3 linked diesel sami

pattersonja

Hey guys,
I've been perusing this site for some time and just wanted to say hi and share my build with you. Attached is my build thread from "Island 4x4" so I don't have to re-write the whole thing out again with all the pictures.
http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/showthread.php/57065-85-Suzuki-SJ413

Hopefully it's not in poor taste to post a link to another forum but saves taking up space with all the same pictures.
Planning to be active on this board and hopefully share some information back and forth.

Regards,
James.

Had some major rust issues so the rear tub was cut off and a new tub was fabbed out of aluminum. I'm better with aluminum welder than bondo..

Due to the limitied space when it came time to make the aluminum tub I added provisions to hold a chainsaw & two rifles to save space. Also made sure while we bobbed it a bit the stock top could snap back in place.

Welcome ....

Wow ... Sweet looking machine for sure !!!  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Your welding and modifications are just super ... Forgive me for asking , but do you fabricate all the gussets as well ?? .. I really like the ones you have on your suspension mounts .. They are super cool lookin for sure .. ;)

I would love to see a few close-up pictures of the engine , and the area around it ..  You seem to be very particular the way you do things , I really like that ..  You can tell by first look at some rigs , how much time and energy has been put into it .. I read through quite a few of your posts over on the other forum ..  You have pretty much completely rebuilt this suzuki from bottom to top ...

Excellent .... Thanks for sharing , I really appreciate it .. [thumbsup]

Hey Newfie,
Thanks for the comments much appreciated, I will snap some shots of the engine bay area today and post them up. Just went over to the shop and found a little swimming pool of antifreeze. Didn't use an "O ring" on my lower outlet decided to come back and have another coffee then tackle it..

After shortening almost all my finger tips with grinders making gussets over the years on various projects, I now just purchase them through Trail Gear. Cheap and there are always spots to fit them in.

Been waiting a long time to do this engine swap TODAY MIGHT BE THE DAY IT MAKES SMOKE!!! SO AMPED!!!

Thanks Beekiller appreciate the compliment. It would be pretty hard to make one of these to sell, Aqaulu Industries in Kelowna BC makes  nice tubs, I would steer anyone interested in their direction.

Actually got it fired up today, so cool! It needs the pump timing dialed in couple leaks fixed other than that ran pretty good for sitting so long. 

Newfie Zuk,
Here are some shots of the engine bay, with the caveat that it is a MESS temporary wires, fuel lines etc just to be sure this thing would actually run. It will be cleaned up, loomed etc.

Ended up mounting the oil filter and cooler on the drivers side fender. When the hood is closed this is covered.

Pattersonja ...

That is extreme dude  !! Seriously ,  like wow !!!  :o  :o 
You really got the VW diesel shoehorned in there to eh ??  Holy cow  !! ..  Once you tidy the wires a bit , geeze it will look 100% factory  ... Well , that's if suzuki ever made such a beast .. ;)

Your oil filter location is great too , very well protected .. I actually have mine mounted under the brake booster .. It makes for an easy ,  and mess free oil filter swap too .. They are great ...  ;D  ;D 

So the cooler is for your engine oil too is it ?? I came into ownership of one of these last fall ... It's new ,  and just sitting on the shelf ... I was wondering if it was large enough for engine oil ...  However ,  I was actually thinking of using it on my power steering ....

I am impressed , you do some amazing modifications , thats for sure ...

Keep up the great work ..  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Morning,
The cooler is plumbed down stream from the filter. Figured I wanted the oil to pass through the filter as warm as possible to keep the viscosity/resistance down. With your experience running the VW diesel, would it concern you to push oil this far on a stock oil pump? It's maybe 4' line and the cooler isn't to really any added resistance.

Fixing my leaks today and hopefully buttoning up the wiring for a test run. My hunting trip is just over a week away!!

Adios.

pattersonja date=1380550492 said:
. With your experience running the VW diesel, would it concern you to push oil this far on a stock oil pump? It's maybe 4' line and the cooler isn't to really any added resistance.

Nope it would not concern me in the least ... ;) 

It's a gear pump remember ... I have run them that far and more , in some of the diesel Jetta's I have owned ... Never an issue ...

Should be no problem at all ...  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]...

I plumbed my cooler in front and under the radiator. It is protected well enough for my travels behind the bumper. Not sure of exact hose length but it is about 5 feet total from oil filter mount to front and back. No problems so far. 

I like your build. It is the main reason I have been backing out. Some of the new rigs are so advanced compared to mine it is hard to compare or keep up.

You've got to keep wheeling don't let my build get you down the a bastard isn't even driveable right now! I know what you mean though, I've been watching some of the LS powered rigs always looking at what other folks are running. Nothing to stop us but fear and common sense ..... and the wife!

Well the zuk is done, (.... never totally done unless they've been sold..).  Ran the straight pipe for a bit but ended up installing a Dynomax muffler, the drone got annoying and I was afraid it would scare the game away! Little slower than I hoped but the inj pump is set stock, tuning will begin after this trip up north.

Doing some pump mods can really increase your horsepower ...It is actually amazing ....  ;D  ;D

However  make sure you have the appropriate guages , and hardware , or you may do damage. .... ;)

Shake down test complete:
I dragged the sami up north for our annual moose hunting trip! Love the  low end torque, really efficient on fuel (handy since the nearest town from our camp is ~350Km). Only issues were a popped heater core hose & my glow plug relay ended up quitting. All things I could fix trail side no big deal. It also developed a diesel leak on the pump from the funny rubber cover/fitting above the return outlet.
Now the trip is over I'm not going to be shy about teaking things up on the fuel delivery (once gauges are installed and baselines #'s established.) Would I do it again yep, would I recomend it, depends on your usaged and application but I'm sold!!

Any ideas what could cause this to leak? It's listed as the "Vent Bore M" located above the return line outlet and below the "connection for the charge air"? Fairly constant leak while under acceleration worried about it leaking diesel on all my new hoses. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Yes ,  I do  ..... It is your fuel pin leaking ... ;)

It leaks down below , inside the pump  , but will fill the aroid , and drain out through the vent ... 

The worst thing is that the top end of the injection pump has to be removed  to service it too .. I firmly  Don't recommend doing it  , with the pump attached to the engine either ... :(

More than likely it's just the O-ring , which can dry out if the engine was not used for some time,  and the pump went low on diesel fuel  ... If the pump had no storage liquid into it , the seals will go hard over time ...  >:(  >:(     GGRR !!

This will give you an idea :

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=153154

P

No problem at all ...  ;)  ;)

Meant to tell you earlier too James , your rig just looks terrific , and the antlers and inflatable just makes it look better ...

You have the best of both worlds there Bro ... It's a  real outback , offroad beast , and with the diesel thrown into the mix , well I am sensing a doomsday vehicle here  too now !!

love it !!  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom