New Taco Diesel Build

RunninWild

Hey guys. Havnt been around much lately since I sold the zuk but figured I would show you what ive been working on.
Got this truck in January without a motor, tranny, fuel tank or driveshafts. Its got 4 link rear suspension, sas and lockers front and rear. Its not a Suzuki so I'm not sure if posting it here is against the rules. Delete is  not allowed.
CwaOFkR.jpg

x7GXhrt.jpg

HLiSh20.jpg

The trail gear 4 link kit made it impossible to mount the stock fuel tank in the stock location. Played around on rock auto for about 30min and found the perfect tank. Its from a 1985 ford E150 van. Its 22 gallons and has a fuel sender without a electric pump. Got it mounted up behind the rear axle a few weeks ago
hqs1Psm.jpg

Got a black grill and swapped the 4" trail gear heavy duty leaf springs for their 3" springs with a leaf removed.
sDFw9yN.jpg

1c36uzx.jpg

Got started on my headlight retrofit. I just need to put them on the truck and jb weld everything once the alignment is perfect
V7P6BSP.jpg

I'm putting in the AAZ I rebuilt for my samurai. I'm using an acme kit for a r150f toyota transmission with a marlin crawler hd clutch. Here's the motor mounts I made
2uksrna.jpg

q25GySl.jpg

QpICqjC.jpg

QOuSNZF.jpg

I ended up having to modify the turbo side mount when installing it. With the way the motor is clocked I had to lift the bracket that bolts onto the mount about 2"

And here is where I got last night. Motor is sitting comfortably in its new home. I still have to do some finishing touches to the tranny cross member but the hard part is done
jvNOcpH.jpg

Also noticed this when installing the motor. Think my friends 3 year old was trying to "fix" it  with a screw driver or something. The motor had been sitting in his garage about 3 months and I really don't remember it being broken when I pulled the motor. Oh well new turbo time :(. Hopefully I get more then 50km out of the new one
mdo8tml.jpg

The rest of the build should be fairly easy. I just bought a boat and tickets to costa rica this weekend which is definitely going to delay the build, especially since I need a new turbo. Right now all that's left to order is the turbo, new gauges for a custom cluster, custom drive shafts and some stuff to put the cooling system together. Then eventually 35" mud terrains and 5.29 diff gears.

Glad to have you around!  Of course it's not against the rules!  I might migrate it to the Yota section.  ;)

I would rebuild the old turbo, about $30 for the bearing/ seal kit and $150- $200 for a new compressor or ? for a good used one.
Its an easy rebuild just take your time. LOTS of info on line and YTube

Thats not a bad idea actually. Just looked around and looks like i can get a new compressor wheel and bearing kit for around $100. Do i have to get it balanced after? I've never played with turbos before.

I don't think so but others may know more about this. I have replaced just the compressor wheel on a couple of turbos using the existing shaft and exhaust wheels with out any problems. I did check each assembly between centers using shop air and didn't notice any vibration. Ideally checking and or rebalancing on the proper equipment would be correct but that isn't an option where I live. 

Nice looking build , I will be following this .... [thumbsup] [thumbsup]  

Balancing a Turbo after a rebuild or adding replacement parts is always recommended , however I too have rebuild many and rebalanced none ... 
I never had any issues with the ones I rebuilt over the years .... :) :)

Its been raining like crazy every day I've had off lately so no updates really.

That place I found that sells the rebuild kits and compressor wheels has a minimum order of 10 units each so thats off the table. I've spent hours trying to find them online but I cant come up with anything. Its looking like I'm just going to order a new turbo. Probably going to get the he200wg this time, its basically the same as the he211w but its the updated design and flows a little better i believe. I just sold a old tacoma I had sitting at my buddys place, I Got less then I wanted for it but its enough to pay for the turbo and maybe a custom driveshaft or a diff gear or something along those lines. Hopefully I'll put in the order for that within the next few days.

Hopefully I'll get a break in the rain the next couple of days and I'll be able to get the hood support welded back on and get the rad mounted and coolant lines ran. I'm also planning on painting the fuel tank in that rubberized bedliner stuff to stop rust. Would be nice if I could get that done and the fuel lines ran. I'm not in the mood to play with witing just yet. I may hook up the fan controller but I'll save the majority of the wiring until the weather is better. I also ordered in some smoked out corner lights. The front end is going to look pretty good when its all back together. I think the black and silver theme is going to be very nice! I'll post pictures soon!

I'm thinking of installing an AWIC. They make those barrel type ones that would fit perfectly between the turbo and the intake. I'm playing with the idea of using the AC cooler as the "rad" for the intercooler. Anyone have any reason why that would be a bad idea? the thing has ton of surface area and I would think it would cool fairly well. I just dont know if the piping would choke flow too much on the system? I believe the awic uses 5/8" hose and the ac cooler looks like it might be 1/4" or 3/8". It would probably restrict flow quite a bit but if I put in a high pressure pump it would probably be ok?

Got the box bolted on and just asphalt coated the tank. Weather is "ok" today. Going to weld the hood latch back on, get the rad mounted and plumbed and get my belt for the power steering setup as well as throw on an oil cooler for the ps and get that plumbed. Ill see how im feeling at that point and if Its worth doing anything more.

Think ive decided to get the he221w turbo this time with a 5.5cm exhaust housing. Comes in 5cm, 5.5cm, 6cm and 7cm. Think the one i was using was 5cm with a slightly smaller compressor wheel. I dont think itll lag significantly more and should easily make 200hp if I get my pump retuned. Main reason behind the "upgrade" is because I can get rebuild parts for that model if anything happens in the future. Getting it for $550usd with a v band exhaust flange and a v band intake flange

Slowly been chipping away at it. Got the power steering belts sorted
wbb0SM7.jpg

got the rad, fan controller and the stainless rad hose put in
HghiNVp.jpg

I also ordered my new turbo. Went with a HE221W with a 5.5cm housing. Its slightly larger then the HE211W (5cm housing), main reason for the "upgrade" was there are parts available for this model if it ever needs a rebuild. It will also make more power then my block would ever be able to hold. If the bottom end doesn't hold together I'm going MTDI and will aim for 250hp. I'm hoping for 150-175hp around 27psi with this build. I'll probably have to send my pump to Giles for a retune at some point to supply enough fuel. The turbo and a few other goodies should arrive by next weekend. Not much left to do to get the engine ready to start!
U8xT5Ys.jpg

If anyone wants a he211w that's already been clocked for cheap let me know. Maybe you'll have better luck finding replacement parts for it then I did.

Looks good. 
You've got acres of space to work with in that engine bay!
 Never seen a SS rad hose before.....interesting. How does it connect at the ends? 

We're supposed to have decent weather this week, so I can get some stuff done on my build too. Been very chitty outside[ as you know ] to date. 

It connects with silicone couplers and hose clamps. I figured it would be a lot cleaner then hacking a bunch of hoses together. Its nice because its flexible and holds the shape you bend it to pretty good. It comes in a few colour options as well. The company i got it from listed it as 1.625" in diameter so i ordered 1.625" - 1.25" reducers but the couplers are super loose on the hose, they are sending me some 1.5"-1.25"which should hopefully fit better. Not sure if they sent me the next size up by mistake or if their specs are just completely wrong but hopefully the new ones fit better.

The weather has been slowly getting better. We're definitely getting into car repair season! Im hoping ill be able to get it finished within the next 2 weeks. I probably wont be able to afford a custom driveshaft so it might not be road ready for a while but should be able to get everything else ready to go!

Got a bit done yesterday. Mounted the fuel tank. Ran the feed line and the vent line and mounted my lift pump. The tank doesnt have a return line built into it so i made a fancy copper tee that adapted the 3 sizes i needed and tapped it into the vent line on the fill neck. The fuel lines are turning out to be super expensive lol. The tank has a 2" barb. I found a 2" 90 degree fuel line for like $40, then i need to drop the diameter down to 1-3/8 for the fill neck. I played around at canadian tire in the exhaust section and found 3 adapters that were probably $30, the copper tee i made was $20 and the 4 feet of 3/4" fuel hose was almost $50 locally! Found a store online that sells it for like a buck a foot. Wish i had of done that lol. Still need about 12' of 1/4" line for the fuel drain, as well as about 4 feet of clear line to and from the pump. I'll probably have $200 in the fuel lines when its all said and done. I went 1/4 rubber the whole way rather then hard lines, dont anticipate it being a problem.

I have lots of parts coming in by the end of the week which should let me finish most of the truck
Turbo, fuel lines, v band clamps, corner lights, coolant flanges, fuel filter, 12" switch for the lift pump. Once the fuel lines and coolant lines are sorted I get to start the fun part (wiring  :\\\'( )

Yes, the $$ just slips through the fingers, doesn't it??  ::)  I have spent a small fortune on wring stuff and shrink tubing ......seems I can't buy enough of it........ Coming to the end of the wiring tho. 

I'll be moving onto to the fuel system soon, like you're doing right now. Why the lift pump? Does the diesel injection not have enough suck? Or, Are you wanting it for bleeding the fuel system of air? I was thinking of installing an outboard fuel squeeze bulb, on the fuel "in" line. I recall others have done that on the vw diesel swap. Just to help bleed air from the system when doing pump work / re and re, and fuel filter changes. 

Yes money seems to disappear faster then you would expect, especially when you purchase in Canada. I try to buy from the states when possible. I have a US mailing address about 5minutes from the border now, saves a ton on shipping and duty costs!

I ordered a 25 ft roll of 1/4" rubber fuel line. I only need about 12 feet of it. let me know if you want what's left over. I'll probably have enough clear line left for your injector returns as well and maybe some for your feed if you want it.

Its just for bleeding the system. They only cost like $20 online and it makes the process so much easier. Even with a completely dry pump you just crack the injectors, turn it on wait 10 second then crank the engine until fuel spit out, Tighten them up, turn off the pump and it starts. Super easy, no playing with vacuum pumps or squeezing a fuel ball endlessly. Also makes priming the fuel filter a lot easier. Its not something you need very often but its handy when you do need it.
https://www.amazon.ca/SENHAI-Universal-Electric-Silver-HEP-02A/dp/B00YRD5E48/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524694753&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+fuel+pump

I also discovered this last night I'm going to use as a glow plug controller. Its a inexpensive waterproof relay timer. You can program it to do basically anything. Plan is to have it cycle the plugs for 30 seconds when the ignition turns on. I will have it wired to a tractor starter solenoid and have it light up this switch when the plugs are on. I will also have the switch wired to restart the counter without cycling the key
http://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-5V-20V-Time-Delay-Relay-Timer-5-amp_p_12.html
https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/products/19mm-glow-plugs-billet-push-button-switch

Just waiting on parts now and I should be able to cross a lot off the list. The weather has been amazing the past few days!

Its funny, after all this work I'm already contemplating selling the motor and going mtdi. Probably wont happen anytime soon but the idea of 250hp/350ft-lbs and a more efficient  motor sounds appealing. Those numbers would have been stupid in a samurai, but for a taco they would be perfect  ;D Wouldn't really be that much work either, selling my engine and injection pump should cover most of the cost and my new turbo should make that power fairly easily. I need to research into mtdi more. I know the rover 200/300tdi pumps are pretty much bolt on, I'm just not sure of their potential without a ton of modding.

Dude, me thinks you just like building stuff!  [lol]
 Me? I'm tired of building and just wanna get driving! 

Thanks for the offer for the hoses, but I'm sitting pretty good for what I need right now. 

The aaz's are getting harder to find now, which will eventually leave only the newer vw diesels.....and their electronics or one with the Rover pump. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom