Uwharrie National Forest and Art Lilley's Legacy. (campground in his name)

Blue Ridge Runner

I just spoke to Deborah Walker at Uwharrie National Forest and she has agreed to name the new campground that will be located trailside at the top of Falls Dam in honor of Art. I made the suggestion to her that it be called "The Art Lilley Memorial Campground." Construction will begin in August of 2007 and be finished by January of 2008. They are currently in the bidding phase for a contractor to do the work. State and federal funds have already been approved. Dedication could be at the spring Zuwharrie event if we want it that way. The NFS may ask for our help on the sign possibly. I think we could do something nice in that area.This campground will have direct access to the trails also.

Keep in mind that we are in the early stages of this project. I am sure that as any other project there will be bumps in the trail.

I will be in contact with the NFS in order to find out what we can do to assist in this project.

I truly believe that God has blessed us with this. This is happening way too easy. I look forward to bring updates and possibly pictures of this as it happens.

We did not get a trail. But we did get a campground that is on the trail. 20 years from now when you take you kids to camp at this campground you can tell your kids the story of MSGT. Art Lilley and his love for God, his family, our country, and his Zuwharrie Family.

My hat is off to the Janet Becker, Deborah Walker, and The NFS. The off-road community appreciates you. God bless you.

I am so excited!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Here is a map of the possible location (lower left corner):

uwharrie.gif

Absolutely awesome!
Great work Jimmy, and thanks to everyone who were trying to find a way to keep the memory alive! You know the Zu is in for any way we can help!

AWESOME WORK JIMMY!!! i THANK YOU for spearheading this!! you really got it done! ;D
Blue Ridge Runner said:
I am sure that as any other project there will be bumps in the trail.
it wouldnt be off road if there werent! ;)

man this is GREAT news!!! so will it be large enough to hold zuwharrie there?

Your welcome. I had help. Someone was praying for this. It came way too easy. The good Lord must have liked the idea too. Its not done yet but I believe the whole thing should go smooth. I will talk to Deborah more once the project gets moving about the sign. I would like to see a sign with a plaque below it telling the world who Art was and why the campground was named for him. I am sure the NFS has regulations on this so we will do whatever they ask in that respect.

I don't know how many sites there will be there. Zuwharrie is a large event. There may not be enough room there for it. Group Camp is nearly too small for us now. I will post more when I know more. Deborah did tell me that the gates on 516 will be opened permanently for traffic once the campground opens. The OHV traffic may have to share 516 for a while until other arrangements can be made. That could also lead to a new trail opening for OHVs possibly.

I am stoked! ;D

muskrat said:
This is awesome, great work! So, who's gonna carve the sign?

I gotta find out what they want. I am sure there are sign regulations. I am sure we have someone here that can do it or has a connection to someone that can. Thanks.

Blue Ridge Runner said:
I gotta find out what they want. I am sure there are sign regulations. I am sure we have someone here that can do it or has a connection to someone that can. Thanks.

Something like this maybe?

Uwharrie030.jpg

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom