BY: ?usmcdoc14 ?On the Pirate Board....

"The training to save lives also makes me more efficient at ending it...."

? Tahts a Scarry tag line.... ?

? ? ? ?:o:o:o ?SAMMY REAR DISCO'S ?:o:o:o

zuki rotor/nissan caliper/easy rear disk setup

reardisk1.jpg

Parts list:

2 suzuki samurai front rotors in good shape

2 rear calipers and caliper brackes off an 89 (other years may work) Nissan 300z. they match the rotor thickness for the zuki rotors and have a BUILT IN parking brake ?they are easy to find/cheap/easy to rebuild.

some 3/8 steel plate

a little time ?

the calipers will look like this(minus the salt spray) make sure you pull the bracket the calipers are bolted to as it will make life easier.same with the rubber brake hose

reardisk7.jpg

next you will need to cut off all your extra drum brake crap as it will be in the way and you dont need it. notice how i left enuf to still work as the bearing retainer

reardisk6.jpg

clean all mounting surfaces of rust (turn the rotors also) and side the rotor on the axle. make sure you have long enuf studs. this is on a Heep with a Dana Spicer Model 20 rear axle with superior 1 piece shafts.

reardisk5.jpg

next with NEW pads on the caliper mock it up where you want it in relation to the rotor and bearing retainer bolts on the axle. make sure it all aligned corectly on the rotor where it is supposed to be. turn and lock the E-brake tingie to hold it in place. and make a cardboard template in the exact shape you want the mounting plate. after that you will need to make spacers so that the caliper is set correct(left/right) so that it has enuf trave to use all the pads. i had nifty solid ones i made but they were lost and replaced with the nice washers you see here.

reardisk3.jpg

Thanks Mike,

I am kinda glad I ran across it. This will be a good mod for some of us. Like I stated earlier.............I might get to do this b-4 it gets to cold. Heck I done a search on car-parts.com and found the '89 300z calipers for around $30-$45 dollars..........not bad. Thanks again bud.

David

Hmmmm. . . I bet I could that on the Scout D44 in my Heep. Does anyone know if those rotors will fit on a Dana 44?

dschwab9 said:
Hmmmm. . . I bet I could that on the Scout D44 in my Heep. Does anyone know if those rotors will fit on a Dana 44?

Not for sure, But I'd but $$$ that they would... The center hole on a D-44 axle would not be any bigger... Most of those 5-on-5.5 axles have a = size boss in the casting to support and align the wheel center.

Pictures are saved in my Zuwharrie Gallery.  I believe their were issues in the Gallery at the time you were viewing.

I must be missing something here.  I thought the lugs were attached to the drum, which in turn is bolted to the axle flange.  Hence, if you discard the hubs there are no lugs there upon which to mount the rotor.  Am I wrong here? 

I saw where he said to cut the backing plate back to where you just had enough left to act as a bearing retainer, but I didn't see anything about the drum.  I guess if you do cut the drum down and just slide the rotor over the lugs you'll need to make sure your lugs are still long enough. 

Yep,  Like you said, Cut down the drums.

This can be done quick and easy on a brake lathe,  just cut out the center. 

Sammy rotors at the hub are super thin.

Depending on you vehilce yours may be like the tacomas which the bearing cup is pressed into the backing plate.Knock out the 4 studs that bold the axle assembly to the housing and remove the spring setup and tension in the drum housing and you can knock it all out as one unit and not have to cut anything.

Whitfield said:
Not for sure, But I'd but $$$ that they would... ?The center hole on a D-44 axle would not be any bigger... ?Most of those 5-on-5.5 axles have a = size boss in the casting to support and align the wheel center. ?
this is true, Suzuki, Jeep, and Ford 5/5.5 are the same. Dodge 5/5.5 wheels have a small center hole. I was wanting to use Dodge factory alloys on my Zuk but they wouldnt fit over the hub.

i used all sammy parts and installed the SJ410  t/case brake

here is some mock up stuff i was doing

Attachments

• cailper3.webp
    cailper3.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,064
  • CALIPER HANGER.webp
    CALIPER HANGER.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 926
williamhall said:
if the wheel studs are too short you can use studs for the front axle. they are longer [black_s]

they were 1/4" too short for me

i went to autozone and got some longer studs

the worked great

wroking on the mod stby for pics .... I'm using 91 nissan stanza calipers( almost the same .. they come with a axle mount bracket) only thing I see so far that may get in the way is the caliper is quite wide. I paid $15 a piece and got the caliper hoses I got my axle adapters for $50, a ajustable summit propotional valve from a project that never got started (about $30), and had a set of used rotors so this should be cool. I'll let ya know

Only thing that I can add to this is that when I did this mod on my last Sammy, I used all Zuk stuff, and did not run a proportional valve other than the one that came factory on the truck. I had no ill effects, and I even drove it alot in the winter ice/snow. ;)  If you have an extra stock front Zuk axle, then you have everything that you need to do this swap. Just look at the front axle and you can see what you would need to remove, and we all know that front axles are around $50 sometimes complete. ;D

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom