Paint your rig with a roller for $50.00

That you so much for posting those pics!!  I am going to paint my zuk and prolly my Yota with a roller!

I"m under no delusions though, it will be a LOT of work.

That is a lot of work!! 

I think for any vehicle that i am willing to try that on (meaning not a super nice one) i would rather just hit up Earl Schieb and pay $99 for them to do it!!

I once herd of an old black man in Cincinnati Oh. who would paint cars for $50. He used paint brushes he would brush one coat entirely with horizontal strokes let it dry then brush entire car with vertical strokes I'm not sure how many coats. Then wet sand and buff. Henry Ford painted Model A's This way.

Painted the tank on my street fighter I built with duplicolor spray paint from checker. Primed then painted and polished/ waxed it to a shine. Took a lot of work and I only did the tank. Painting an entire sami would take a lot of cans of spray paint and some serious polishing hours to get it to look good.
ProjectStreetFighter003.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

From experience you can prime and paint 2 coats on a sammi in roughly 3 hours of actual work time, not including dry time between coats and using a <$20 gun and a quart of rustoleum.  And you get a pretty good paint job without doing any wet sanding.  Hell buy a gallon of paint for 25 and you'll have plenty to do the next rig.  You'll spend less than 50 total and you'll have the gun next time for an even cheaper paint job.

or

You can spend 3 weeks of several hours each day and get a decent paint job.

I don't understand the 2nd option.

My understanding of paint guns is that the cheapo gravity feed ones don't need a very big compressor to run.  Pretty limited understanding, but that's what I've heard.

Are gravity feeds and HVLP different? If there's a way to paint my rig with a cheaper compressor, I'm all for it. I just don't have a few hundred $$$ laying around for something that can keep up with HVLP.

I've done a few using nothing but my 110v 20g I bought at walmart for $80 coupled with the cheap paint gun. Cheapy guns aren't HVLP and don't take much air since they use higher pressure to get the job done.  But you can find HVLP's that only need 5-7cfm to work right.  But you'll be spending more than $20 for them.  For the most part you can shoot for quite a while before the tank drops below 50 psi, then take a 2 minute break and start up again.

I've never used a gravity feed, been using the same style since I redid my first car back in highschool
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43760  Like this, pulls 1.5 to 6 cfm.  Pretty much any compressor can keep up with them.

We painted my dads airplane with a HVLP gun, with a 20 gal standard air compressor. The gravity feed gun did not lay down as nice of a coat but still worked. But still painting is an art, prep work is key. And even with some orange peel and it looking crappy generally you can spend some time and buff it out pretty good.

Pacifier said:
I just started painting mine with a rattle can, pictures will follow.

That's the kind of "I don't have the right equipment so let's see what else I can do" attitude I need to see the results of  [lol]

I actually have a shop in Chantilly, but why pay lots on money on paint for a trail rig :)

Here is what it looks like ater 3 cans of paint....

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

How strange. There was a painting thread a year or two back where most people claimed to have poor or no luck at all with cheaper compressors. The consensus then was a good 220V compressor was needed to keep up with the paint guns.

Anyone else want to link up the guns they were using? What paint did you use with it? What brands of rattle cans have been used? How many cans did it take? Are you satisfied with the outcome?

OK.... I'm using Rust-oleum paint for my project.  So far I have used 4.5 cans of red paint and .5 of black paint at $4.99 a can.  It looks like I'll be using about 10 cans of red and 3 black to complete my project, total cost (including tax) $70.00 Est

This is what I accomplished today.

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg

Change of plans.... I decided to use bedliner instead of red paint.  The hood and doors will remain red while the interior and the rest of the exterior will be bedlined completely.  Here is what it looks like as of today, by next weekend it should be finished.

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom