how I remove bad screws easy

HUMZUKI said:
Yea there cheap and thats really the "correct" way to do it without damaging anything, not like I reuse the philips heads

The problem with using an impact driver is that it will usually dent the area around the screw, since you have to hit it fairly hard to get it to turn/break loose the screw.  I have dented the area around the door mirrors by using an impact driver.

FGZ said:
I've heard this one before but never heard it explained - can someone elaborate?

A left handed drill bit has the flutes cut the opposite way of a "regular" (right handed) drill bit.  Therefore, a left handed drill bit cuts when it is turned counter clockwise, and will sometimes "grab" the screw/bolt and turn it out while drilling.

skyhiranger said:
The problem with using an impact driver is that it will usually dent the area around the screw, since you have to hit it fairly hard to get it to turn/break loose the screw.  I have dented the area around the door mirrors by using an impact driver.
Heat + Impact Driver =  ;D

skyhiranger said:
Enough heat to do any good + nice paint =  :(

Maybe you have had different results. :-\\\\

You read my mind twice... Impacts dent the area around it and heat F's up the paint. I like the soldering iron, and or a Number 3 Phillips bit in a 1/2"drill.

i prefer left handed bits.. :D  I managed to get a snapped off bolt out of the head of my ford BB by using one. :D  just start slow and once its starts building up heat it will eventually break free and turn out with the drill :D

isbb said:
i prefer left handed bits.. :D  I managed to get a snapped off bolt out of the head of my ford BB by using one. :D  just start slow and once its starts building up heat it will eventually break free and turn out with the drill :D

I picked up a set of 4 left handed drill bits awhile back.  Got a chance to use them over the weekend, on the tiny screws that keep the trackick axle nut from turning.  I stripped out 2 of the 4 with an impact driver. ::)  Got the drill bit chucked in the drill....started slowly drilling.....in less than one turn of the drill bit the bit caught and turned the screw right out.....second one took a couple turns, but it still backed the screw right out.
I have yet to try them on larger screws/bolts....hopefully they work just as good on them. ;D

I have always used a hammer blow impact, it will not tear the phillips head up like an air impact. Main thing is get you some extra phillips drivers( like for your drill etc) as they will twist up over use.
Here is a link to a pic I found off the net

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/images/impact.jpg

Where's a good place to buy left handed drill bits? I've never seen them before in home depot or lowes...  ???

Bingo Jed said:
Where's a good place to buy left handed drill bits? I've never seen them before in home depot or lowes...  ???

I bought mine at Harbor Freight.......just has 4 bits in it, but it appears there is enough variations in size that they will work for most any job.

Just used them again this last week on the ground screw by the battery on a samurai (the PO had stripped the head out).  Once again, worked awesome......bit started to "dig" into the head, then the whole screw turned right out. [approve]

Blue Ridge Runner said:
If they are in a place that I can weld on I will weld a nut to the top of the screw and they usually come out easily with a wrench.

I am in the process of removing my door hinges by welding on a nut, but im having a hard time getting a good ground on the bottom hinges.

I have cleaned some metal, clamped a needle nose vice grip on, then attached my ground to that, and it worked for one of the nuts on my bottom hinge, but for some reason it didn't work for the remaining nut.

I think that i will try to put a magnet on the bare metal and try to attach my ground to that....Anyone try that and have it work for them? ???

I cut a slit with a cut off tool. then i use an air chissel while my buddy grips the chissel with a pair visescrips or cresesnt wrench and turns the chissel   

"Poor mans impact driver"

It takes door hinges and tailgates off with no effort

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom