Bolt On Subaru Master Cylinder Upgrade

ArtByScars said:
Looking into doing this- but no power brakes on the 410- just a MC mounted to the firewall.
I'm going to need to drill new holes to mount the booster, am I going to have to reinforce the firewall because of the added pressure from the booster + subie MC?

thanks
-Noah

anyone??

ArtByScars said:

ArtByScars said:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,96394.msg997035.html#msg997035
i think you well have to do all of it what you was ask about.
when i got mine the subie m/c the booster look to me being fater and taller.
i would try this one http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,96394.msg997035.html#msg997035

WoW!  Lots of great information. 

The one thing I see missing is Why? 

Basic Hydraulic System Theory:
Your pump (Master Cyl) to your cylinder (Caliper / Wheel cylinder) gives a mechanical advantage by volume / ratio. 

In order to understand this better.  Look at it like a Transmission or even simpler a 10 speed bike.  The small front sprocket makes it easy to pedal but turns the wheel slower.  Just like the smaller bore MC has a greater mechanical advantage over the brakes at the wheels. 

This mechanical advantage must be maintained when you swap parts.  If you install a large bore MC with small bore cylinders (Caliper / Wheel Cylinder) then you will loose some of your mechanical advantage and require more force to lock your wheels.  If you have already upgraded to larger Calipers / Wheel Cyls ~ then the larger bore Master cylinder is a great upgrade to keep everything proportional.       

Likewise on the other end if you install a Small bore MC and large bore cylinders (Caliper / Wheel cyl) then you may run out of piston travel / fluid displacement before you lock the wheels.  OR you may lock the wheels too easily.

While Brake system power is a scientific calculation, using similar size pieces (Subaru) can get the results you seek. 

Also remember that calipers generally require more fluid then wheel cyls, and Disk Disk MC's should be kept with Disk Disk applications.   

Whitfield said:
This mechanical advantage must be maintained when you swap parts.  If you install a large bore MC with small bore cylinders (Caliper / Wheel Cylinder) then you will loose some of your mechanical advantage and require more force to lock your wheels.  If you have already upgraded to larger Calipers / Wheel Cyls ~ then the larger bore Master cylinder is a great upgrade to keep everything proportional.       

I think you got this backwards. A Larger MC will product more volume and thus more pressure with less pedal movement. And since we are talking 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch. The results are better pedal pressure and better braking.

The reason most folks run larger calipers is so they can also run larger pads and reduce fade in their brakes giving them better brakes.

A larger mc bore will produce more volume, but not more pressure.

dac said:
I think you got this backwards. A Larger MC will product more volume and thus more pressure with less pedal movement. And since we are talking 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch. The results are better pedal pressure and better braking.

The reason most folks run larger calipers is so they can also run larger pads and reduce fade in their brakes giving them better brakes.

I used black RVT, it took me two times to get it right though.  Also use a hose that is not prone to collapse on it's self, under vacuum to connect the brake booster.  Also if you have drum rear like I do, I adjusted the pads out a little to get the booster in the "sweet spot" as far a travel goes. good luck

This is a great thread! I've already added the 4 door calipers to my 95 2 door Tracker a while ago. Like the better stronger braking, but pedal travel has always been too far for my tastes since the swap over. I also seem to go thru rear pads and wheel cylinders fairly regularly.

Could this be the result of too much pedal travel pushing the rear wheel cylinders too far, in relation to the bigger front calipers? Or just too much deep water and mud!

I would like to do this upgrade, but after looking at my master cylinder, I've got questions about the ABS set up on mine. I no longer have the tone ring in the rear diff due to ARB install, so I don't even think the ABS works. The plumbing is all there still though, at the stock master cylinder. A brass looking splitter of some kind, with the brake lines attached to that, then from there to the MC.

How would I go about swapping in the SUB MC, with all this additional ABS plumbing? I want to make this as simple as possible without having to make all kinds of new lines. Sorry for the long post, Thanks Mike.

ok my question is were is everyone getting there subaru master cylinder at? i've tried every junk yard and parts store. the parts store can get them but with out the resivor. anyone have a extra they want to sell? thanks

I cheated.  I got my few, brand new, from a friend when Subaru did a recall.  Only a few were bad, but they were supposed to replace all of them.  The mechanics figured out how to determine the bad ones, and then cleaned the ones that were still good so they looked new, claimed they replaced them, and pocketed the actual new one in the box, usually selling them on ebay.  I know, disturbing, but if you had any idea exactly how bad dealer service can be, you'd never buy a new auto again.

Oh well, I've got new M/Cs and no Subie, so I'm not too concerned.  :P

Those new onse have the res on them.  The dealer price is fairly cheap for new, as Subaru dropped the price when the recall started so they wouldn't have to reimburse the dealers as much money.  I'd buy new.

You'll still need a pig tail off a donor auto to make the brake fluid light work.

wolverine said:
bad thing is there is no subie dealer ships around here. closet one is about 100 mile away. thanks for the info

There is a Subie dealer in Rockwood, TN. I happen to run past it from time to time... :P

ok got my subaru master cylinder. (sorry kirk was gonna call ya let you know just got it in) ok got it all hooked up the but my pedal after the sammy is running is tight like there is no power behind it. you push the pedal and it don't hardly move any. can it be the bolt is to long. need help quick have a ride tommorrow.

yea it say's 82mm. which is 3.22834 on the conversion chart but when you don't have anything to figure what the is on a tape measure it sucks. lol well have a ruler as well. lol

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom