New Taco Diesel Build

aaz? I don't remember what you have for an engine.

I do recall Paul saying, that low oil pressure can result if the oil squirters are not assembled with sealer, and that the O ring on the bottom / inside of the oil pump shaft can be a culprit, if it's worn and leaking.

Did you seal the oil squirters and replace the pump o ring?
Another possible cause is debris plugging up the oil pick up screen, bits of silicone, rag lint, etc. I would drop the pan and pump just to clean the screen and rule this out as one of the causes.

VW oil pumps rarely wear out, and are an unlikely culprit, so I've read.

Yeah it's an aaz. Oil pump is new. I'm not 100% sure what I did with the squirters it was a good 3 or 4 years ago since I assembled the motor. I may not have sealed them though. Is that meant to be like threadlocker or something else?

I think I'm just gonna swap in a bhw with a stage 2 and call it good. Cost will be similar and then I can get this motor on a stand and have a better look at it and sell it when the time comes.

Not thread locker, but a sealer. There is a VW specific sealer, I just used some from the local motorcycle shop I buy supplies from...forget the brand name...

Also, I meant the O ring in the vacuum pump shaft, not the oil pump...?...sorry.

I'm just gonna cut my losses on this motor. Hopefully the main bearings are still in good shape and it just needs the sealant on the oil squirters. Almost sure I didn't use any sealant on them 🤷???. Hopefully such a stupid oversight didn't completely waste all that work

Took this bhw home at 10am this morning. 270k on it with a blown tranny for $500. 2 sets of rims\ tires and a trailer hitch with mint leather seats. Should be able to get my money out of it pretty easy.
XYOcwmI.jpg
Cam lobes are pointy and "look" ok to me. Think I may have got lucky.
Xjehilq.jpg
Heres a shot of the funky pump deuce injectors powered by the cam
7ZWemBb.jpg
.and here is where I after 4 hours or so. They don't make these things easy to work on. I definitely wouldn't want to attempt to put it back together. Ecu is our and the wiring harness is all disconnected. Other then the coolant lines into the heater core all that's left are the bolts holding the motor to the tranny. Oh also found a bunch of brown sludge when I drained the rad. Love when people use "universal" antifreeze 🤦???
qrh19HF.jpg
gonna try and get at the tranny bolts tomorrow and get the garage cleaned up. I'll borrow a hoist and pull the motor next weekend.

sK8SSyD.jpg
motor, wiring harness, ecu and gas pedal are all out (didn't even need a engine hoist). Went through the wiring diagrams and made a pinout to follow for stripping the harness last night. Tomorrow I'll pull the intake flap, asv and all other deletes from the motor and get the garage cleaned up. Probably won't start swapping it into the taco for a month or 2 but I've been talking with Malone and will be getting a stage 2 tune fairly soon. While the motor is out it will be getting a good cleaning, new timing belt and balance shaft delete over the next few weeks. Don't anticipate running into any major issues. I got a new Chinese mig\tig and stick wilder from amazon for making new motor mounts. Excited to play with a 240v welder, hope it's not complete junk lol https://www.amazon.ca/HITBOX-Inverter-Gasless-Multifunction-Welding/dp/B07MLVDHGH/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=mig+tig&qid=1578718496&sr=8-3

I guess one has to consider a unit like that as possibly disposable. What the hey...?.if it works for you.

I don't have a Dynasty in my shop either...?. :(

Spokerider date=1578755965 said:
I guess one has to consider a unit like that as possibly disposable. What the hey...?.if it works for you.

I don't have a Dynasty in my shop either...?. :(

Wired up a 50amp outlet and played with the welder a little bit. Works surprisingly well. Seems a lot "smoother" then my friends Miller 140amp. There's no chart for what settings to use but my first guess was about perfect for the exhaust pipe I played with. Very happy with it so far. We will see how long it lasts. Wish amazon had an extended warranty you could buy for these things 
https://imgur.com/a/qyGLJDS

I think it's 160 amp max for tig and mig, and 200 amp for stick. Dunno what the duty cycles are for each tho.

That should allow for 3/16ths to 1/4" steel if the pieces aren't too large. Pre-heating the steel with a torch would still be a good idea on the thicker and larger heat-sucking stuff.

ive only played with some scrap 3/16" steel but its way hotter then my friends miller 140amp. should do me quite well, hopefully learn to make pretty welds with it eventually lol.

motor is fully out and I got the harness stripped. I got the car for $500 and $115 tow bill and ive managed to sell $520 in parts from it so far. still got the leather seats and plan to pull the winter tires from it after its loaded on the truck for scrap. not a bad start to this upgrade :)
E5vlYIil.jpg

Heres all the unnecessary crap I cut out of it 
j3AFgoxl.jpg

Theres a few wires i damaged when cutting off all the tape and everything from the harness ill have to fix but new split loom and some solder/ heat shrink should be here by wednesday to get it all cleaned up
doing the usual maf, egr, intake flap, asv and vnt smart actuator sensor deletes

Wires and electronics.  ::)
Sure glad they're going into your ride and not mine  [lol]

I guess if you want the newer vw, it's part of the package.

I was away for nearly a month ..  Playing catch up here , I just read you last few pages .. :) :)

So sorry to hear about the oil pressure lost  ? :\\\'(  

Spoke made some good points on the oil pressure lost ? [thumbsup] [thumbsup]  

Another common issue with the AAZ , is the vacuum pump bolt loosening off ...
If the bolt loosens off , this allows the vacuum pump to creep upward a little , eventually enough to skip off the oil pump drive .. 

The last one I seen this happen to , was about a year or so ago ..  After diagnoses , I worked the vacuum pump back down onto the oil pump , and tightened it all up well. Also added some Loctite to the bolt ..  The engine went from zero oil pressure , to 80 psi cold !!  

That engine lost the turbo as well , however other than a turbo replacement , it is still operating fine ?  [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Newfie-Zuk date=1579102253 said:
I was away for nearly a month ..  Playing catch up here , I just read you last few pages .. :) :)

So sorry to hear about the oil pressure lost  ? :\\\'( 

Spoke made some good points on the oil pressure lost ? [thumbsup] [thumbsup] 

Another common issue with the AAZ , is the vacuum pump bolt loosening off ...
If the bolt loosens off , this allows the vacuum pump to creep upward a little , eventually enough to skip off the oil pump drive ..

The last one I seen this happen to , was about a year or so ago ..  After diagnoses , I worked the vacuum pump back down onto the oil pump , and tightened it all up well. Also added some Loctite to the bolt ..  The engine went from zero oil pressure , to 80 psi cold !! 

That engine lost the turbo as well , however other than a turbo replacement , it is still operating fine ?  [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

P

I had that happen with the vacuum pump before I pulled the motor from the samurai. Not sure if I damaged the internals, or the last of sealant on the oil squirters is causing the issues. I'm gonna pull some main caps and inspect the motor when it's out of the truck. Hoping damage is minimal and I can get some of my money out of it 

Harness is basically done and ready for final wiring in vehicle. Engine and everything else is removed and the car was just sent for scrap. I've made $120 in profit off the part out and still have a set of winter tires/rims and the leather interior left to sell. I just ordered a new timing belt kit and a balance shaft delete kit which should be here In a week or so. At that point ill have a chance to get the motor on a stand, cleaned up and all the unneeded accessories removed. Next step after that is to pull the old motor and get to work!

Harness wasn't that bad spoke. basically made a pinout from the wiring diagrams then went through the ecu plug pin by pin and removed everything I didn't want. I then traced the removed wires and cut all the unneeded plugs and everything else out. was only a couple hours work.

Started working on the motor today. Got all the accessories stripped off as well as the timing belt. Managed to drop the oil pan and get the balance shaft assembly out. Valve cover had been leaking for a while and everything was really dirty but it's all clean now.
7fSieNz.jpg
 EGR had the intake and Intake valves extremely gunked up. Probably was down at least a few hp. The intake flap valve thingy was completely clogged with carbon and I doubt functioned.
Ewf7qvy.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be putting everything back together with the new timing belt and oil pump assembly and if I have enough time might try and get the aaz out of the taco.

Got the motor all back together today. Heres a shot of the balance shaft delete with the new alh oil pump/chain.
M61D0qml.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to torch the intake and burn out all the crap built up In it while at work. Havent had a chance to play with the truck yet but ill start that next weekend. Did a bit of measuring and ill definitely need to make new motor mounts but that's not a huge deal.

got the motor in the truck this weekend
qtubp3Pl.jpg

heres the motor mounts I made
GlpN6XNl.jpg

L1Pfc70l.jpg

I think the included fluxcore wire that came with the welder sucks. it splatters like crazy no matter how much you turn down the power. regardless was getting the hang of it by the end of the project.

Heres a couple main bearings from the aaz
5XJbYK1l.jpg

RbWREz1l.jpg

they definitely don't look like they have under 500km on them. Don't think they are worn bad enough to be the cause of the oil pressure issue but it is what it is. Looks like I put some rtv on the oil squirters as well so not sure if they are they cause of it either. oh well hopefully ill be able to sell it off and get some  money back.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom