Now A Build That Is Completely Different....

This is pretty neat.  I have a buddy with a '65 CJ5 (with 55k original miles [thumbsup] ), and I find the 134 engine is anemic at best.  My 8v tracker is heavier, and much quicker, even with the 3sp auto. 

His jeep has something like 1 inch exhaust on it, so opening it up a bit might bring the power up a bit, but that's another story for another day...

I look forward to more updates on how it works out!

Sucessfully drove the jeep around the block tonight. It was far from perfect but i was able to drive and sort of stop. The brakes are still a bit spongy. I also believe i have to retime it still, it ran fine till i got almost home and it was bucking on me and it backfired a bit.It just seemed to not like to drive under a load. It did have great power when i first started just by the back portion of the block it get sickly. Still gives me the EGR code, nothing else.
Also have to do something about my gas pedal it made my foot hurt soooo bad at the angle it is at. Still good to have it actually on pavement. Better will be when it is on dirt.

It made it out of the garage today for a few laps around the block. Here is a video of the last "try" before i had an issue and ran over my neighbors mailbox.

The Jeep is running much better after  i have been running it more and more and gave it a bottle of sea foam in the tank, running a very heavy mix to clean injectors. I have to get a baffle to add some more back pressure to the EGR so i can clear the code and have the computer to not back off on the timing so i can drive at higher RPMs without the misfire and poor performance. But in first and second the motor is real good for this size vehicle. The 5 speed shifts sooo nice compared to the original 3 speed. I am now finding a few more leaks. The seal on the output of the tranny is leaking like hell, which sucks cause i did just replace it with a new one. I guess i need a speedy sleeve for the samurai intermediate shaft. And i will need a new pinion seal for the rear axle. Sooo close but i still have a few more things to go before it sees the main road and traffic speeds.

Unfortuantely no, but it did happen after i turned the corner of the last video. I made a slow wide turn onto the next road. I had the kids with me and they said something so i turned my head quickly to see them as i was centering the wheel. I turned back to keep driving and noticed that the jeep wasnt not responding and i had no time but ran over the mailbox then stopped before the tree. I was going maybe 5MPH. So the neighbors got a new mailbox post. Kids had a huge laugh over it all. My steering coupler came off of my steering column splined shaft. I have to find out how this happened since i had it tightened down securely. It really bugged me cause i was riding the jeep earlier a few times with no issues with steering, heck there wasnt a clunk or anything when it fell off, just a steering wheel that kept turning and turning. It was a good laugh for all and a small hole in the wallet.

DanStew said:
Unfortuantely no, but it did happen after i turned the corner of the last video. I made a slow wide turn onto the next road. I had the kids with me and they said something so i turned my head quickly to see them as i was centering the wheel. I turned back to keep driving and noticed that the jeep wasnt not responding and i had no time but ran over the mailbox then stopped before the tree. I was going maybe 5MPH. So the neighbors got a new mailbox post. Kids had a huge laugh over it all. My steering coupler came off of my steering column splined shaft. I have to find out how this happened since i had it tightened down securely. It really bugged me cause i was riding the jeep earlier a few times with no issues with steering, heck there wasnt a clunk or anything when it fell off, just a steering wheel that kept turning and turning. It was a good laugh for all and a small hole in the wallet.

LOL, good story.  Glad the only thing hurt was a mailbox post.

What is your steering setup again?  Samurai steering column and trackick shaft from the column to the box?
And the shaft came off the steering column shaft, right?

I got some bling in the mail today

IMAG0840.jpg

I had to take the intake off to clean the EGR port to fix the check engine light and i found a mud dawber nest in the EGR runner. The little bastage had to go in through the exhaust side and cross the head and then nest in the intake. I got that cleaned and decided that while i had everything apart, i should get the injectors rebuilt and cleaned so i dont have to worry about them again. So i will get it together this week and hope to drive it nicely around the block.

Well the rig still runs but not all that great. i am waiting for a new gas tank to get in before i give it another going through since i exhausted every other avenue (sensors, timing etc.) I got to looking at my original tranny tunnel i made and i didnt like how it is looking for me to install a boot for the shifter, i would have needed to make a custom boot and it was not going to look good. So i cut the tunnel down so it is just over the shifter housing and i can use a factory style boot and it will look normal.

Before
tunnel5.jpg

It was a two piece design, and i just wasnt happy with it after staring at it for a while.

After.
IMAG0968_zps78311995.jpg

IMAG0967_zpsaabd6c9f.jpg

IMAG0966_zps3fe6811e.jpg

I still need to fill in two gaps between top piece and the original bottom, drill some holes so it can bolt to it. The top can come off and i have access to the transmission and tcase. I am going to cut and weld in two cup holders on the back empty section  :)

Well i got the rear tank installed. It is a 1970 CJ5 unit.  Thanks Nick!!!!

I modified the CJ sending unit and installed a wrangler in tank electric pump. Unfortunately the access hole to the tank was too small for me to mount my aftermarket fuel gauge sending unit to it, so i had to cut out another hole to install the sending unit. One thing to know about the tank is the one vent tube from the side actually is a complete tube going from one side to the other. I unfortuantely found that out the hard way when i drilled the hole for the sending unit. Fortuantely it was only a little nick and since it is the fuel return i am not worried about a leak in the tank from it.

IMAG0988_zps047b683f.jpg

here is the fuel pump on the CJ sending unit. Very easy mod, measure how deep your tank, cut the tub, clamp on the new pump. I ran the wire through the other tube on the sending unit.

The tank mounted
IMAG0992_zps9ec533e2.jpg

Fuel filler.
IMAG0991_zps5ecddfe8.jpg

Whole lotta room under my driver seat. i have to remake the seat brackets now, which is fine, i wasnt happy with old one.
IMAG0993_zps69a3e90b.jpg

And made a plate for the original fuel filler opening. Fortuantely it just unbolts and i cut the plate and bolted it back. I just need to figure a way to paint it to match the patina of the rest of the jeep. Heck i may just leave it this way.
IMAG0994_zps3ef844f3.jpg

The fuel lines are now nicely tucked under the body away from trail damage, the fuel pump is soooooooooooooooo quiet now.

An update on the jeep. I got a set of corbeau Baja low backs for the rig. i had to notch the wheelwells to get a bit more room for them..

IMAG0163_zpsd74fcec7.jpg

IMAG0164_zps5653361f.jpg

IMAG0165_zps7c2cc441.jpg

seats done
IMAG0167_zps9b4fb515.jpg

IMAG0168_zps6393913a.jpg

IMAG0169_zps47ccc126.jpg

IMAG0170_zps787523ac.jpg

It is great to have the seats in but it isnt driving anytime soon. I swapped out a sidekick slip yoke to replace the samurai one so i could keep oil in the transmission. Turns out the sidekick yoke is 1/2 longer than the Samurai. and i could not bolt the transfercase back in its mount. I made a trip to the bearing shop to see if they had anything in their books for a seal that would fit with the samurai yoke, but there is nothing available. So i sent out the intermediate shaft out and cross my fingers that they can remove 3/4 inch of length out of the shaft. They made this shaft and it had about an 1 1/2 of tube between yokes.

I also had a samurai speedo cable modified to fit the military speedometer, i am gonna be curious to find out how off i will be on speed with the setup.

Before i pulled the intermediate shaft the rig was driving around real nicely. Good power and the brakes stopped on a dime when i got the rear disc adjusted properly.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom