How to pour a spool....

ZUKIMON

Things needed, a third member, lead, pan, and a way to melt the lead. An axle shaft would be helpful. ;)

First thing to do is to block the drive wheels, and disconnect the negative battery terminal. ;D Really though, isn't that how all directions go!?! ;) Seriously, you need to locate a third member that you can do this to, or use the one that you allready have. I opted for a '90 up third with four pin carrier.

First thing to do is to follow the FSM instructions on removal of the carrier. What I did was to mark the hole that the keeper flange was in, and then removed the flanges and counted the turns to remove the bearing preload cap. Do this for both sides, and then keep them seperate, and right down your findings.

Second is to take the bearing caps off so that you can remove the carrier.

Third is to remove the carrier, making sure that the bearing races, and bearings are kept seperate and on their respective sides.

Fourth is to clean the third completely of any and all oil that may still be on it.

Now, remove the side cover on the carrier.
1third.jpg

Now to the good part. You will need an amount of lead, somewhere around the size of a tuna can. You can use whatever you have to melt it with, I happened to have this Butane camping stove, and it worked great.
Place the lead in the pan, and start melting. ;)
2stove.jpg

3pan.jpg

You will need to fab up a way to keep the lead from pouring out of the two holes in the other side (opposite) the side that you removed the side cover from. I used some peices of license plate, that did the trick.

Now you will need to actually pour the carrier full of the melted lead that you should now have in the pan.

You should have something like this.
4poored.jpg

And if you have an extra rear axle, you can save yourself some cleanup time by not doing this.
5oops.jpg

Don't worry, if you get some lead where it doesn't belong, a propane torch will take the work out of the job for you. ;)
I hope that this is a good presentation of how to pour your carrier for better traction. Remember, anytime that you are melting a metal, always wear eye protection, and gloves. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Probablly a dumb newbie question but.......

Why pour a spool (or more of a backgound info on it) and what are the advantages to it?

thanks
Steve

Genchaos said:
Probablly a dumb newbie question but.......

Why pour a spool (or more of a backgound info on it) and what are the advantages to it?

thanks
Steve

Very good questions, just didn't really have the time tonight to post that. Basicaly the reason for pouring a spool is to "lock up" that particular axle assy. The spool is the same as welding the rear end, or buying a mini spool, just cheaper if you have the stuff, and the ability. I wanted to pour one, just to see what would happen, and I am happy with it allthough it is still sitting in the floor. ::) ?It is a wonderful way to gain traction, and the cheapest way of doing it short of buying the mini spool. ;)

POWERSTROKEN said:
? ?And NEVER use that pan again for human food preperation.l

speaking from experiance.........because that's usually the reason why things like that are posted ;D

[stickpoke]

Steve

Tell us if you find the lead to be a bit more forgiving being a soft metal and all. Very cool project.  8)

MrK said:
Tell us if you find the lead to be a bit more forgiving being a soft metal and all. Very cool project.? 8)

I sure will. ;) I know that alot of people have done this, and it seems to be a wonderful way to go. ;D

I was wandering, is it strong enough? I have lockright in the rear and I want to move it to the front. I was thinking about getting a spool for the rear than, But that seems like a good idea. so how do you find it so far?

After reading this, I went yesterday to the Ft Bliss Rod & Gun Club. I picked up 8lbs of all lead bullets, NO jacketing. I want to pour the spool THIS weekend and hopefully have enough time to remove the Targa, damn that looks sweet [whitesamside] 

Well, everything went well. I removed the Targa and i like it alot, "feels" more open. Finally, today i poured my spool and got it all put back together, TWICE!!!! what I did was I poured the lead in from the side with the two holes and it worked great, since I had alot left over I put some in the bottom where the splines go. BIG MISTAKE. I didnt put alot, just enough to cover the center pins. when I put the third member back in the axle, the shafts would not go in all the way >:( I had to remove the third member again and used a drill bit to shave out excess lead untill the center pins were showing again. I cant figure out how to add a pic to the post but they will be in my Gallery. Enjoy :D

Well, everything went well. I removed the Targa and i like it alot, "feels" more open. Finally, today i poured my spool and got it all put back together, TWICE!!!! what I did was I poured the lead in from the side with the two holes and it worked great, since I had alot left over I put some in the bottom where the splines go. BIG MISTAKE. I didnt put alot, just enough to cover the center pins. when I put the third member back in the axle, the shafts would not go in all the way >:( I had to remove the third member again and used a drill bit to shave out excess lead untill the center pins were showing again. I cant figure out how to add a pic to the post but they will be in my Gallery. Enjoy :D

Attachments

• dirty lead.webp
    dirty lead.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 722
  • clean lead.webp
    clean lead.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 782
  • poured this side.webp
    poured this side.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • almost full.webp
    almost full.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,400
So, now that a little time has gone by, how has this held up in the trails/ rocks/ mud?? I'm more than a little cheap myself, so if this works I think I'll give it a go. Plus being lead, it could always be melted back out to go back to an open diff. Why, i would want to I don't know, but I like the option over doing a Fozzy that can't be reversed.

Dave

Dave, I hate to say it........but I never installed the third in my diff. ::) I know, i'm lazy, but I am also very buisy with my children. ;)  I will get it installed some day, and I will wheel the heck out of it and post up exactly what it does. ;)

Bryan

Poured my "spool" out of lead 3 weeks ago and I love it. Since then I have wheeled harder than ever before without any problems.
I like it better on road then my old locker, no unpredictable opening and closing, no more ratcheting and no more clunks (although I do miss the looks I used to get on-road when people thought my axle was exploding).
When I poured it I just stuffed some aluminum foil in the other side to keep the lead out of where the axle goes in.
Easy, cheap and effective mod, well worth the time.

If your really cheap (like me) and don't want to buy lead, go to a tire shop and ask for some old wheel weights. Usually their more than happy to give you as much as you want.

Zukidiot said:
If your really cheap (like me) and don't want to buy lead, go to a tire shop and ask for some old wheel weights. Usually their more than happy to give you as much as you want.

Come on up......I have two 5 gallon buckets full that I will gladly give to whoever wants them. ;)

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom