FJ 60 Power Steering Install

Tusker

I just finished this install for a buddy and thought I would post some pics.? In my opinion, the FJ60 power steering box is the best option for the Sami.? The pro's of the FJ are:

1.? Reverse Rotation Box:? With its forward-facing pitman arm, the FJ box fits comfortably under the zuk and gets the drag link way out in front where it belongs.
2.? Pitman Arm:? The stock FJ pitman arm is a joke, but the box has the same sector shaft as the IFS boxes so any of the pitman arms from OTT, Sky, or Marlin will fit and allow FJ-80 tre's or heims.
3.? Strength/Power:? The FJ-60 box is beefy.? It has a pitman arm which is longer than the IFS arms.? That means when you put the shorter IFS-type arm on the box, you automatically get an increase of about 20% in power ;)
4.? Loaction:? The box fits in a place that requires no cutting of any of the stock zuk parts (unlike the IFS that can in many instances require the removal of the front clip support).

The cons's of the FJ are availability/price.? They can be hard to come by.? I have bought two.? I paid $150 for one box (a good price) and stole the other for $75.? If you look around, you can find them for under $200.

For the install, we used the power steering pump and bracket from Spidertrax http://www.spidertrax.com/steering.htm? ?We used the Sky flat arm, but next time I might use their slightly dropped arm.? For the power steering box, you need to get a 16mm x 1.5 to 6AN high pressure adapter.? I got mine from ORME Brothers for $12 http://www.ormebrothers.com/ .? I also talked to Tom at Spidertrax and he said they had a source for these as well, and since they have all the hp and low pressure fittings you will need, they might be the best source for everything.? ?Spidertrax will also have the hp hose you need to use with the fittings to make your own hp hose for cheap.? For the crank pulley, you can get these off of the Suzuki Sprint, a Sidekick or Tracker with ps.? Brent at Trail Tough has them as well.

So let's get to the install.? The first thing is drilling and sleeving the frame.? If you have ever drilled a frame, you know it is TOUGH to get the holes drilled perfectly straight.? For my install, I used a Jethro-jig made out of some seriously hard wood.? Since the wood was 2" thick, it was a big help in guiding the drill bit and not letting me get it tweaked.
content

This picture with the bolt installed better illustrates the point:
content

Here is a shot after all three holes were drilled out.? I used 1/2" bolts, and drilled the frame all the way through with 1/2" holes.? I also had to drill the box out to 1/2" as the stock holes were 12mm.
content

The next step was drilling out the holes in the face of the frame enough to fit the sleeves in.? My sleeves were 7/8" od and 1/2" id.? I used a step drill to enlarge the holes as a step drill does a pretty good job of keeping your holes cenetered and doesn't "wander" like a regular drill bit.
content

Here is a picture of the first hole reemed out to 7/8":
content

I then made a plate for the front face of the frame.? I used a piece of 4" wide 3/16" plate.? I used the steering box as a template and drilled the holes to 1/2", and then used the step drill in the drill press to enlarge the holes in the plate to 7/8".
content

Here is a shot of the face plate with the shims ready for install:
content

The next pic shows the sleeves welded in.? To get this right, I used a piece of 1/2" rod through the holes to keep the sleeves perfectly centered while welding:
content

After that, I ground the welds flat:
content

Then it was time to cut the wheel well out to fit the box.? The rear of this cut needed to eventually be opened up a bit, especially at the bottom to make room for the steering input shaft and u-joint:
content

Finally, it was time to mount the box.? I should note that the placement of the box, especially the front holes is critical.? ?What you can't see from this picture, is that the two front holes were placed perfectly between the sides of the radiator support.? DO NOT FORGET to get these holes aligned to miss the radiator support before you start drilling.? This picture also shows the additional opening of the fender well.
content

The steering input shaft had to be shortened a LOT.? Here is a picture from the top:
content

Here are a couple of pics of the plumbing. I didn't show the ps cooler, but you can see the line running to the front of the radiator where it is located.? For the pump fittings, I used a 90 degree out of the pump and a 45 degree on the box.?
content

content

That is about it.? I forgot to take pics of the drag link and pitman arm.? I will do that the next time Matt brings his rig over and update this.? You will see from those pics why I said that I would try the (slightly) dropped OTT or Sky arm next time.? You couldn't slide a piece of paper between the castle nut on the pitman arm ball joint and the frame :o?? Although the drag link angle is not bad at all, a slightly dropped arm would help that too.

Attachments

• 1 Comp Jig.webp
    1 Comp Jig.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 4,950
  • 12 Top View.webp
    12 Top View.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,576
  • 13 Pump Plumbing.webp
    13 Pump Plumbing.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 4,636
  • 14 Steering Shaft.webp
    14 Steering Shaft.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 4,620
  • 11 Box Mounted.webp
    11 Box Mounted.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 12,217
  • 10 Fender Cut.webp
    10 Fender Cut.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 5,209
  • 9 Welds Ground.webp
    9 Welds Ground.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 4,623
  • 8 Welded Sleeves.webp
    8 Welded Sleeves.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 4,671
  • 7 Comp Plate and Sleeves.webp
    7 Comp Plate and Sleeves.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 4,570
  • 6 Comp Overdrill.webp
    6 Comp Overdrill.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 5,131
  • 5 Comp Plate.webp
    5 Comp Plate.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 5,198
  • 4 Comp Step Drill.webp
    4 Comp Step Drill.webp
    13 KB · Views: 4,676
  • 3 Comp Holes.webp
    3 Comp Holes.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 4,732
  • 2 Comp Jig.webp
    2 Comp Jig.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 4,698
That is the direction I had planned on going but with the coils centered over the axle and the panhard mount the IFS was the better choice.

NICE WORK!

Thanks Art.? ?Yeah, I didn't think about the setup coils until you looked into it, so I guess the FJ isn't a good choice for coils.? It is the bomb for leaf springs though.? With my particular axle placement, here is what the IFS looked like on mine.? It worked great, but whacking the entire front clip support proved to be a mistake.? 

content

Attachments

• Comp IFS Box FR View.webp
    Comp IFS Box FR View.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 4,466
hey, what did you have to do with the input shaft/steering u joint to make the samurai one fit the fj60 box?  and did you use the Howe High Flow TC Pump?  and will any of the spidertrax pulleys work?

brentster16 said:
hey, what did you have to do with the input shaft/steering u joint to make the samurai one fit the fj60 box?? and did you use the Howe High Flow TC Pump?? and will any of the spidertrax pulleys work?

I'm not George but I can answer the question.

You have to get the steering joint that came with the Toyota Box. If you go back and read you will see where he shortened the Sammi steering shaft and attached the Toy joint to it. I did the same on my IFS setup. The Sammi joint is not big enough to fit the Toy shaft splines.

YOu can use any pump you want but a TC style pump works well. You can't buy the Howe pump seperate from Spidertrax, you have to but a complete Howe steering package to get it. That is why I went with PSC instead. You can buy any piece you want and the parts are very good quality. www.offroadsteering.com

The Spidertrax pulley will fit the TC style pump. Also, PSC makes their own 4 rib pulley for the sammi application now. I have one in the mail for Gregs rig ;)

brentster16 said:
hey, what did you have to do with the input shaft/steering u joint to make the samurai one fit the fj60 box?? and did you use the Howe High Flow TC Pump?? and will any of the spidertrax pulleys work?
Art pretty well nailed it.  The only thing is I have bought just the pump from Spidertrax for several setups I have done.  I never heard of the "package only" situation?  I had my buddy get the pump.  I told him to call Tom at Spidertrax, so I assume that is where he got it.  The Spidertrax pump pulley works, but if you get the Spidertrax bracket, you will need their flat profile pulley.  One of theirs (the black one) has an inset face that won't line up with the crank pulley using their bracket.

wflaw45 said:
god i want PS...what size tire determines when you switch?
31's are still ok with manual steering.  This guy had 35's and although it worked, he was not a happy camper.  A front locker makes power steering an almost absolute must regardless of tire size, especially if you wheel on rock. 

brentster16 said:
ive got 35s with no ps.?
do you have a front locker?? ?If so, watchout or you will start to look like Popeye soon ;)

....... did you have to put in a new fan like the write up in the 4x4 builder magazine?
If you really work your power steering, a cooler is an absolute must.? I have a LARGE one in my rig and put one in my buddies rig as well.?

BTW, my dad lives in Grass Valley.  Nice area and close to good wheelin.  I gave dad a spare Sami to build up a while back.  He got it just about finished but lost interest.

yeah, i would put a cooler in it no matter what, but did you put a new radiator fan in, or use the stock one?  and i have open diff in the front and lincoln locked rear.

brentster16 said:
yeah, i would put a cooler in it no matter what, but did you put a new radiator fan in, or use the stock one?? and i have open diff in the front and lincoln locked rear.
I put in a flex-lite fan and 3-core radiator.  The 1.6's seem to run quite a bit hotter than the 1.3's in my limited experience.  All that stuff keeps it cooled down enough.

whats your dads name, and what happened to the spare zuk?
His name is George.  He delivers parts a few days a week for Reebies (sp?? aka NAPA).  I took the rig back and sold it to a buddy.  He got a serious deal on that one ;)

Tusker, I have a question on this setup. Is that a toyota resevior? I have one I got for my Celica setup, but it leaks almost as much as the steering box. Are these common in other toy truck or cars?
As soon as I get a short frame extension made so I can install some longer springs, this will be my next project. I found an fj60 for $150, and talked to Sky about a pitman arm, also Sky said he has the pump bracket for around $50. I may cheap out and just use a pump from a jeep for now though.  JC

JC.  Yes, that is a reservoir from a toyota.  I think it was from a car and not a truck, but that doesn't matter much.  The supply on stand-alone reservoirs at the wreckers is pretty low.  Most power steering pumps have an integral reservoir.  I am surprised to hear that your reservoir leaks?  Is it the reservoir or the hose connections that are leaking?

I have made my own brackets in the past.  We bought this one.  I think it cost around $100.  That is too much in mind.  $50 is a lot more reasonable.  The brackets aren't too hard to make if you have a decent shop, but you need to be SURE that you get it right so the pulleys line up properly.  The Sky bracket sounds like a good deal, what pump is it designed to fit? 

I was rereading this and realized I did not answer back. I took my resevoir apart following some advice from Petroworks. I has a screen in it that was only slightly stopped up. I reistalled the top and it did not seal very good. When I am on an offcamber trail it drips out fluid. I may take it back apart and try some sealant.
Sky said he used a "sprint car pump" on his personal Samurai. But I told him I would be using a jeep tc pump. I went ahead and ordered the bracket and a 3/4 inch drop pitman arm. Now I need to get the fittings and a v pulley.  What cooler would you recommend?  Thanks again for the help.  JC

Funny, the return port on my reservoir was completely blocked by a wad of epoxy when I first got it.  When I started it up, the line quickly blew and shot ps fluid ALL OVER the car, driveway, garage, and me ;D.  My cap leaked as well, but I got another one from NAPA that has proven leak proof.

I have used several cooler styles and brands.  The type I have now is a large tube-and-fin style, about 9" by 12".  I have used even larger ones that are constructed like a radiator (actually made for tranny cooling).  They worked fine too, but I didn't think they flowed well enough so I went to the other style.  What ever you get, get a big one.  If you are locked in the front and wheel rocks, you can't overdo the cooler ;)

Tusker, I have a few more question for you. Did you use the 4 or 6 inch pulley?
Will the steering shaft from a Celica fit the shaft on the fj box? I got the joint and the lower section of the steering shaft with the fj box, but it is a 4 spline shaft. Looks like a +. Also which is the HP and LP port on the fj box?

You made mention of a crank pulley, My Zuk came with air and has a double pulley, so is that all I need. Or did you swap to a serpentine setup?

Now, can you describe the hose routing. I am thinking it goes like this.
HP from steering box to pump
LP from resevoir to pump, to steering box, to cooler and back to pump. Is this close?

One more question on a different topic, are you running stock yj springs?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Thanks for all the advice and help.? ? JC

RollTideZuk said:
Tusker, I have a few more question for you. Did you use the 4 or 6 inch pulley?
Will the steering shaft from a Celica fit the shaft on the fj box? I got the joint and the lower section of the steering shaft with the fj box, but it is a 4 spline shaft. Looks like a +. Also which is the HP and LP port on the fj box?

You made mention of a crank pulley, My Zuk came with air and has a double pulley, so is that all I need. Or did you swap to a serpentine setup?

Now, can you describe the hose routing. I am thinking it goes like this.
HP from steering box to pump
LP from resevoir to pump, to steering box, to cooler and back to pump. Is this close?

One more question on a different topic, are you running stock yj springs?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Thanks for all the advice and help.? ? JC
JC.  I used the 4-inch pulley.  The larger the pulley you use on the pump the slower your pump will turn.  Since I do slow rock crawling, I need the pump turning over as much as possible at or near idle.

I am pretty sure that the Celica shaft is WAY too small to fit the FJ (or IFS) box.  I would get one from an IFS Toyota.  It is the same spline and size as the FJ.  Your description of the steering shaft sounds strange.  I have never seen one like that.  Can you post or email me a picture?  The high-pressure port is the one nearest the center of the box.  The low pressure is the one nearest the edge.  I think you can see them in the pics.

On the crank pulley, what you have is what you need.  I suppose you can use a serpentine belt, but I don't know of a source for serpentine power steering pulleys.  I used v-belts.

The hose routing is like this:
HP:  Pump output to steering box as described above.
LP:  From resevoir to pump, from box to cccoler, from cooler to reservoir.

My springs are "stock", except that I have added a decond double main-leaf from a four pack.  The result is a six-leaf configuration.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom