Re:cheap rear disc brakes.....

supazuk said:
wroking on the mod stby for pics .... I'm using 91 nissan stanza calipers( almost the same .. they come with a axle mount bracket) only thing I see so far that may get in the way is the caliper is quite wide. I paid $15 a piece and got the caliper hoses I got my axle adapters for $50, a ajustable summit propotional valve from a project that never got started (about $30), and had a set of used rotors so this should be cool. I'll let ya know
Any updates?

had to do the  shopping house cleaning and dinner w/ the fiancee monday
tues day drove up to parents put new tires on moms heep (yep mom has a trail side too) was gonna set up the disks but friends called  went wheeling ( priority) broke a shock
wednessday been working on it all day!!!!
have the disk on and mocked up the caliper? wow even the E-brake mount lines up to the zuk cable i did sawp the calipers side to side to get them behind the axle .. ( the bleeders on the stanza are on the top.. the axle mout from the stanza (plates calipers w/ new pads and hoses $30 )? when cut to fit around the zuk only alowed two bolts so i bought 3' x 1'  3/8 steel plate ($20 have other projects so call it $5 for the brakes) and desided to make new mounts ... I also had an early zuk (87-88) power booster ( thanks crow) so I bought a 80 fire bird w/ 4 wheel disks, brake master cyl ($17 AutoZone? w/ $9 core) just sloted the holes in the m/c's ears and the bore fit the zuk perfet and the push rod fits great, I had a ajustable propotional valve .. (don't remeber) and some steel lines and fittings ( $25 local shop)
just stay tuned .. just a few cuts and some new bolts away from .. stopping short! pics by monday! ( hey have cam didn't say digi!

ok I made the the brackets and mocked it all up on passenger side great fit!!!!!
I'm kinda into good details so I didn't get the drivers caliper bracket through the grinder and file
  I made my brackets with 3/8's plate, as i said, but I cut a 6"x8" peice for each.  Then with a drill press and hole saw cut a 3" (width at the the axle flange) hole with a smaller slot that I could slip over the axle tube this way it wraps around the flage and cant be pulled off.  It made it so i could have 3 holes instead of 2.
  I tapped the three holes and bought hex head socket bolts that I can bolt the retainer too using lock nuts after the tapped bracket,
on the caliper I had to rotate the brake line and that was about it I will have pics soon and made a diagram of the bracket. was kinda thinking of selling copysof the diagram for the bracket for like $10 (not in it for really money but i did do a lot of reseach and I'm giving any one that wants to put the time in all the info here to do it with out the diagram.  but not about to start making and selling the bracket.
I have yet to mount the new master cyl, propotional valve, or plum the brake lines but it would work on a sami master.
I just want really good brakes/ e- brake ( had a good scare last wheeling trip)
As I said you could just cut and weld the bracket off the stanza to the sami tube to be on the cheep but I was to be able to disasemble it and I like detail

pics coming soon I actully finshed the brakes with the stock master..worked great... but since i had the firebird one .. i had to go on!
so while i was there i guted the whole zuk set up lines back.. no more stock porpotional valve no funky junctions
just a mast an ajustable porp and lines  with 2 tee's 
only other thing is i have to lengthen the ebrake cable tomorrow
I think i can now double flare in my sleep !

supazuk said:
pics coming soon I actully finshed the brakes with the stock master..worked great... but since i had the firebird one .. i had to go on!
so while i was there i guted the whole zuk set up lines back.. no more stock porpotional valve no funky junctions
just a mast an ajustable porp and lines? with 2 tee's? ?
only other thing is i have to lengthen the ebrake cable tomorrow
I think i can now double flare in my sleep !
The suspense is killin me ;D

if you are concerned about the prop valve. Don't be, just swap in a m/c from a 4 wheel disk brake firebird. works unbelievably well. i use this set up on my samy, but i have the all  suzuki set up with my 413 t case ebrake.

Sean,EH

longzuk said:
if you are concerned about the prop valve. Don't be, just swap in a m/c from a 4 wheel disk brake firebird. works unbelievably well. i use this set up on my samy, but i have the all? suzuki set up with my 413 t case ebrake.

Sean,EH
if you read the thread thats what i did .. i said i put in a fire bird m/c and got rid of the stock porp valve. i added an ajustable one because i had it just sitting there any way. so added it as an option when it was done (BTW yes it was needed, the back locked before the front with out it  truly the rear always needs less bias )

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

If I am looking at this correctly you made copies of the stock Nissan brackets so you could do a bolt on correct?

Nice work by the way !

Kevin

yes i also set up the nissan mounts (90 maxima and 90-91 stanza) for a weld on for the ultimite cheep brakes (if you can weld?) also if you weld on there is no room for mistake on the calipers  i wanted bolt on so i can be able to take them off all so have you elded to zuk akles not sure i trust that metal thats why i made the /4 curcle that uses 3 bolt holes  it was slow with a drill press and a 3 1/4 bi metal hole saw blade but came good.
the stop power is much better my next endever will be to upgrade the front to 4 door kick vented rotors and calipers

Here's some other rear disc writeups I found for cheaper applications.  I really cant afford the SpiderTrax kit so I'll be doing something similar in the future for a rear disc upgrade. 

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/zukdiscs/zukdiscs.cfm
http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/welddiscs.htm

yes but none of those have e-brakes mine was cheaper then those since samurai caliper (cost more then Nissan at auto zone) and axle brakets are hard to find in yards  unless you have a set...
the Nissan set up could be setup similar to the weld on one in off-road ( i referanced this when i made mine)
I would have used the same turned down drum adapter except that it cost more to have the drums turned down then it did to buy the axle adapter from trailtough.
The spider trax set up is quite pricey and you don't get e-brakes ( like the others you mentioned)..
in most states / Provence's no ebrakes would make you vehicle not inspectable unless you got the transfer case e brake  that would be BIG $$$$$

total for what you need to just put the disks in the rear
axle adapter:? ? ? ? ? ?$50? ?( with longer studs)
2 calipers:? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? $30? (includes both brackets, brake lines, and like new pads from salvage yard )
bearing retainers:? ? $20? ?( however you could just cut the ones out of your baking plates free)
piece of 3/8" steel? ? $20? ?( however I got a big piece, or just weld the Nissan ones on the axle)
e-brake repair kit? ? ? $ 9? ?
rotors? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?free? ?( used my used front ones when i did the brakes )
a brake line tee is only needed for 88.5 up and the proportional valve I had but you really don't need it

thats $119? its cheaper then one new sami caliper

I should have been more clear on what I meant by 'cheaper'.  Not cheaper than your setup; cheaper than SpiderTrax's 'kit'.  :) 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom