VolkToyZuki

I'm using "the right stuff". We'll see how that goes. I've used it to seal up coolant leaks before when a new gasket wouldn't do it. Fingers crossed.

With the crack that accessible, and it being cast iron, I'd take it to a TIG welder and have them weld it up.  Man you haven't had much luck with this engine setup. 

Recommendation - if yours is an AHU and you have the computers hooked up, get a OBD II adapter and use Torque on a tablet to read temp in real time.  I do this in mine to also get engine RPMS.

NoMoreMondays date=1629298025 said:
With the crack that accessible, and it being cast iron, I'd take it to a TIG welder and have them weld it up.  Man you haven't had much luck with this engine setup. 

Recommendation - if yours is an AHU and you have the computers hooked up, get a OBD II adapter and use Torque on a tablet to read temp in real time.  I do this in mine to also get engine RPMS.
If this silicone doesn't work that'll have to be the next step.

It is an AHU. I have the stock temp gauge hooked up and I can tell by my oil pressure dropping when it's starting to run too warm/is low on coolant. My stock tach works. Ideally I'd like to make a custom cluster with mechanical gauges but there's so little room for all of them.

Tried something a bit different recently. After mentally building my rad/intercooler mount I made it in CAD. Tried CAD for the fuel tank a couple years ago but it never really clicked. I finally figured out the basics and could design this fairly quickly.

Screenshot_20210913_222937.webp

20210913_192004.webp

20210918_173142.webp

20210918_173148.webp

20210918_184500.webp

Minor mods to the upright parts that I didn't put in the CAD model.

20210918_170910.webp

20210918_170842.webp

Here's some crappy pics of how the lower charge pipe is gonna fit. It's 2.5" 304 stainless. Only using 2.5" because that's how big my intercooler and intake manifold are.

20210918_203235.webp

20210918_203225.webp

Got it all together yesterday. Piping worked out half decent. Added about 0.5gal of coolant capacity. Took almost exactly 2gal.
20211009_160103.webp
20211009_164443.webp
20211009_142205.webp
20211009_142219.webp
I was about to finally drive it back home and it made a nasty screeching sound when started. Quickly shut it down. Pulled the starter out and it wasn't stuck. No obvious marks on the back of the flywheel. Tried again and the noise did go away after a bit and it's clutch related. Other issue is it's only running on 3 cylinders. No idea why either of those things would happen.

Nice work with the intercooler, the routing is simple and it looks very well mounted. Do you have a manifold pressure sensor somewhere? I don't see one hiding anywhere, but that's needed for the ECU, isn't it?

Thanks. The simple routing is why I like the front mounts with same side inlet and outlet.

The map sensor is built into the ECU on the AHU. That boost line on the manifold T's to my gauge the map sensor under the dash. It's good and bad at the same time. Don't need to weld anything to the pipes for a swap but upgrading map sensor is a bit more work than remove and replace if you get to that point with your mods.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten the stock ECU worked that way. Honestly it sounds a little more convenient than what I've got. I doubt I'll ever increase my boost enough to need the 3 bar map sensor anyway.

I probably won't either. Common rail swap would be my next step.

I determined why it was running on 3 cylinders.

20211011_144834.webp

20211011_145044.webp
Consequences of working too long. It's not the first time it's eaten a rag. Runs fine with the rag removed. Clutch is making a weird sound and the pedal seems to be kinda sticking on the way up. I'll have to figure that out when I take the trans off to try to fix the leak on the back of the block again.

20211104_122648.webp

20211106_151912.webp

It's been working half decent. Fuel mileage has slightly increased. Drivetrain noise significantly reduced after changing failed damper pulley, hub centric rings on rear wheels, and trans and t case oil change to MT-90. Shifts nicer too. EGT has never been lower. With a slight tail wind I've seen 575f preturbo. When it's totally calm it's low 600s. I know from past experience that intake manifold helps a lot and it appears this massive intercooler made a bit of a difference too. Probably at least partly because my leaky wastegate is slightly overboosting. Against a strong headwind it stays under 800f. Old intake and intercooler would've been 900f+. No intercooler I'm sure would've been over 1200f.

20211026_090254.webp

20211101_144739.webp

And of course the coolant leaks never stop with this thing. Gave it another layer of tape and another turn tighter but I'm still losing coolant somewhere. Something that was leaking was spraying the firewall too.

20211106_150557.webp

They are 16x7 from an 01 Grand Vitara. I love them. That's why I go through the work of converting my toyota axle to 5x5.5. Gotta keep these wheels.

Well I took the glow plugs out of the head outlet and welded the holes shut thinking they were leaking. Pressure tested it and the crack in the block is where it's coming from again. Only leaks when it's hot and that's why I couldn't get it to leak when I had the trans off a few months ago. It's probably just gonna get parked for a while again while I wait to have money to fix it. Might try sticking an ALH in, might try getting my CJAA repaired, might look for another AHU, don't know yet. Big bummer. I just ordered new tires for it too.

Diesel_Zuk said:
Common rail would be slick.
It really would. Unfortunately the money is just not there yet. I was hoping to get at least another 2 or 3 years out of this before I do the common rail.

I got the motor out and the crack has spread significantly and is branching off into more cracks. It's almost right across the back side. I was planning on welding the crack but after seeing how much it has spread I don't think there is hope for this block. I don't know how deep it is. I expect it will eventually reach the cylinder wall. I'm now looking for another AHU. They're not quite as common in Canada because half the time we had the AAZ instead. It's the simplest option. If I can't find one for a reasonable price I'll end up tweaking some stuff and making an ALH fit. But I'd prefer to stick with an AHU for simplicity.

20211120_172432.webp

Check copart.ca for auctions. To be honest, I see far more AHU?s there than I do here. 

if you want to rebuild, I think I could get you a block, I know of a few.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom