New Taco Diesel Build

made some progress after work. I got the rear coolant lines hooked up and replaced my broken coolant flange on the rear of the head. also got the starter in, replaced the valve cover gasket and installed a new oil filter and oil. I made a couple egr block off plates. the one on the exhaust side I tapped for my egt probe. Still have a bit of fiddling with the intake. Don't have a ton of clearance from the firewall so ill need to make a flange with a 90 degree bend on it. not 100% sure if I want to mount a air to water intercooler by the brake booster or a fmic infront of the rad.

FJhirP4l.jpg

Spent most of the day in the garage but made very slow progress.
Got the turbo clocked to a better position
iIMZZAgl.jpg

Also finished the intake and mounted it. Made 2 blockoff plates for the intake flap and egr. Mounted the iac/map to the intake flap plate and then mounted the map sensor for my external gauge to the egr blockoff plate. unfortunately I broke the tip off my gauge map sensor when taking it out of the plate to paint. Not sure if I can figure out a way to mount it as is and will probably have to order another sensor. I'm still getting the hang of welding and my "Race pipe" is pretty ugly and im not sure if its going to hold pressure or not. May have to revisit that at some point.
7S7sm9xl.jpg

Not a ton of clearance for the intake piping but it just clears the firewall
epBhzSXl.jpg

I think im going to go with this intercooler. it will fit perfectly in the back corner of the engine bay and make intake piping super easy to deal with.
intercooler_type13_picture.jpg

I've been trying to put off the wiring until the end but im running out of stuff I can do. I need to order a v band ring to modify my old down pipe and theres no point In mounting the rad until the wiring is done for easier access to everything. I may start throwing the harness into the truck tomorrow.

Got like 90% of the harness in the truck on Sunday. Mainly just gotta run a relay to power it. I also just put in an order for that water to air intercooler and will hopefully stop by Malone's on Friday to get the ecu tuned. I won't have a chance to play with it this weekend but should hopefully have it running in the next couple of weeks.

Starting to think the turbo and bearing wear were from oil contamination. I don't think I remembered to change the oil after replacing the head gasket with that bent valve. Must have had a bunch of brake cleaner and contamination in it 🤦??? such a dumb mistake lol.

I picked the ecu up from Malone this afternoon. Jerry rigged a bit of wiring and tried to start and nothing. Cut the input line to my inline fuel pump and rigged it on manually and turned key and nothing. Found a wire with a fuse I forgot to hook up added 12v to that and nothing. Run new ground wires to fees the ecu relay and nothing. Try another relay and it fires a couple times while cranking. Look under the truck and there's a puddle of diesel 🤦???. Fuel line split going into my lift pump and it wasn't pumping fuel. Fixed that and it fired right up 😃 turns out I can read wiring diagrams and make a harness. 1 or 2 more good days putting everything back together and it'll be ready to go 😊

Didn't get too much done this weekend but modified my downpipe and got the exhaust hooked up. It's a bit louder then the aaz with holset, not 100% sure if I'm gonna keep it straight piped or put in a resonator or something.
QhOOAAw.jpg

Also picked up my awic. Fits nicely in the corner of the engine bay. Should have the rest of my couplers and will pick up some 2" pipe to get it installed next weekend.
Pw8kdyl.jpg

Made a new flange for the air filter box after work. Inlet to the turbo is 1.75". Had a 2.5-2" silicone 90 left over and a small bit of 2.5" pipe I welded onto some flat plate.  2-1.75" silicone 90 coupler is in the mail. Should hopefully be able to get most of it finished this week. Still haven't figured out 100% what I want to use for a heat exchanger for the intercooler but will probably be the last piece of the puzzle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_182831.webp
    IMG_20200218_182831.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 76
RunninWild date=1582079778 said:
Still haven't figured out 100% what I want to use for a heat exchanger for the intercooler but will probably be the last piece of the puzzle.

The few of these I have seen in use ,  they were just cooled with the circulation of engine coolant .

P

Newfie-Zuk date=1582340004 said:
The few of these I have seen in use ,  they were just cooled with the circulation of engine coolant .

P

I think that's more of a heavy equipment thing. Engine coolant is quite a bit hotter then ideal water temps. Pretty much all the aftermarket setups I've looked into run a dedicated coolant loop. Pretty sure I've found one that'll work. It's 24x8x2.5 and should fit nicely behind the grill

Got the throttle mounted today. mount is pretty ugly as im basically down to small scraps of metal but its solid and works
yrR3gEql.jpg

7mCRWBU.jpg

Also managed to get the rad supper welded back in and the rad in as well as the intake finished. Need to track down a 1 3\8 to 1" reducer for the lower rad hose  not much left to do other then clean up some wiring and finished a few odds and ends
f9PpVBL.jpg

RunninWild date=1582343402 said:
I think that's more of a heavy equipment thing. Engine coolant is quite a bit hotter then ideal water temps. Pretty much all the aftermarket setups I've looked into run a dedicated coolant loop. Pretty sure I've found one that'll work. It's 24x8x2.5 and should fit nicely behind the grill.

I would use the rad. My lower hose is always cold. Basically ambient temps. Can't get any better than that.

I ended up ordering a 24x8x2.5 heat exchanger that should fit perfectly behind the grill. My iat sensor is mounted on my intake manifold so I'll be able to log temps pre, during and post pulls and hard driving. Will be interesting to be able to datalog like that 😊

Got the truck finished this weekend. The heat exchanger fit perfectly behind the grill. Forgot to grab a pic of it but I'll post one eventually. Truck still wasn't making boost until almost redline. Tracked it down to a smushed actuator only allowing less then 1\2 the throw of the vanes. New one is in the mail and should be here tonight.

Here's a video with a walk around of the truck

https://imgur.com/a/FuP1v7n

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_131914.webp
    IMG_20200301_131914.webp
    46.1 KB · Views: 68
Put a new actuator on and man this thing hauls ass! So much better then the aaz. Really wish I had of just started with this setup lol. Have a bit of wiring to fix and a couple small things to wrap up but really happy with it. Was fish tailing like crazy in 2nd in the rain last night it's a lot of fun.  Kind of hoping the cam fails so I have an excuse to throw on bigger injectors\turbo and shoot for like 250hp or 300 hp

I contacted Malone and he said I should be seeing around 22psi. I was only getting like 18 so I readjusted the vnt actuator and it was putting out about 23psi at wot after. I put about 30 or 40km on the truck this weekend. It pulls really hard. Was able to spin my 35s on damp pavement in 3rd at 60kmh  going past 3\4 throttle lol. Had a intake hose blow off on my way home so I limped it back a couple km. Fixed the hose and wasn't getting any boost after. Pulled my intake piping and noticed the pipes were covered in oil. Turbo has no in or out play and the up and down just feels like normal bearing movement (just a tiny amount). Looks like the oil seals need to be replaced. I don't have the crank vent hooked to my intake so it's definitely from the turbo.

I tracked my no boost issue down to a faulty n75. Put a new one on now I'm seeing about 20psi. Not sure if the turbo is on its way out or why it's boosting less but I'm probably going to have to rebuild it fairly soon. The coupler coming out of the turbo is also fairly loose which could be causing a boost leak as well. But if that was the case I think the n75 would try and compensate 🤔. More to play around with I guess .

Still haven't driven the truck much. I put 2 leafs back in the front packs and the truck is way more stable. I'm gonna have to lower pressure in the rear now but it's a lot better. Doesn't roll over on corners anymore and actually handles fairly well. The front brakes need a bit of work but I'm starting to get really happy with it. Going to start taking it to work this week and once I get some miles on it and comfortable with its reliability I'll start hitting some trails

If there is no play in the turbo and you do not have the crank vent hooked up , and your pulling in oil on the turbo :

Attach the crank vent , before you start pulling apart your turbo ... Without the vent attached , you may have positive pressure in the engine's  base ..

If you have a positive pressure in the base ,  the oil will not drain away from the turbocharger ..

If it cannot drain way , it's the same as a plugged return hose . 

The oil not being able to drain away from the Turbocharger ;  It will eventually backup and flow back through the turbo oil shaft seals , into the turbo itself , and eventually the engine ...  :)

If left unchecked , the seals will coke up , harden , and allow a full flow of oil through the turbo into the engine .....

If great enough it will lead to a diesel runway situation.....  :o :o

Hook up your vent and try driving it ... The oil should subside and with use clean itself out .... [thumbsup]

P

By not hooked up I mean it's just venting to atmosphere. I posted on TDI club and those guys are saying it's normal for these turbos to leak a bit of oil.

I drove about 60km last night without any issues. Truck never got above 145f. Today I towed my boat to the lake 20km with it each way. Pulls it very well. No lack of power or trouble getting it moving at all! I did go into limp mode on the way there and coolant was getting up there on the way home 170f. I have a small coolant leak onto my exhaust and it's the first time I've seen it get above 145f so I was getting a little paranoid as it was raising pretty fast before I got home. Still got some bugs to work out but I'm happy with where it's going

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom