Now A Build That Is Completely Different....

DanStew

I have had alot of differnt rigs, suzukis, jeeps, toyotas.
This next build is definately differnt.

I picked up this 1963 Jeep M38a1 in December
It came in pieces and i had to load it all in a box truck.

Here it is with the body on the frame.
jeep1.jpg

IT came with most of the original setup but missing alot. It was a true barn rig.

I immediately ditched the stock springs and moutned XJ rear springs on all corners.
Here is how it sits now. I made the new springs mounts with abotu a 1 inch lift incorporated in them. With teh new springs I easy will fit the 33s

Here is how it sits now.
jeep21.jpg

I decided early on i didnt want to use the original fhead 4 cyl and drive train. I ahve build a CJ5 before but i wanted to make the rig a little more highway friendly. So I wanted to use a samurai drivetrain for it, because of the 5 speed transmission, and teh samurai matched the wheelbase perfectly.

So this weekend I got the heart of the build.
motor1.jpg

1.6L 16v motor with all harness and most accesories. With it came a sammy tranny and tcase and sidekick trannys.
parts1.jpg

So I am starting to go thoguh it all. It looks like I am gonig to use the Sidekick 2wd tranny and the samurai Tcase. I am going to keep the jeep axles with the 5.38 gears. I am gonig to use all electronics for the motor cause I really want fuel injection. The Jeep is gonig to be a real sleeper. You wont know it was the suzuki heart to it by looking on the outside. Dash is gonig to remain the same. I will need to find an adapter to run the VSS with the mechanical military speedo.

I got alot of work to do. I still need to weld up the spring mounts so i can get on with the rest of the build. I will post more updates. I hope to get it running by June.

I don't know man.....

It seems to me that humiliating a Suzuki Motor by putting it into a Heep
should probably be against International Treaty....... :o :o ;D

[wave]  [wave]

Oh it will be pretty when it is nice  :)

I wanted a small motor to get fuel economy and the 5 speed for the highway. For me this is the best bang for the buck. Eventually i would like to throw in the VW diesel.  :)

why not? build what you got, keep the price low. I had a 57 m38a1, got a lot of flex out of the 13 leaf leaf packs. yes 13 leafs. didn't run the shocks though. the sammy motor is both lighter and stronger, axles should live for a while, although the dana 27 in front is not the greatest. make sure the nut on the back axle shafts in the dana44 are real tight.
oh the 9 by 1 inch brakes suck, find backing plates and drums from a newer cj 5, that are 11by 1.5 inches .
good luck and have fun!! 

I am amazed somebody could get flex out of the 13 leaf packs. It is amazing how light teh XJ leaf packs are comapred to the stockers. I will be going disc in the front and either disc/FF in the rear or 11 inch drums. Depends what I find. I had another CJ5 with the 231 V6 and 34s and beat the snot out of the dana 27. I was surprised how it lasted. The rig isnt gonig to be much of a hardcore trail rig. It will be light duty, I have my 4runner for the tougher stuff. :)

I put this build in this forum cause I would be asking more sidekick questions pertainnig to the motor. I didnt see a builds specific forum, o i put it in here.

crazysammi87 said:
Yea it's cool it's just not sidekick or geo tracker tech that's all I'm saying. It's in the wrong thread.

Doesn't THIS (...1.6L 16v motor...) make it a legitimate Tracker/ Sidekick tech topic ??  It may be a Heep, but it will still beat with the Heart of a Suzuki....

.....but of course that poor motor might need to have anti-rejection meds squirted down the carburetor the rest of it's life...... :o :o ;D

Workamper said:
Doesn't THIS (...1.6L 16v motor...) make it a legitimate Tracker/ Sidekick tech topic ??  It may be a Heep, but it will still beat with the Heart of a Suzuki....

.....but of course that poor motor might need to have anti-rejection meds squirted down the carburetor the rest of it's life...... :o :o ;D

Yes ~ Yes it does.... 

Especially when he gets into rigging the stand alone EFI swap / making it run.  It is this outside the box tech where you learn the most info and what it takes to make them work. 

I sent him a Pm  ~ ~ ~ ~

BUT IT'S NOT, NOR EVER WAS AN IFS RIG! This thread obviously belongs under Links and Deals!  ;) ;D

Hehe. The thread's moved more than the Jeep has!

I like it. I rank this alongside Jeeps on Toyota axles on my list of bastardizations that work! ;D

catfishblues said:
I like it. I rank this alongside Jeeps on Toyota axles on my list of bastardizations that work! ;D

Funny ~ I was just thinking how cool it would be to set up a 60's Cj-6 with a GV 2.5L / Kicker III on Yj's / Xj's and TG Yota's or FJ-80's. 

I'm Appalled...  And disappointed in you guys...

This doesn't belong under IFS... Even if he could get that Suzuki powered Heep to run on chicken manure...

He's already suggested he might change over to a VW diesel when it gets further along...

And If I was interested in reading about Diesel power, or Straight axles... Or better yet... How to stuff a long transmission into the short wheel base confines of an M38...  I would be looking elsewhere for those "outside the box" ideas...

I believe that most of the hits to date on this post are from readers equally shocked... that it would ever appear in our IFS TECH......  Many more (In my opinion) are our IFS readers that also show a large interest, and post in the Samurai Tech section...

Jeff (I have three Jeeps in my barn, A Willys, A Keiser, and an AMC)

The disadvantage of having it here  ::)  it may ruffel a few feathers but no one is required to follow it.

I welcome all projects offering tech related to Track / Kicks. 

I believe incresing traffic and reader base is a good thing. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom