Now A Build That Is Completely Different....

Got the steering done today. The 1974 CJ5 steering column was cut down about 5 inches, and rewelded. The steering is just a Grant product.
steer1.jpg

The column as close and up on the dash to give lots of room to get in and out.
steer3.jpg

I made the support for the firewall to hold the column down.
steer4.jpg

steer2.jpg

The shaft to connect the gear box to column is part XJ (bottom to gearbox) and the top prtion and slip shaft was from a newer Dodge ram. I jsut had to weld one part of the slip tube to the top shaft.

I still need to get a pressure hose for the steering pump, but i think a XJ unit may work fine.

Well it is Spaghetti Time for the Jeep. I am going through the Sidekick Wiring harness and removing all that i will not be needing. It didnt take that long, but the worst thing was removing the damn electrical tape and ending up with tarred hands from it :(

Tape ( and this is the second pile)
wires2.jpg

Here is the stuff not needed.
wires4.jpg

wires3.jpg

The end product before i tape it up
wires1.jpg

Now to get a marine fuse block and start wiring it up.

working on the wiring now. i pretty much got all the engine management connected and routed. Working on the fuse block now.

computer1.jpg

still a bit of spaghetti, but it is getting worked out.

Also got the VSS mounted, just need to connect it to the computer
vss.jpg

very blurry pic of the VSS connection in the engine bay.
vss2.jpg

Diggin the fuel tank and shock mounts.  What did you make the tank out of and how many gallons is it?  I've been thinking about building one for my buggy.  I have a great, out of the way spot for one, but a regular fuel cell won't fit.

I just had some sheet metal around, about 18 gauge. I took the neck from a military gas tank for the same jeep and welded it to the tank to fit like an original unit. I think it is about 8 gallons. The factory military tank was 16 gallons and this tank is close to it but lost a few inches on the inside towards the middle so i could fit the tranny tunnel in there.

You do some fine work Danstew.  Good attention to details.  My hat is definately off to ya!  I like the Suzuki twist to the build and I think it will perform impressively when completed.

Well it has been a while since i last posted up. I am still so close to getting it running, but just $$ is keeping me from getting to the finish line.

Here is how it sits now.
IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

I got the steering all connected and finally i can move it out of the garage and use the steering wheel instead of moving the wheels to get into position.

I just got my gauges.
IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

I still need to get the adapters to mate them to the motor, but at least i can fill up the holes.

Biggest thing i need to get it running is to get the fuel system together. I am going the Ford Truck inline pump route and i need to get my tank sealed up, those are the biggest $$ right now. Oh an i am waiting for a track/kick to get in the junkyard so i can get an igniter.  Been working alot of overtime and hopefully it will get running soon.

Well it is getting closer to the end of the build.
No real pics but i have gotten alot of things buttoned down.
Fuel system is installed
Brakes are buttoned up.
Cooling system is installed.
Belts put on accessories

Things left to do is

Finish exhaust, i have the tube welded up but need to make the mounts to hang it.
I have to add fluid to cooling, brakes, power steering and of course fuel.
Rear tailights need to be addressed. I want to use original style lights but i need new innards for the housings so i need to do that or make some adapter rings so grommeted trailer lights can fit in the stock M38a1 holes.
I also need to run all the gauges.
Waiting for the shocks to come in to install them.

I found a big GOTCHA earlier this week. I was under the jeep beating on the front yoke to get to the pinion seal and i looked up at the oil pan and noticed it only had 2 bolts holding it to the motor. Glad I caught this cause as i found out when removing oil pan, there wasnt any gasket on it. So i have a pan gasket ordered and i went to the junkyard and got my bolts. So i can get the motor buttoned up and oil filled in the motor.

I am getting scared though, I am cringing as i think about starting the motor and waiting for the computer to somehow go up in magic smoke. i am crossing fingers on that.

DanStew said:
I found a big GOTCHA earlier this week. I was under the jeep beating on the front yoke to get to the pinion seal and i looked up at the oil pan and noticed it only had 2 bolts holding it to the motor. Glad I caught this cause as i found out when removing oil pan, there wasnt any gasket on it. So i have a pan gasket ordered and i went to the junkyard and got my bolts. So i can get the motor buttoned up and oil filled in the motor.

They don't use a gasket from the factory, just RTV/silicone.  I don't recommend using a gasket either.  I hate oil pan gaskets...haven't had one yet that didn't leak.

It LIVES!!!!!
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/DanStewIII/?action=view&current=VIDEO0089.mp4

Hope to drive it tomorrow when i get the clutch adjusted.  It is running real rough, possibly missing a cylinder. I pulled plug #1 and it ran with no problem, put back and pulled #2 and it died. plugged 2 back in and started it ran, then i pulled plug 3 and it died. Plugged 3 back in and then started and last pulled plug 4 and it kept running. Odd. I put my timing light to it and it didnt want to work with the teeny tiny plug wires for the inductive pickup. It wants to die if you give it gas at the pedal. It seems to be getting a little better than when i first started it but it just isnt right yet.

I am going to rat rod it for now and keep color as is. Who knows about what it maybe later on. My daughter wants it the old seafoam green color.

DanStew said:
It is running real rough, possibly missing a cylinder. I pulled plug #1 and it ran with no problem, put back and pulled #2 and it died. plugged 2 back in and started it ran, then i pulled plug 3 and it died. Plugged 3 back in and then started and last pulled plug 4 and it kept running. Odd. 

Was this before or after you swapped plug wires 1 and 4 around on the distributor cap?

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom