Cadillac 500 into a 1988 4dr 4wd GMC

My new wheels came in last week.  Lighting the starter fluid to mount them is not as easy as it sounds, But adventually I got them all mounted and aired up.  8 oz of BB's per wheel.   

Now I finally have them on the truck.  The Truck is still stock with the original 3" body lift.  I have an 8" Suspension System to go under it.      ;D  Might need more tire...  Maybe some military MXZ's

P1010875.jpg

P1010876.jpg

P1010877.jpg

mike, take the bl off and put the susp lift on. the on;y thing bad about a bl on an 80's chevy is those freakn gas tanks hang down and look like crap. my 2nd truck was an 83 with a bl and i hated the tank issue. i think i'd get a 4 or 6" lift. 8" is gonna look like you running you running 31's on it ;D

NICE...what size are those?

Airsoft BB's?  Hope not steel BB's.

Got my 11.00R16 (38x11ishR16) Michelin XL's mounted a few weeks ago.  1" of front lift and fender trimming.

Attachments

• DSCN1163.webp
    DSCN1163.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 325
Nice truck :). Are those 12.50 or 14.50 SX's?

I"ve got a Cad500 rebuilt with MT10 cam and TH400 switch pitch torque convertor. It's going into a 1988 Caprice police car - sleeper.  ;)

Ned,  I like the sound of that project.  I thought I had another 500 lined up last weekend but it turned into a 1980 Fleetwood with a 368. 

My SX's are 12.50's  ~ and yes, THE Front bumper actually is in a different zip code.

I've got two more oil filled Cad500's w/trans sitting on a palate (sp?). They seem to be getting scarce now - many have been shredded it seems. Not sure if I'll ever use them, but they were pulled and the price was right.

Hey, what oil pan did you use on your truck? Eldo or Fleetwood?

Ned Kelly said:
I've got two more oil filled Cad500's w/trans sitting on a palate (sp?). They seem to be getting scarce now - many have been shredded it seems. Not sure if I'll ever use them, but they were pulled and the price was right.

Hey, what oil pan did you use on your truck? Eldo or Fleetwood?

I am running a late 70's Fleetwood 425 mid sump pan.

Thanks to Tim for reviving my interest in my Project tow rig.

P1010875.jpg

I pulled the old V-3500 1-ton 3+3 project out of mothball and into the front of the driveway 10pm Thursday night (to my wife's dismay).  Yep, I work outside on my back in the cold / dark on the concrete if I'm lucky.

My project stopped when I realized that the machine shop never removed the front dipstick tube plug and my Mid sump oil pan required use of the front hole.  Thinking I would need to remove the engine on the behemoth to make the repair...  And not having a crane tall enough to pull an engine from a 1-ton on 38's.  I just pushed it aside.

Tonight I attacked the oil pan and managed to remove it with the engine in place.  I had painstakingly sealed oil pan with the intention of it staying attached forever.  Hanging all my 185lbs from the oil pan would not remove it.  Finally ~getting creative I resorted to using a claw hammer and a flat blade screw driver.  Even then, the pan still gave a good fight.  Upon removal their was no visible sign of excess sealer (excess sealer is well known for killing new engines).  With the oil pan off I now needed to remove a few parts to allow the room needed to get a hammer and punch lined up with the front dipstick tube hole.  The oil pick up tube, and the #3 main bearing needed to be removed,  Not something I wanted to do on a NEW never before run engine, but I did and it was uneventful.  Removed the offending roller bearing that Factory Cadillac installed in the front dipstick hole in 1976.  Reassembled the main bearing and oil pick up assembly with no issues. 

Next is to install the new dipstick.  These are notorious for sticking in the block about 80% installed into position and then breaking off.  I might take a little extra time and polish the dipstick hole before installing my obsolete OEM $32 dip stick tube. 

My greatest fear of rust from the engine sitting 3+ years with no oil, was resolved as everything still looks clean and new.  I never  put oil in it as I was afraid that adding oil would greatly diminish my chances at successfully resealing the oil pan.

Good to hear it's an active project again.

It is a sexy beast.  Then again I'm biased.

What tires are those again?

Attachments

• Meeting of the Minds.webp
    Meeting of the Minds.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 276
Eh, they don't to me but then again my pickup has 11.00R16 Michelin XL's on with 1" of front lift and cutting.  They're 38x11ishR16's. 

What does your front bumper support look like???

My 2wd suburban front bumper support stuff is not working.

I need to figure out what I need to mount the bumper to meet city code for driveway compatiablility.

Uhm, as in the bumper supports going from the frame to the bumper towards the outside?

On my Blazer they look like this:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=22

Number 13 and 14 are the correct parts.  What's not working on yours?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom