What radiator?

alans87zuk said:
So does anyone have a diagram of a properly plumbed IDI!  I'm just getting started on mine and would much prefer to not have heating issue's.
Acme adapters site does. Back of the head goes to heater core.

Yes but like Spokerider said, when you turn the heater control valve off no water flow goes through that port either in or out. not sure of the direction of flow there. I had two Volkswagen 1.6 td's and they had different fittings there,one had a single outlet and the other had a dual outlet. The one with the dual outlet has the outlet for the heater core 90 degrees from the one Jeff says to use for your heater connection,so what I'm trying to figure out is where I would tie the one Jeff says to use into the cooling system.

alans87zuk said:
Yes but like Spokerider said, when you turn the heater control valve off no water flow goes through that port either in or out. not sure of the direction of flow there. I had two Volkswagen 1.6 td's and they had different fittings there,one had a single outlet and the other had a dual outlet. The one with the dual outlet has the outlet for the heater core 90 degrees from the one Jeff says to use for your heater connection,so what I'm trying to figure out is where I would tie the one Jeff says to use into the cooling system.
You're right. I wasn't thinking about the heater valve. I've never seen a dual outlet for the back. Don't know why you'd need that. If I was doing a swap with a heater valve I'd get a 4 port valve. I don't have a part number or an application to look for but I've seen these. You will always have coolant flowing through, either through the heater core or bypassing the heater core. The hoses he suggests may or may not work.

View attachment Coolant.webp

So there I was looking at a 2020 GMC Colorado with the 2.8L 4 cyl diesel.

Whadda ya know, from the factory, the top coolant hose exited the radiator on the passenger side, was routed across the top of the radiator shroud over to the drivers side where it ran down to the block.
In addition, they had at least one splice in the hose.

Dunno why I was so opposed to doing something like that.

Any way, perhaps if a fellow is looking for a P shaped upper coolant hose and a factory way of joining hoses, you may want to check out a 2020 Colorado diesel....

I also have a 1988 Samurai with a 99 VW TDI swap.  I'm at the radiator stage now and just happen to have a 1970 MGB that I just put a new crossflow 3 core aluminum radiator in.  This radiator has the inlet and outlet on the drivers side.  The MK2 radiator is roughly 13.5" tall x 25.6" wide and the MGB radiator is 14" tall x 20" wide and is a 3 core cross flow.

Attachments

That MGB radiator looks like a great fit!
Please post up fitment pics!

However... just because it has the inlet and outlet on the same side, does not make it a crossflow, the cores flow vertically in the photo, not across laterally.

Suzuki_dude said:
You're right. I wasn't thinking about the heater valve. I've never seen a dual outlet for the back. Don't know why you'd need that. If I was doing a swap with a heater valve I'd get a 4 port valve. I don't have a part number or an application to look for but I've seen these. You will always have coolant flowing through, either through the heater core or bypassing the heater core. The hoses he suggests may or may not work.

View attachment 255898
Just search "bypass heater valve" with the correct size hose ports, I believe it's 16mm or 5/8" hose.

Part # 85698014 is a zinc plated steel valve of this type, with 5/8" connections.

s-l400.jpg

Suzuki_Dude, I can't figure out where I saved my Bentley manual file to reference the alh, but would it be safe to assume that this diagram you posted would be virtually identical to the ALH (for swap purposes) except for just moving that coolant flange on the rear side of the cylinder head back to the rear of the cylinder head? Same connections?

Chuck78 said:
Suzuki_Dude, I can't figure out where I saved my Bentley manual file to reference the alh, but would it be safe to assume that this diagram you posted would be virtually identical to the ALH (for swap purposes) except for just moving that coolant flange on the rear side of the cylinder head back to the rear of the cylinder head? Same connections?
Yes. Heater core connection is the rear of head but goes through valve the same. 

Chuck78 said:
Just search "bypass heater valve" with the correct size hose ports, I believe it's 16mm or 5/8" hose.

Part # 85698014 is a zinc plated steel valve of this type, with 5/8" connections.

s-l400.jpg

Almost seems like a guy could turn that four leg valve into a three leg valve and plumb in a second under hood heater core for auxiliary cooling when necessary....

westcoaster said:
Almost seems like a guy could turn that four leg valve into a three leg valve and plumb in a second under hood heater core for auxiliary cooling when necessary....
You should never need auxiliary cooling. Something is wrong if you do.

My cross over rad from an 84 quattro, vw does the trick. I have dually electrics, and a mustang aux oil cooler, and remote mounted oil filter and thermostatic sandwich for the oil cooler. I'm also still plumbed in with the factory motor oil heat exchanger for quick oil temp increase to reduce the excessive cold oil pressure when starting....

S&P Automotive sell an intercooler/radiator combo dual pass for Mk1 vw with fans that I used for my 1.9 mtdi build. Fits barely with the lower feet installed forward inside the grill area and the top angled back toward the engine.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom