How to pour a spool....

Zukidiot said:
If your really cheap (like me) and don't want to buy lead, go to a tire shop and ask for some old wheel weights. Usually their more than happy to give you as much as you want.

Wheel weight lead isn't pure lead (maybe a lead/tin mix?)  It doesn't pour as well.  I have tried it when I make sinkers.  I have found that if I use 50% pure lead, and 50% wheel weight lead it works OK

jerseyzuks said:
Wheel weight lead isn't pure lead (maybe a lead/tin mix?)? It doesn't pour as well.? I have tried it when I make sinkers.? I have found that if I use 50% pure lead, and 50% wheel weight lead it works OK

Wheel weights are an alloy of lead and antimony. About 10% antimony. It's used to harden the alloy.  Bullets have some, but usually a much smaller percentage. Old car batteries have some too. Not sure of the percentages there. I work with a guy who casts his own bullets. One word of advice from his experience, wear LEATHER shoes. He was casting one day and bumped the table where his FULL solder pot was sitting. He grabbed the table to stabilize it, but about 1/2 oz sloshed out and landed on top of his synthetic shoes. Picking the once-molten plastic out of his fresh wound was pretty painful, he said. You can imagine what the burn looked like. Tasty stuff.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Does anyone know if this could ever be done on a 2-pinion rear?  I have a 2-pinion '85 toy rear axle I want to pour.  I guess it would splooge out the sides of the carrier, but what if you welded some sheet metal over the sides to hold it in?  You could always cut the sheet metal off IF you ever needed to get in there, which I don't think you ever do unless you're replacing the carrier anyway.

OK, I finaly got the "Poured Spool" in and all I can say is................I love it! ;) 

The things that I have noticed about it are:

People will look at you like what the heck are you doing spinning tires everytime that you turn.
It makes it want to track straighter.
It makes it a little harder to turn.
It makes the Zuk do some wicked donuts. ;D
It will chew up your yard pretty badly if you try to make a tight turn. ::)

Overall, I can't really complain. I haven't really wheeled it hard yet, but what little that I have tried to do with it, I can clearly see the difference. It has been the best mod for the least amount of work and money that I have done yet. ;) We will see what the long term effects are come the Fall run. ;)

Bryan

ZUKIMON said:
OK, I finaly got the "Poured Spool" in and all I can say is................I love it! ;)?

The things that I have noticed about it are:

People will look at you like what the heck are you doing spinning tires everytime that you turn.
It makes it want to track straighter.
It makes it a little harder to turn.
It makes the Zuk do some wicked donuts. ;D
It will chew up your yard pretty badly if you try to make a tight turn. ::)

Overall, I can't really complain. I haven't really wheeled it hard yet, but what little that I have tried to do with it, I can clearly see the difference. It has been the best mod for the least amount of work and money that I have done yet. ;) We will see what the long term effects are come the Fall run. ;)

Bryan

I told ya...I love the looks I get pulling away from the gas pump barely above idle and spinning tires.People think you have lost your mind paying 2.50 a gallon and barking tires everywhere.

ronzukin said:
I told ya...I love the looks I get pulling away from the gas pump barely above idle and spinning tires.People think you have lost your mind paying 2.50 a gallon and barking tires everywhere.

;) ;D Yep, that's the general concensus.

ronzukin said:

Dang, is it that bad?

-I don't want a locker, I need the zuk for the snow (wife will be taking my 4x4 Dakota when it snows)

-I would love a selectable locker, like an ARB, but can't justify the $$$

-Open diffs aren't really working offroad.?

I have plenty of lead, and a device for heating and pouring lead.? Seems like the poured diff was the way to go, but I do drive my zuk on the road.?

I need to attract as little attention as possible,? ;) so it may not work if it sounds like I am always chirping the tires

Well, sounds like you have the same issues that I had. I had no choice as to put mine in, my rear third was shot and this was the only one that I had to go back with. It's not as bad as it would seem, but it will be a hoot in the ice and snow. I think that it wil be OK, time will tell and I will have to just get used to it when it gets here. I have always played rough in the snow and this should make it a little easier, and most likely a little more predictable. You seem to never know when or if the rear will come around with an open diff, but this way I will most likely come full circle anytime that I want. Do you see what I am talking about?? One thing that you have to look forward to is the fact that you can remove it anytime, and without a whole lot of work. As for not attracting attention to yourself, well.....it will happen but I don't think that it will that bad. ;)

ZUKIMON said:
As for not attracting attention to yourself, well.....it will happen but I don't think that it will that bad. ;)

Well, the local police are always looking at my zuk a little funny.  Everything is 100% legal, so I haven't had any real issues so far. 

I have the SJ410 backing plates, so it is really easy to swap a chunk.  I might just pour one and try it for a while.

jerseyzuks said:
Well, the local police are always looking at my zuk a little funny.? Everything is 100% legal, so I haven't had any real issues so far.?

I have the SJ410 backing plates, so it is really easy to swap a chunk.? I might just pour one and try it for a while.

I understand. ;)  That's not a stupid idea, that's a great idea and I'll support it!!  (I love the Ladies Man ;) )

I have nothing useful to add other than I have lead if someone needs it. Not sure how pure it is but it's extremely heavy for it's size. :)

filter said:
Umm 21lbs worth. ;D I'll take a pic of the "bar" tomorrow.

Cool!

My uncle had a decent amount that he tossed away.  It was a ballast weight that was installed in the boat to compensate for the single outboard motor.  From what my dad was describing, I think it was about 100 - 150 lbs worth.

That would have filled a lot of diffs! 

jerseyzuks said:
Cool!

My uncle had a decent amount that he tossed away.  It was a ballast weight that was installed in the boat to compensate for the single outboard motor.  From what my dad was describing, I think it was about 100 - 150 lbs worth.

That would have filled a lot of diffs! 
Ok so I forgot to take a pic. How much does it take to fill a diff? I'll do the pic right now before I forget. ;D

Here's the pic. That's a quarter on top of it. Anyone want some lead?

Attachments

• lead.webp
    lead.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 650
filter said:
Ok so I forgot to take a pic. How much does it take to fill a diff? I'll do the pic right now before I forget. ;D

I would guess about 3-4 lbs worth

I just noticed over a period of a couple days that it was not chirping tires as much. I got home the other day and jacked up one side and was able to turn the tire by hand. I had to melt the lead out by using a butane torch, it worked well but you gotta have some patience. There was alot of lead in the bottom of the axle but no damage to anything. It worked well for about 4 months, when I took it apart only one side gear was stripped. It was the gear that goes on the outside,(passenger side I believe). The other 3 gears were fully incased with lead.

filter said:

I would guess that much lead would fill about 5 diffs. ;) I didn't use a third of what I had, and I thought that I would use alot more. There's really not that much room in there when you really get to looking and thinking about it. ;)

Bryan

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom