ZOOM September '10 - zukitough (Ben Myers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genchaos

Congratulations to September 2010 Zuwharrie Owner of the Month Ben Myers (zukitough)

How does it feel being honored along with the past winners?

Wow, what a real surprise! I never thought I would have bee chosen for ZOOM. Thanks to all who made this happen.

So tell us about you.  Who are you, where do you live, and what do you do for a living?

My name is Ben and have been stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC for a little over 14 years. I have been in the US Army for 15 years along with just finishing up my 5th deployment recently. My job skill is Special Electronics Repairman, 94F.

Tell us a bit about your family.

I just recently (July 28th) had my 3 year anniversary with my awesome wife, Joann. I have known her for about 6 years now. She is my best friend and I honestly don’t know how she puts up with me. I have one son, James (Jimmy) who is soon to be 2 years old on 14 October.

How did you get started in Suzuki’s? And/or how did you come across your current zuk?

After being stationed at Ft. Bragg the 1st time, I soon realized the off-roading opportunity of this area. I only owned a 2wd S-10 at the time. So I began looking for a cheap 4x4. I had always wanted a Samurai since they first introduced in the US. Around ‘00, I found a baby blue one for sale on the base’s “lemon lot” for $1400. I talked the guy down to $1200. It had spent some time in Germany throughout the previous owner’s tours which became apparent when I tore out the carpet and found German currency. It is now the John Deere Green/Yellow appearing in my avatar and named zukitough.

Throughout the years, I have had many Suzuki’s but still kept my 1st one. I have owned a white convertible Samurai, a dark blue convertible Samurai, a 4 door Sidekick and still have a black tintop.

How long did it take you to build your Zuk to what it is today?

I started cutting on zukitough 2 weeks after I bought it. Lifts and mods:
-shackle lift then,
-spring over then,
-added a virtual lift by cutting fenders
-YJ benmade missing link
-4 link and coils front and rear(still in the process)
Any changes in store for your rig? And where would you like to see your zuk in 5 years?

Yes, I notched the front and installed a coil spring 4 link which is almost done. Next is to notch the rear and 4 link it with coils as well. In 5 years I hope to have it all finished, LOL. No really, I have no time to work on it due to deployments, family time, other projects. However, if I were planning a wish list then I would want the rear body dovetailed, cinch winches installed, extraction winch installed, built V4, V6 or V8, auto transmission, and bulletproof axles. 

If you could have anybody else’s Zuk, who’s would it be and why?

Dang, that is a hard question. There are several nice zuks on here. There are ones that I have helped work on, weld on and helped build from the ground up. However if I really could choose ANY zuk, then it would be either the lime green tintop on tractor tires that races at Dennis Anderson’s Muddy Motorsports Park or one I saw that races the Iceland 4x4 series that is blaze orange tintop for sheer huge horsepower/insaneness.

What has been your best wheeling adventure?

I truly cant pick just one. I have had so many good times with Zuwharrie at UNF it is just hard to single out just one. Just for the sake of having to choose, I would say the one a couple years ago when it seemed EVERYONE was there and the dedication occurred for Art’s Camp.

If you could go to any place in the world to wheel, where would that be?

I really want to travel to Alaska someday and wheel the vast trails there. I better watch what I ask for because the Army may try to send me there someday.

Who are you closest to in the Zuwharrie community?

I have lots of great friends in the Zuwharrie community: redidbull and family, R/T and family, norzuki, madbob, BCREW and family, durnzuki, gotzuk, MR DIY, etc. but I would be an idiot if I didn’t say zukitoughsgirl(Joann). She kind goes into a different category altogether for closest. Sorry guys, she has an unfair advantage.

What other toys/hobbies do you put a lot of time into?

I really like to hunt and fish when I get the chance. I also like to ride my ATVs, in fact me and Joann brought just ATVs one year to an event(not by choice, zukitough was on jackstands like normal).

What is it about the Zuwharrie.com BBS that brings you back for more?

It is no doubt the family atmosphere here that keeps me here. There is really no bashing or cussing like other sites which is refreshing. Also there really is a vast amount of knowledge here too.

What about the Zuwharrie Event would you like to see changed?

If only there was a way to have everyone there at once, granted there wouldn’t be any room on the trails but it would be great to just meet everyone.

Got a funny or interesting wheeling story related to your zuk?

The backyard wheeling trip at madbob’s house. We went trail exploring down near the creek and ponds out behind his house. First Bob gets jammed solid in the creek and when Joann tried to pull him out with my zuk, it blew a front birf. Then I couldn’t cross back across the creek and pull myself up and out.  I went and got my old Ford utility truck with a 12k winch on it to pull us out. And then came the rains! Well my Ford was 4x4 but had road tires that had no grip at all. It was fun just trying to keep it from getting stuck on the way to the extraction point. We get there and proceed to get Bob unstuck, in the process the Ford  gets stuck. We used the winch to get it out but broke the cable as well. And the rain continued to pour. Here in the Sandhills, when it rains in the summer it pours for either a couple minutes or a couple hours. This was one of those hours and hours times. I gave up on trying to extract zukitough and did my best to get the Ford out of there. We came back the next days after the flood to find zukitough still there except for one thing, the fuel cell had taken on water. Thank goodness gasoline floats. I drained as much as water as I could and gave it a try to fire it up. It started ran rough and came out of there rather easy due to the logjam that had wedged under it.  

Contact Information:
Name: Benjamin
Zuwharrie user name: zukitough
Nickname:  Ben
Email: zukitough@gmail.com

Main Vehicle Specs:
Year: 1990
Make: Suzuki
Model: Samurai
Color: JD green and yellow

Driveline: stock except for the 6.5:1 transfer case

Steering: in the process to be full hydro

Suspension: in the process to be coils and 4 link

Tires/Wheels : 35s for rocks and 39.5 boggers for mud

Armor :  ???? I wear an IOTV and MICH for me, none for the truck.

Interior :  Rough

Exterior : Tractor paint that is hard as nails.

Recovery gear :  if it gets built right this time I won’t need any.

Best Modification:  6.5:1 gears for the transfer case

Worse Modification: my poorly designed roll cage

Future Mods: already discussed

content

content

content

content

content

content

content

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 820
  • 052800951456[00].webp
    052800951456[00].webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCF0005.webp
    DSCF0005.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0756.webp
    IMG_0756.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 821
congrats Ben.  that was a fun time in the back yard.  I have tons of stories like those.  seems I got stuck more often than not back there.

I truly love this website/forum. What a great group of people. I really appreciate all the recognition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom