FJ 60 Power Steering Install

Isuzu Steering column input shaft coupler will fit the Toyota IFS box.

I snagged mine from a late 80's 2wd PuP truck

Anyone have a good line on a set of Power steering hoses with good legnth and the proper Toyota metric fittings...

I might shop the U-wrench it for some hoses, just to get the correct stock aplication.

When you did the FJ PS box install what kind of drag link did you use?  I am attempting to install an IFS and would llike to get an idea of what to look out for.  Thanks

Barlytreat said:
When you did the FJ PS box install what kind of drag link did you use?  I am attempting to install an IFS and would llike to get an idea of what to look out for.  Thanks
I used the Marlin hi-steer kit.  Any of the available kits will work, as long as you use an IFS pitman arm with a female taper.  Marlin, Sky, and a bunch of others sell the pitman arms.

If you wanted to use the stock IFS pitman arm (and it works with your steering geometry), Sky sells a female end for their drag link as well.  HTH.

hot tip the ifs rag joint bolts up to the sami steering shaft so with a little tweeking you can have a steering set up with out welds inthe steering column

Tusker said:
UPDATE: There is one piece of important info I apparently forgot, and that is the plumbing of the box. In case you are wondering, the hp line coming from the pump goes to the hole that is slightly forward and to the drivers side of the two holes that take the hydraulic fittings. BTW, those directions are for the box mounted on the frame as shown. The hole that is slightly behind and towards the passenger side is the low-pressure line that runs to your cooler or reservior. HTH.

do you know what size the fittings it takes to plumb up the FJ-60 box? thanks.

SoonerZuk said:
do you know what size the fittings it takes to plumb up the FJ-60 box? thanks.

You can get both of the fittings you need to plumb the FJ box from Spidertrax, thats where i got mine.

supazuk said:
hot tip the ifs rag joint bolts up to the sami steering shaft so with a little tweeking you can have a steering set up with out welds inthe steering column

I have a complete IFS set up minus box, and a FJ60 box. The rag joint is close but not perfect but you still have to cut the steering shaft down because it is WAY too long unless you do a frame extension. I moved my axle forward something like 6 inches or so and where i mounted it i still require a good 8 inches chopped off the stock suzuki shaft.

I didn't  have to cut the shaft .. just heated it up like you would in a body lift to melt the plastic pins and hammer the shaft up, just did it with no cutting no frame extention I'll take pics next time I work on my rig but i used the ifs box so i do see where you would have to do some cutting

Hi,
I need some help with identifying; relocating / replacing my IFS ps box with the FJ-60. I found a FJ 60 from a 1985 land cruiser for $130 delivered on car parts.com.
When I started to install the ?FJ60???? Box I observed that the dimensions were not the same as description in this post. The pitman arm from my IFS did not fit my newly acquired gear box.

I have listed the dimension of the ?FJ60???? and the IFS as flows.
FJ 60 weighs~30lb; sector diameter 1.25? or 31.5mm; this is a reverse rotation box with a forward-facing pitman; the sector thread is 22mm X 1.5; the nut is a 32mm the input shaft is same as the IFS. The pitman arm is 6 3 /4 in. center to center.

IFS weighs ~ 20lb; sector diameter 1.005? or 22.5mm; sector thread is 21mmX 1.25, the pitman arm is 5 1/2 in. center to center.

The  pitman arm that came with the ?fj-60??? has a taper (not the sector) of 18mm tapering to 16.5mm; is this for a FJ-80 or FJ 60

My question is.
1)Is the box a FJ-60, if not what Toyota PS gear box do I have?

2)Where can I find a shorter pitman arm that will fit the sector on this box and fit my current sit up, the taper on my pitman arm is 14mm tapering to ~12.3mm?

Reason for changing to the FJ-60 is that the IFS box prevented the installation of my new 27 inch radiator for my VW diesel conversion.

I would like to thank every one that has contributed to this post.

Thanks
boB

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom