Master Sgt. Art Lilley aka NC_Zuk killed in Afghanistan (official information)

I saw this on a Google Alert...thought you might want to see it...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,126541.shtml

State Flags in Fayette County and at Capitol to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Fallen Soldier

HARRISBURG, Pa., June 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Edward G. Rendell has ordered that all Pennsylvania flags at state facilities in Fayette County and in the Capitol Complex be flown at half-staff on Saturday, June 23, to honor the memory of U.S. Army Master Sergeant Arthur L. Lilley.

"We extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Master Sergeant Lilley, who valiantly fought to serve and protect our country," said Governor Rendell. "In his honor, I have directed that all state flags be lowered at all state facilities in both Fayette County and at the Capitol Complex."

Master Sgt. Arthur L. Lilley, 35, of Smithfield, died June 15, in Shkin, Afghanistan, from wounds suffered from enemy small arms fire. He was assigned to Company B, 2nd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Master Sgt. Lilley served in Operation Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and was on his second tour of duty with Operation Iraqi Freedom.

btrhlf_VA88ZUK said:
I saw this on a Google Alert...thought you might want to see it...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,126541.shtml

State Flags in Fayette County and at Capitol to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Fallen Soldier

HARRISBURG, Pa., June 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Edward G. Rendell has ordered that all Pennsylvania flags at state facilities in Fayette County and in the Capitol Complex be flown at half-staff on Saturday, June 23, to honor the memory of U.S. Army Master Sergeant Arthur L. Lilley.

"We extend our thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Master Sergeant Lilley, who valiantly fought to serve and protect our country," said Governor Rendell. "In his honor, I have directed that all state flags be lowered at all state facilities in both Fayette County and at the Capitol Complex."

Master Sgt. Arthur L. Lilley, 35, of Smithfield, died June 15, in Shkin, Afghanistan, from wounds suffered from enemy small arms fire. He was assigned to Company B, 2nd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.

Master Sgt. Lilley served in Operation Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and was on his second tour of duty with Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Very nice gesture! He deserved it.

muskrat said:
I was driving to the beach with my family on Friday when my sister called to give me the news that Mike had read on the board earlier that day. I never know what to say when people tell me about a death.

I was immediately at peace for Art because in the past we discussed Christian issues and I knew that he had secured his eterrnity in heaven through God's grace, but I was also immediately heartbroken for his family. When I think of the time I first met Art and I was shaking his hand and talking to him, I replay that memory in my mind and my focus turns from Art's face and settles on his 2 kids. Buckled into their army issue OD seats in the back of his Samurai. Their smiling faces, red hair, and sunburns. I hurt so bad for them, it's bad enough to lose a father, but a great father, so mush worse. They have so much life left in them, and still having a great father I can't imagine what the future holds for them.

As I continued toward the outer banks I had a lump in my throat as I shared the news with my wife. She remembered meeting him and his children and she hurt for the family as well. We kept riding in silence as my mind dreamed that maybe there had been a mistake, or some sick joke, kinda like in the movies. You know, everyone would be grieving and then Art would bust through the door and say "It was a mistake!" But life isn't a movie. People die... we all die, we have to be ready for, and Art was ready. He had his spiritual baggage packed.

We all have great memories of Art and are enjoying talking about him now and talking about how we are praying for him now, but our true devotion to Art will come if those memories of him change us. If we see how great he was and instead of saying "I wish I could be like him" we actually make changes to be better people. If instead of just saying a prayer to God for Art, we take up praying to God for everything, all the time, just like Art always has.

Art will be missed, but I'd rather he be honored by all of us. Let's be the people who Art would have proudly reminisced about had it been us.

Rest in Peace Art Lilley.

Reading and reflecting over the last week, has broadened my view of life.  I don't write or speak well about personal stuff.  Thanks,  Justin ~ Well said... 

Whitfield said:
Reading and reflecting over the last week, has broadened my view of life. I don't write or speak well about personal stuff. Thanks, Justin ~ Well said...

I think (knowing you personally) that you speak of things well, a lot of people have trouble writing it.

Perhaps for all of those us that can not attend Art's funeral we could all hold a minute of silence in honor of Art at 11.00 AM Pennsylvania Time which is the start of service ?

If you wish to join me in this and live outside the USA you can use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html to work out your time difference, mines 3.00am in the morning but I'll be setting the clock to make sure I'm up.

I am in shock as is my family.. I just want to say that Art was so nice to me while we were on a trip with you guys.. We came up with my husband's brother David.. and Art let myself and my daughter ride with him because his rig was safer than or new toy.. I had a blast and he is such a GREAT guy.
I remember that his son was still in the car seat.. My heart, love and prayers are with his family and all of you who were touched by Art as well.

Our hearts ache

Quadman (david) Bryan, and Rebecca 

Saturday morning while at Tellico we took the time for me to read the two poems that were written here by jersyzuks and rockrat. I probably did not do a very good job reading them while choking back the tears but it was done. We rode at Tellico on Saturday for Art Lilley. Thanks Art for all the great memories. We miss you. 

Blue Ridge Runner said:
Saturday morning while at Tellico we took the time for me to read the two poems that were written here by jersyzuks and rockrat. I probably did not do a very good job reading them while choking back the tears but it was done. We rode at Tellico on Saturday for Art Lilley. Thanks Art for all the great memories. We miss you. 

you did good jimmy; and we will miss him so very much.

We just got back from our 6 weeks out on the Northern Nevada desert so it is with shock and sadness that one of the first things I see that Art had been killed. My thoughts and prayers are for his families spiritual and emotional strength and well being.  Jerry

Blue Ridge Runner said:

Jimmy,

I didn't get the chance to thank you for doing the reading Saturday morning. I know it was hard for you.
I had some dust in my eyes too :\\\'(

Thanks!
Jay & Hunter

The news of Art's death was the first thing I saw when I got home this morning.
I cannot begin to imagine what his family must be going through. Never met Art in person but I know that he was an incredible person who was loved by everyone on this board. He will be missed terribly.
Our thoughts are with his family.

Godspeed Soldier.

Bill
Heather
Barry
Nash
The Parsons family

Today at work I saw an official announcment about Art on one of the bulliton boards. It was nice to see that the entire special operations community is honoring him, and everything that he has done.

http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Archive/2007/June/070616-05.html

tommorrow moring is the official military memorial service held at the Spec ial Warfare Chapel at 1000 hrs, i got the email this week with the info on it.

I know many of you have paid your respects to Art in person or here or on your own websites.  I haven't had a chance to express my feelings.  I added a memorial on our own family website www.badsams.com.  I only spoke to Art a few times but he definetly made an impact in my life.  I would hope you would stop by to see it if you stop no further than the front page.

I think we need more people in this world like Art, I think the world would be a better place.  I'm at a loss for words and this  is why it has taken me so long to post.  My heart is still heavy.  I looked  up to him.  When I first joined the forum I had a stock sammi and then I saw his... I couldn't believe how cool it was.  He was a lot of my inspiration.

I missed out on the chance to meet him when he was in Colorado something I will always be sorry about.

In short form: he was a badass... he had a sick suzuki... he was always kind and I will miss him.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom