Supergrunt! - Turbo Diesel Build.

Indeed an LED bar.

Went to test drive it today.. depressed the clutch and heard grinding.

if you look closely you can see where the flywheel bolts were being rubbed by the clutch disk springs.  What i have for now is the stock clutch disk and pressure plate.. is there modification necessary or something? I though i might of installed the disk backward. I had the longer spline section facing the transmission so i flipped it around and now have the short side facing the transmission. i tried it this way and the clutch wont disengage at all and actually broke my clutch cable... so i think it had it right to begin with, but that doesn't explain the contact issues with the flywheel bolts... Has anyone experienced this?

diabolical1 date=1431914550 said:
Went to test drive it today.. depressed the clutch and heard grinding.

If you look closely you can see where the flywheel bolts were being rubbed by the clutch disk springs.  What i have for now is the stock clutch disk and pressure plate.. is there modification necessary or something? I though i might of installed the disk backward. I had the longer spline section facing the transmission so i flipped it around and now have the short side facing the transmission. i tried it this way and the clutch wont disengage at all and actually broke my clutch cable... so i think it had it right to begin with, but that doesn't explain the contact issues with the flywheel bolts... Has anyone experienced this?
The raised portion of the Clutch disc ( containing springs ) faces towards the  transmission ... ;)

If it was installed the other way , it will bind against the flywheel bolts  ...  Reverse installed the disc is forced into the fly-wheel bolts , and  since the disc is splined to the transmission ,  both are locked together ...  Thus it will not allow disengagement ..    More than likely this is why your bolts are rubbed , because it was installed backwards  ...

Also if you installed it in reverse and pushed the cable , there is no movement allowed , since the disc is already into the flywheel bolts ...  Pushing it to hard installed in reverse will also snap the cable ...

Hope this helps ..........

looks like I had it right to begin with, so I don't understand why it rubbed on the bolts. Flipping it around afterward is when it wouldn't disengage and broke my cable, so I know that's not right. I thought for a moment last night that maybe i accidentally put the vw disc in, so after digging it out of a pile of used parts i determined the diameter and the spline count is incompatible. Well either way neither direction worked and i'm starting to think this disc is some weird aftermarket part. Currently looking for an alternative to the pertoworks as theyre out of stock according to their website..

I decided to try out the stage 2 clutch from low rage. I got in contact with a guy who said it's the same as the petroworks clutch. They should know seeing as how they sell both.  The price difference is stunning though so it has me wondering what the catch is.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki/samurai/clutch-tranny/suzuki-samurai-stage-2-dual-surface-replacement-complete-clutch-kit-stm-hc-2.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki/samurai/clutch-tranny/petroworks-heavy-duty-clutch-1912.html

diabolical1 date=1431954361 said:
looks like I had it right to begin with, so I don't understand why it rubbed on the bolts. Flipping it around afterward is when it wouldn't disengage and broke my cable, so I know that's not right.
Here's another thought  :

If the damper springs were worn to the point that they were rattling around in their retainer plates   ...  The damper springs may have been exposed enough to touch the flywheel bolts ,  under the torque of the diesel engine ... [approve]  

How loose are the damper springs when you shake the used disc ?

Ill take the clutch back out before the new one arrives and inspect it further.. meanwhile I'm not at all impressed with paying 30 dollars to ship something ups ground that weighs 13 pounds and can fit in a priority mail flat rate box..  I worked for USPS and low range definitely hoses you on shipping.. Its not like I live in a different country damn.. and i would expect to get this clutch within a week if im paying that much to ship it... we'll see.

I know what you mean ... let me tell you a story of my Injector pump , which is still clearing Customs , called them and they flat out told me" WE dont have to worry about anything unless its here for more the 17 days:" ::) ::)

Ordered the clutch on Monday before noon.. took Low Range 4 days to ship it out despite having 8 in stock. It won't be here until 7 days from now on May 28th. That's 11 days from time of purchase till it's on my doorstep... and I paid 32 dollars for that. Needless to say ill be doing as much business as possible with other companies from here on out. Whats funny is when I bought my gallon of Opti-lube diesel lubricant a company that I found out shares the same building as Low Range.. my package arrived in 3 business days.  I hope Low Range reads this build thread someday and realizes the hundreds if not thousands of my dollars that are going elsewhere. rant over.

I got the chance to pull the transmission again and inspect things further. I first looked at the clearance between the bolts and flywheel surface. 

its hard to tell eyeballing it as I didn't have my callipers on hand, but it's roughly an 1/8 inch maybe slightly more.

Looking at the side view of the clutch that was on the 1.3 sami engine, you can see there is definite protrusion on both sides of the disc. even the side with the least protrusion was causing significant interference. Not sure how I did not detect this to begin with..

Looking online i have not found any clutch discs that didnt have exposed springs. this obviously has some sort of cover over them. 

The last picture is the vw diesel disc with the incompatible spline.

As you can see there is zero spring protrusion. on the flywheel side.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to get my UPS package from lowrange.. hopefully it is shaped like the diesel disc.  I have a feeling the previous owner of the samurai had put a random clutch disc he has laying around in.. but im not sure of what the odds of that would be.

Back in business. I got the dual friction clutch in and it works fine.  It did not have the clearance issues the other disc had. I backed it out of the garage last night so I can button the engine bay up a little before my test drive today after work in the sun. This clutch is extremely nice, for some reason I was expecting something shotty and made in china, but was pleasantly surprised to see "MADE IN JAPAN" etched into it. Explains why it exceeded my expectations.

I've been taking it kind of slow lately and just been working on tweaking little things like installing door locks and door limiting straps, new brakes, modifying my light bar so it doesn't have a deathly whistle above 40mph.. Minor things until I get balls deep into it again. Temp shoots up to around 210 on the highway if I'm on it more then a couple minutes around 50 mph... before I chicken out to see where it stops..  with a 27 inch vw rad I was expecting it to keep cool.. Maybe I have a air bubble somewhere? Think I might try one of my dual pass RX-7 oil coolers in addition to the water cooler.. but then I may have to notch the frame rail for the filter to clear or get a relocation kit.

Other than that I have a long list of things do to.

Custom dash and all the gauge wiring that goes with that.
Winch bumper & rear hitch bumper.
larger fuel tank.
Finish side exit exhaust & wrap it
fabricate a snorkel and filter
make brackets for smaller led spot lights
Get heater core plumbed in and controls working

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom