If you had to take just one knife... what type would it be?

jerseyzuks

Not talking about specific brands, but more "type"

I prefer a single locking 4-5" blade that is durable enough to chop small saplings

I have a survival type knife
It has a compass and will hold fishing line, hooks , matches and a cable style saw.

A Leatherman or if just a knife it would be a Columbia River M-16Z, 5 inch liner lock, teflon coated and extremely strong and durable made with high carbon steel.  Holds an edge a long time and is easy to sharpen.

I have 2 of them and they are the best folders I've owned and I have a ton of them.  Been using them on the job for years.

In the woods a fixed blade military survival knife.

Everyday leatherman.

Fishing spring assisted folding knife.

I do carry a leatherman squirt and a s&w m&p spring assist knife everyday with me.

both my regular knives are Gerbers, the multitook stays nearby and I carry this around daily

Gerber%20Knife.jpg

For everyday use my handy dandy swiss army knife always fits the bill. If I need somthing for more heavy duty task I prefer a fixed blade full shank knife made of surgical grade steel.

1 A multii tool
2 A lockback spring assist with a part serrated blade 4.4 inches
3 A dive knife with serrated on one side and smooth on  the other with a wire cutter notch hard kydex  sheath no leather

On my belt every day is a Leathermen 18 function multitool with a driver bit pack and a Benchmade combat assault assisted open knife. The Benchmde is usually with me at home too.

If you had to take just one knife... what type would it be?

For ordinary camping, I'd recommend a 4-5" fixed blade, drop point, stainless steel knife. Folders just don't "cut it" for me in the woods (no pun intended).  ;D  I want something I can put leverage on, dig with, pound on, and chop with. Folders have a way of coming apart when I abuse them this way. A good camping knife doesn't have to be expensive either... I've had very good service out of my Colemans, and I think they cost about $20 new.

I can't find a pic of my Coleman online, but it looks like this Buck:

bu479bk.jpg

For survival and tactical situations, you'd want a better knife of course.

either a multi tool...

or i like my gold old fashioned buck knife...

http://www.wise4living.com/olknives/images/buck-knife.jpg

served me well for many years on the farm...and its heavy enough to put a hurtin on someone with just the handle...

Gerber Freeman exchange a blade knife,  great high quality knife that comes with a saw, gut hook and of course a regular blade.  all fits nicely into its nylon sheath.

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=646

this one has a fillet knife but mine came with a gut hook instead.

VA88ZUK said:
A Leatherman or if just a knife it would be a Columbia River M-16Z, 5 inch liner lock, teflon coated and extremely strong and durable made with high carbon steel.  Holds an edge a long time and is easy to sharpen.

I have 2 of them and they are the best folders I've owned and I have a ton of them.  Been using them on the job for years.

This!! I have 2 of them, not as large but still the same thing.  They are awesome knives!

s7_517064_renderset_tst

Fixed blade........ Gerber LMF II

A little info from the Cabela site on this knife:

Gerber collaborated with the military for two years developing this knife as the ultimate survival tool. The rugged, partially serrated 420 High Carbon steel blade could be used to construct a shelter, cut wood for a fire, or slice through thin metal and Plexiglas. The over-molded handle is made for long-use comfort without blistering. Butt cap and tang are separated by the handle's substrate to absorb shock when used as a hammer and provide electrical insulation from the blade. The ergonomic design also has lashing holes to use the knife as a spear head. The versatile sheath can be worn on the calf, belt or a Molle vest, and it has an integrated sharpener.
Blade length: 4-7/8''.
Overall length: 10-1/2".
Weight: 11.4 oz.
Colors: Coyote, Black.

Cameron said:
This!! I have 2 of them, not as large but still the same thing.  They are awesome knives!

I have 3 of the smaller 3.5 in models also. Coloumbias are my personal favorite when cost is factored at all. Not that they're terribly cheap. Benchmade, if I could afford them, would be a first pick  otherwise. ;)

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom