Bolt On Subaru Master Cylinder Upgrade

foxtrot152 said:
I dont think you have the right Master if you have a fitting on the top of the Master. Mine were both on the side of the Master did you get a non abs by chance?

Fox

Nope, the one that was used for the original Subie swap had one fitting on top.  They match up the same way as the stocker does though.  just requires a littling rebending of one line.

hope this is the right one could pass it up for the price ;D

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A NEW NEVER INSTALLED SUBARU BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, THIS IS AN OEM PART NOT A CHEAP AFTERMARKET WITH P/N 26401AC220S1, THIS UNIT COST OVER $130 . WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS;

SUBARU LEGACY 98-03

SUBARU FORESTER 98-01

SUBARU BAJA 03-06

Winning bid: US $9.99 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: Feb-18-08 17:59:49 PST
Shipping costs: US $12.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
Ships to: United States, Canada
Item location: MOCA, PR, United States
History: 1 bid

nwodedispu said:
hope this is the right one could pass it up for the price ;D

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A NEW NEVER INSTALLED SUBARU BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER, THIS IS AN OEM PART NOT A CHEAP AFTERMARKET WITH P/N 26401AC220S1, THIS UNIT COST OVER $130 . WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING APPLICATIONS;

SUBARU LEGACY 98-03

SUBARU FORESTER 98-01

SUBARU BAJA 03-06

Winning bid: US $9.99 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: Feb-18-08 17:59:49 PST
Shipping costs: US $12.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States
Ships to: United States, Canada
Item location: MOCA, PR, United States
History: 1 bid

that's they one we used.  Brand new we did.

mine is a ABS model. off of a 2002 WRX. I got the M/C and the booster together.

the problem for me is that the 90 Tracker has two front lines entering the m/c. the rear has one. i found a t-fitting... a distribution block off of an early Toyota 4runner. I'll post some pics of the install when I manage to get it done.

I'm just installing a Subaru master cylinder and running all new brake lines.
What master cylinder outlet is for the front brakes?
Thanks

Yankee Tim said:
UPDATE:

Late model '94 and '95 Sammy's have a different booster and M/C, and this is not a near-direct fit like on earlier years. :(

I'm looking into ways to make this work, otherwise a brand new OEM M/C, painted in hi-strength 2-part epoxy brake paint will be up for sale of Egay.

just finished this up on mine,my sammy is a 92 and had a different booster and m/c then the one i used from an 88 sammy i also installed the 88 booster with the subie m/c this was a very easy swap and works great, so you say 94 and 95 were different,FYI so was my 92'

nwodedispu said:
just finished this up on mine,my sammy is a 92 and had a different booster and m/c then the one i used from an 88 sammy i also installed the 88 booster with the subie m/c this was a very easy swap and works great, so you say 94 and 95 were different,FYI so was my 92'

CRAP!  I was going to do this on my '92.  Looks like I'll need to find an earlier booster to make it work.  I wonder if the setup changed when the Samurai went to FI???

just as an FYI....

I installed the subi MC on my Tracker. I had to use a t- fitting that I cannibalized off of an early Toyota 4runner. had to use the 90* elbow... off the same 4runner for the rear brake line. mine wasnt long enough.

better brake feel in the initial pedal travel... but apparently, I have an issue with my booster. still feels like theres a brick under the pedal when i need to stop quickly....

anyway.
no leaks. :D

edit:
I got the MC and booster together off of the WRX. bad news is that it is WAY too large to fit in the tiny engine bay of the tracker. sooo... i removed the push rod from the subie booster. unfortunately, that required a complete and catastrophic detruction (read: disassembly) of the booster. with that done, it fit perfectly inside the Zuk booster as described.

;)

I am doing the swap as I type this, I got the M/C with the round resevior at the local yard for $6, and $1.80 for thr bolt and acorn nut. Cant wait.

Thanks for the info

I found a 1 and 1/16  master on a 1990 Subaru Legacy.  I also found two other 1990 Legacys with a 1 inch bore master cylinder.  Guess I got lucky.  It was only $19.50 too.

All the legacys I found all had 4 wheel disk brakes.

Found a good deal on a Subaru master cylinder.  JC Whitney part #ZX345285.  Can't tell if it's for ABS or what size bore, but it looks like the right one.  Even fits all the right Subaru models and years.

$52.99 with reservoir and cap. 
New, not remanufactured and no core charge.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DORMAN-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDERS/GP_2016947_N_+200729870+2002_10101.jcw?showCustom=0&makeName=Subaru&makeId=83&modelName=Outback&modelId=13233&year=2002&showAll=1&refId=20004539&mediaCode=ZX

MuddyBuddy said:
Found a good deal on a Subaru master cylinder.  JC Whitney part #ZX345285.  Can't tell if it's for ABS or what size bore, but it looks like the right one.  Even fits all the right Subaru models and years.

$52.99 with reservoir and cap. 
New, not remanufactured and no core charge.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DORMAN-BRAKE-MASTER-CYLINDERS/GP_2016947_N_+200729870+2002_10101.jcw?showCustom=0&makeName=Subaru&makeId=83&modelName=Outback&modelId=13233&year=2002&showAll=1&refId=20004539&mediaCode=ZX

Spoke to the tech guys at JC Whitney, and it is for ABS, but they need to call the manufacturer to find out the bore size.

Hey guys Great Upgrade.

I decided to do this to my 90 sidekick. Well not only for the reason of bigger is better, but I wanted to add a line lock, and the stock sidekick has 3 outlets on the master cylinder. 2 feeding the front brakes. So swapping to the Subaru MC worked perfect. I tried to grab a few pictures along the way.

For the record my 90 sidekick (JX model 4x4 conv) had a 13/16" MC (It says that right on the side of it).

IMG_0426.JPG

I grabbed a Metric Brake Tee off a Nissan Truck while I was passing through the wrecking yard. Which worked perfect to put those front brake lines to.

IMG_0427.JPG

I did some measuring and this is what I came up with. A needed a 27mm longer bolt. So I just ground the end off. Just a trick here... Chalk the bolt in your cordless drill, then grind away with the drill rotating it. You'll end up with a nice finish on it.

IMG_0428.JPG

This is what $9.00 got me at the local wrecking year. It clearly says 1-1/6" on it.

IMG_0429.JPG

This is the old Sidekick MC. You can barely see the 13/16th marking on it.

IMG_0430.JPG

The MC with the pedal pushed to the floor. And the new rod put in.

IMG_0431.JPG

Installed with the line lock installed as well. Everything is bled and pedal pressure is GREAT.

IMG_0433.JPG

Here is a further back shot. I had grabbed a black cap also... and think it looks better so I used it. Also I haven't put my coolant containter back into place. So it's sitting there on the right.

Now you can see why I wanted the line lock... And the better breaking power. That's a Mazda Rotary Turbo with Nitrous under the hood. I've also got a mini spool on the rear end.  ;D

SO this does work in Trackers?  I just lost all of my brake fluid after 24hrs of sitting in the front yard (wasn't started, wasn't driven) so I am thinking my MC is bad and Auto Bone wants like a $150 for a Tracker MC.  Should I have any problems with using all stock brakes (front 2dr convertible discs, rear are stock drums)?

nobearsyet said:
SO this does work in Trackers?  I just lost all of my brake fluid after 24hrs of sitting in the front yard (wasn't started, wasn't driven) so I am thinking my MC is bad and Auto Bone wants like a $150 for a Tracker MC.  Should I have any problems with using all stock brakes (front 2dr convertible discs, rear are stock drums)?

Yes, Should be the same as my Sidekick. Front Disc and Rear Drums. It was pretty straight forward. I tried to take some good pictures of my swap. 

Looking into doing this- but no power brakes on the 410- just a MC mounted to the firewall.
I'm going to need to drill new holes to mount the booster, am I going to have to reinforce the firewall because of the added pressure from the booster + subie MC?

thanks
-Noah

Yankee Tim said:
UPDATE:

Late model '94 and '95 Sammy's have a different booster and M/C, and this is not a near-direct fit like on earlier years. :(

I'm looking into ways to make this work, otherwise a brand new OEM M/C, painted in hi-strength 2-part epoxy brake paint will be up for sale of Egay.
so that is what I ran into when i did my Firebird swap on my 94... I assumed it was from the 88.5 split

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom