how I remove bad screws easy

slowmotion4x4

I know I am not the only one to have those stupid Phillips screws strip out when trying to remove them. What I do is use a 1/2" drill bit for all bolt removals.
For door bolts
Take a half inch drill bit and drill the heads of them almost off. Then you can take a chisel and remove the head on the mounting bolts. Then when you remove the hinge. You can just un screw the bolt. No having to drill or tap the hole since it is un touched.
for small screws.
I drill the heads all most off like above. Then take a chisel and tap the edge of the screw. Normally a few hits and the bolt breaks free and you can just un screw it. If you can get a bite on it with vise grips. They work too. I have never had a screw that I could not remove easy this way
Here is a picture of what a screw looks like after it is drilled and removed.
I hope this helps some one else

I have done that allot but I figured not every one has a welder. As for the air chisel, that is another of my friends. Mine wouldtear up most of my body around the screws. both great ideas too though  ;D

I took a thin cut off wheel and cut a straight slot in them then removed them with a bid screw driver / impact driver! I replaced them with stainless steel allens.

yea i did the cut a giant slit and use imapact gun as huge flat head worked great....and then it slipped off and riddles the side of my car  :-X haha its ok tho i just used some rubbing compund and you cant tell it happned, the compund is farly common its called trees and boulders haha

slowmotion4x4 said:
I know I am not the only one to have those stupid Phillips screws strip out when trying to remove them. What I do is use a 1/2" drill bit for all bolt removals.
For door bolts
Take a half inch drill bit and drill the heads of them almost off. Then you can take a chisel and remove the head on the mounting bolts. Then when you remove the hinge. You can just un screw the bolt. No having to drill or tap the hole since it is un touched.
for small screws.
I drill the heads all most off like above. Then take a chisel and tap the edge of the screw. Normally a few hits and the bolt breaks free and you can just un screw it. If you can get a bite on it with vise grips. They work too. I have never had a screw that I could not remove easy this way
Here is a picture of what a screw looks like after it is drilled and removed.
I hope this helps some one else

A left handed drill bit will get them out without the chiseling...

It works that is exactly how I got the bolts of the Targa bar on my zuk, I fingered it out for myself though.  Great write up!!!

Caleb

I trick I learned many years ago on ORC, is the sodering gun trick. Touck the sodering gun tip to the screw you plan on turning. It's seems that the heat from the gun melts the suzuki super glue and turns it to butter. Works very well.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom