Cadillac 500 into a 1988 4dr 4wd GMC

whitfimb

Just a place for me to organise thoughts info and pictures.

This truck ~Now with New Used  (Bed / Doors / 91 Silverado front clip / Interior)

MVC-001F.jpg

1019063.jpg

1019064.jpg

Getting this Fresh rebuilt .030 over 1976 Cadillac 500 engine:  (tomorrow night)
Mild Cam with the biggest lift I can run with out making the strock rocker system a liability. 
On papaer it should make just over 400 HP and over 500 FT.LBs of torque.

1205054.jpg

Web site showing how to drop engine in using factory frame mounting brackets.

http://www.geocities.com/caddyoneton/Moving_along.html

cadmount1.jpg

cadmount2.jpg

cadmount3.jpg

cadmount4.jpg

cadmount5.jpg

cadmount6.jpg

cadmount7.jpg

cadmount8.jpg

cadmount9.jpg

cadmount10.jpg

cadmount11.jpg

cadmount12.jpg

I will look into using a modified method of this design.  I'd prefer for the engine mount pad to sit flush with the face and have a smooth mating finish with slot holes for the mount stud and index pin.

I have recently purchased a new Superlift 8" Suspension Lift System (front & rear springs) with brake lines & shocks.

The truck currently has a 3" body lift.

I also bought a set of like new 38x12.50-16.5 Super Swamper TSL SX's

Cool Dually Pic  ;D 

content

Attachments

• dually.webp
    dually.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 14,559
Wooo Hoo! 

New engine is bolted to the trans and laying between the frame rails. 

Now time for engine mount fabrication...

Yes, It is a One Ton. 

My Money Pit ~  Cadillac 500, Th-400, NP-205,

Some one robbed my Front D-60, & The D-44 front has trashed front shafts.  Doubt I'll be making truck pulls with it.  I still have yet to I dentify the rear but it is a HUGE Full Floater. 

Whitfield said:
Yes, It is a One Ton. 

My Money Pit ~   Cadillac 500, Th-400, NP-205,

Some one robbed my Front D-60, & The D-44 front has trashed front shafts.  Doubt I'll be making truck pulls with it.  I still have yet to I dentify the rear but it is a HUGE Full Floater. 

its a 14 bolt if its a one ton truck

1hybridzuk said:
its a 14 bolt if its a one ton truck

The I'd agree but I know that the rear has ben changed out and the Center is HUGE!!!  I'll check it out soon. 
may just be that I've been out of working on fullsized stuff too long.

Enigne in / Engine out (X2)....    After midnight finishing up, second night in a row.

Fabbbed up the motor mount adapter plates last night.  Just a simple bolt in design using 3/8" plate.    I could have used 1/4" with some extra gusseting and mounting points, But the 3/8" made it strong and simple.

Trimmed the fire wall seam on the drivers side and the firewall shield plate around the Hydra-boost braking system.  I'm ready to test fit the mounts but out of me time for the week. 

Minupliating a fire wall on a an Old GMC truck aint nothing like a sammy.  A Sammy frame bends much easier.

I'll try ot snap a few pics next time out....  This was just a mad wrenching & fabbing sessiong.

The diff isn't round is it?  As in literally round with a giant removable 3rd member?

If it is it's one of the old Eaton behemoths.  Old school beefy. 8)

Update:

Engine in / out and back in again.  This time in the daylight, and good thing too as i found a cracked flex plate (Cracks at all 3 bolt holes, and never would have seen it if not for teh paint.  I also found the Torque Converter bolt holes suspect.  As the bolts wobbled in the holes until the last two turns.  Looked like someone had threaded 3/8 corse thread into fine thread holes.  As a long term 500Ft. LBS fix. I have drilled and rethreaded the holes to 7/16 and am now using 7/16 ARP converter bolts.   

Off to the U-wrench it.  Pulled a 1980 Caddy 6.0L and TH-400 to harvested the flexplate.    :o  Big Block Parts are heavy...

Back to the Truck:  Fire wall and body seam have now been altered and pushed back for more drives side head clearance.  Front crossmember has been notched for Engine Mount Stud (Ford Style) clearance.

My Q-jet Carb gets bench tested and run on Wed. 
~Rebuilt, Mic'd, Blueprinted, flow tested, modified idle circuit, new shaft bushings, and a cleaning / plating for a like new finish. 

Engine is back in the hole.  Next big steps are Radiator serviced and running Exhaust.

I might pull and fine tune the engine mounting plates once more.  Then begin bolting on the acessories and preparing for break in. 

Hung fresh front doors and bought two fresh 91 Silverado fenders.  Now almost every body part is a different color.

AJMBLAZER said:
The diff isn't round is it? As in literally round with a giant removable 3rd member?

If it is it's one of the old Eaton behemoths. Old school beefy. 8)

Nope I saw an Eaton in a 1-ton Dump truck once.  This is either Corperate or Dana. 

Rear looks like a corperate as their is no writng on the the ears like a Dana. 

Engine mounts got cut bent and re-welded. 

I've gotta repair a blind hole in the exhaust manifold.  Fasten-all wants $67 for a Heli-coil kit.  I had to pass.

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

There's CK5's axle identification chart.  It's 8 lug, right?  How many cover bolts?  FF hub sticking out?

AJMBLAZER said:
http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

There's CK5's axle identification chart.  It's 8 lug, right?  How many cover bolts?  FF hub sticking out?

Thanks,  I checked it out. 

Mine is an 8 Lug, Dually Rear (Long Lugs and shock mounts for a commercial / Narrow frame).  Yes it is a Full Floater.  Looks Like a D-70 or Corp 14 bolt.  My truck was originaly a Diesel.  I thought the Dana Rear had the model # stamped or embossed on the right lower center to tube support rib.  Mine has no stamping which leads me to believe corp 14 bolt.

Engine is in Mounts are tweaked, welded, done!  I installed the exhaust manifolds yesterday.  Getting the small things done correctly takes time.  About 3 + hrs recleaning threads and aligning holes (Had to enlarge two in the cast iron manifold).  Bolting up acessories, and shopping for a radiator.  My built Q-jet is due back  this week.  I get to play with mounting up the PS an Hydroboost to the Caddy motor later this week.  Still a good number of small things to work out, but getting much closer. 

Sounds like some definate progress has been going on.  Must be nice.

Do you think you have a chassis cab axle?  In the 73-87 era trucks they used the Dana 70 only in the dually pickups while the SRW's and chassis cab trucks got 14FF's.  The chassis cab 14FF is notable because if you change out the drums for regular SRW stuff it's about the perfect width for a Jeep or Toyota.
That's not to say that someone didn't swap in a 14FF from a 88+ dually.

A 14FF's shape is pretty hard to mistake for anything else.  Does it have that big lower projection?

My truck cab has GMC cab chassis decals inside, but it is not a commercial frame as the 1/2 ton bed fit just fine.  Commercial Chassis is super Narrow with a Narrow dually rear.

I'm 90% sure it is a 14 Bolt FF as the webbing from the center to the tubes looks rounded as opposed to the Dana's more straight lines.   

I'm working on cleaniong up acesseries....  No fun .

I did  have a guy offer me a NEW 455 Pontiac Catalina 4-core radiator for $30.  I think I might be running a Pontiac radiator for a while.  ;D

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom