FJ 60 Power Steering Install

Just for info....ALL i mean ALL late model mitzu's have a remote PS resv. with 3/8's fitting on the bottom (return) and 1/2's on the side (supply)
they are easy to find and mount reall really easily to the stock jack mount...

pics of mitzu res.

Attachments

• mitzures2.webp
    mitzures2.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 367
  • mitzures1.webp
    mitzures1.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 346
Tusker, It's JC again to bother you with questions. Since Spidertrax sent me to PCS to buy my pump, I ordered two adapters from your link to Orme. They came in today and do not fit. I just asked for 16mm x1.5 to 6an adapters. I have attached some pics to show the differances. Also I put in a pic of the 4 spline? steering shaft.? JC

Attachments

• Jul22183.webp
    Jul22183.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Jul22186.webp
    Jul22186.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Jul22182.webp
    Jul22182.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 315
Toyota used almost the same res in every car in the 80's. They are quite easy to find. Honestly, I would look for a larger res as the toy ones are pretty small. You don't have to use a Toy res, just about any one will do ;)

JC, It looks like you got the right size, but didn't get the right style.  From the picture, it looks like they sent you the o-ring style.  You need the flared-compression style.  I don't know the part number, but I just told them the application and that it had to seat against the brass tapered/flare thingy. 

This is such a great thread..thought I'd bring it back to the top.  I'll be looking at it probably 20 times in the next few days because I'll be using a lot of the tips in here.  I'm going to be building a coil front suspension, but axle moved 4" forward, which may give a little more space for the coil springs...we shall see.  This is such a nice writeup.

UPDATE:  There is one piece of important info I apparently forgot, and that is the plumbing of the box.  In case you are wondering, the hp line coming from the pump goes to the hole that is slightly forward and to the drivers side of the two holes that take the hydraulic fittings.  BTW, those directions are for the box mounted on the frame as shown.  The hole that is slightly behind and towards the passenger side is the low-pressure line that runs to your cooler or reservior.  HTH. 

Also, if you want to use Hydro assist with a FJ60 box, you drill and tap just like an IFS box.  The only difference is which port is left, and which is right - they are opposite of the IFS box.

NC Zuk said:
Toyota used almost the same res in every car in the 80's. They are quite easy to find. Honestly, I would look for a larger res as the toy ones are pretty small. You don't have to use a Toy res, just about any one will do ;)

I know I am bringing this one back from the dead, but it has the info in it I need so....

From the quote above, what would you use then, any model numbers or places to get what you are describing would be great.
Thanks,
F_T

FullTilt,  I just went to the wreckers and pulled one.  Any Toyota, or other car with a stand alone reservoir will work.  Heck, my BMW has a pretty large and sexy looking reservoir on it, but I am afraid my wife would miss it ;D

You can order them from Summit, PSC, etc if you just want to order one.  They tend to run $75 to $150 though, so pick and pull will save you some serious dough.  HTH.

Tusker said:
FullTilt,  I just went to the wreckers and pulled one.  Any Toyota, or other car with a stand alone reservoir will work.  Heck, my BMW has a pretty large and sexy looking reservoir on it, but I am afraid my wife would miss it ;D

You can order them from Summit, PSC, etc if you just want to order one.  They tend to run $75 to $150 though, so pick and pull will save you some serious dough.  HTH.

So now I know that, late model mitzu's and pretty much all toyotas have them detached.  Anything else?  I am WAY too cheap to spend 75 - 150 on this.  So I guess it is pick and pull for me. 

Hey Tucker,

Is that a Zuk axle or Toyota axle?  Will that box work with a Zuk axle and not have the left front tire rub on the steering box?  I have a TT YJ w/ ML, 32" tires.

Thank you
;)

GOTROCKS said:
Hey Tucker,

Is that a Zuk axle or Toyota axle?  Will that box work with a Zuk axle and not have the left front tire rub on the steering box?  I have a TT YJ w/ ML, 32" tires.

Thank you
;)
You casn get an idea by looking at the pictures carefully.  The rig I mounted this unit on had a stock Zuk steering box on it and you can see it in the backgrond of the pics.

I think it would work fine.  The drag link will be about 4 inches or so forward of the stock location.  I am not sure how far the TT YJ kit moves the axle forward, but I bet it is 4 inches or so.  It is not absolutely necessary to have the the drag link be perfectly perpendicular to the frame.  A few inches of slant forward or back should be fine.  To get an idea of clearance at the tire, I would turn it to the lock and see how much room you would have (knowing where the box will mount).  You will want an inch or so of spare to allow for lateral axle movement at extreme flex.  If you have it enough, then you are good to go.  I'll bet you will, byut it depends on axle, wheel backspacing, tire width, ect.

I could see that there used to be a zuk steering box on it but what kind of AXLE ;D is that.  I can't tell.  According to Brent at TT the axle doesn't move more than about an inch set in the middle position on the spring pad.

Thanks

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom