Bolt On Subaru Master Cylinder Upgrade

ok it looks like its at 82mm. by the way this is going on a 88.5 sammy. but still feels tight on the pedal with it motor running. when i put it in low range the brakes don't want to hold. anyone have any ideas????????

Crow Horse said:
Remove original master cylinder. Save gasket if possible (use old gasket as a template for a new one).
Reach into booster and remove the booster push rod.
Remove the ?tip? of the pushrod.
Cut the head off the new 6mm bolt. Clean up threads by ?chasing? with a die.
Round off one end with a grinder to make the new booster push rod tip. As an option, you can use a 6mm acorn nut, grind off the corners of the hex, then loctite it on.
The original push rod length was too short, so the new push rod will have to adjusted to the proper length. There needs to be zero tolerance between the tip and it?s mating surface inside the master cylinder. This will take a couple of minutes to adjust properly.
If the Subaru master cylinder doesn?t have an ?O? ring on it, swap the Suzuki one onto it.
Once the pushrod is adjusted properly, Bolt up the master cylinder after you?ve bench bled it. Use the gasket you cut or RTV.

Did you follow these steps?

I fitted my subaru m/c up yesterday, it was from a 96 outback.
From What Ive seen it should work it is the 1 1/16 bore and has an outlet at the rear on the d/s and on the front at the top.
I bleed the brakes then tested it. The pedal is great but the rears lock up before the front.
Could I have the hardlines back to front. Standard suzuki the rear hardline went to the front hole on the m/c and the front went to the rear. Is that correct?
Im running toy diffs with the standard toy disc/drum set up.
Nik

Thanks  The subie did have rear disc but I just copied what was in the how to section and there wasnt a mention of using a prop valve so thought it may have been somthing else.
I,ll give that a go and see what happens.
Nik

Hi guys i just thought i would let you know that you can use a 90s ford explorer master on youur samurais.I put one on mine and it was pretty much the same process as the subaru master.The only difference is that i had to make a gaskit to go between the master and the booster because the explorer master dont have an o ring.Also you have to use a bubble flare on the lines.I got mine from the junkyard and the guy just cut the lines so i took the ends and used them on the existing lines and bubble flared them.my brakes work awesome now(4 wheel toyota 4 piston calipers).

bentparts said:
This is a great thread! I've already added the 4 door calipers to my 95 2 door Tracker a while ago. Like the better stronger braking, but pedal travel has always been too far for my tastes since the swap over. I also seem to go thru rear pads and wheel cylinders fairly regularly.

Could this be the result of too much pedal travel pushing the rear wheel cylinders too far, in relation to the bigger front calipers? Or just too much deep water and mud!

It's a wonder others haven't made the same observation. Vehicles with drum brakes maintain a small amount of hydraulic pressure in the lines, even with the pedal released. When you switch to disks, this same residual pressure prevents the calipers from releasing all of the way, causing excessive heat and wear.

Just did this swap, the extended push rod worked great, I even managed to get a subi mc that had the same fittings as my tracker. The subaru that it came off of had discs all the way around. I have no proportioning valve and am haveing no problem with my rear drums. The best ten dollar investment on my tracker hands down!

A lot of Nissans use the same pig-tail.  Quite a few longer push rods out there too.  I am hoping I can just switch the tip and be done with it.

So i did the mc swap few weeks ago and iv faced 1 prob that many ppl faced too

now i have the feeling like if there was a '' brick'' under the pedal

my wheel wont lock at all, not even on sand

could this be cuz i didnt use a prop valve ?

i have a 88.5 with zuk axle, any one have a idea cuz iv read all 8 pages and didnt find a awnser  ???

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom