Transfer case sensing unit

leyfly

One of the wires that goes to the sensor on top of the transfer case broke off even with the top of the sensor. Anyone ever have this problem? I searched for a new sensor but don?t see one on the internet. The top of the sensor seems to be made of plastic. I was wondering if I could break it out, fix the wires and fill it back in with silicone. I know I don?t need to see a light on the dash to tell if I?m in 4 wheel drive or not but this 87 Samy is still stock and I?d like to keep things working. Any ideas?

Thanks, I called myself looking but I guess I didn?t scroll far enough down. Thanks a million for the reply and thanks for the forum, so helpful.

This is an old thread but I thought I would offer a way to fix the broken wire.  It worked for me and it will for you too.

I used a moto tool, a cutting wheel and a milling bit to grind the outer surface of the metal housing and potting (epoxy) to expose the contact stud where the wire is SOLDERED to.  I soldered the wire back on and put some epoxy back on to secure the wire.  Worked great and is still working.

content

content
content

Attachments

• 0117191821.webp
    0117191821.webp
    76.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 0117191820.webp
    0117191820.webp
    111.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 0117191830.webp
    0117191830.webp
    74.2 KB · Views: 134
Bigfootford said:
This is an old thread but I thought I would offer a way to fix the broken wire.  It worked for me and it will for you too.

I used a moto tool, a cutting wheel and a milling bit to grind the outer surface of the metal housing and potting (epoxy) to expose the contact stud where the wire is SOLDERED to.  I soldered the wire back on and put some epoxy back on to secure the wire.  Worked great and is still working.

content

content
content
Good job on the fix, but when you can get a new one for about $22, I personally wouldn't bother.

Diesel_Zuk said:
Good job on the fix, but when you can get a new one for about $22, I personally wouldn't bother.
I like to see how things are made internally and it pisses me off that the mfg pot the parts so we can not get at the tab.  I understand the reasoning for doing that but the wire is going to break like it did sometime.  It took me less than 15 min to fix it.
There are other ways to strain relief a wire to protect if from vibration.  Heat, we can not do much about that.
As for spending $$ on parts I guess I am from another era of  life of 75 years and  I like fixing things.

Bigfootford said:
I like to see how things are made internally and it pisses me off that the mfg pot the parts so we can not get at the tab.  I understand the reasoning for doing that but the wire is going to break like it did sometime. 
There are other ways to strain relief a wire to protect if from vibration.  Heat, we can not do much about that.
As for spending $$ on parts I guess I am from another era of  life of 75 years and  I like fixing things.

That is a true statement. Personally if I were going to run it after repairing it, I would get some epoxy on there with some pieces of tubing or something to reduce the possibility of strain and kinking.

And indeed, no disrespect, but we are definitely from two very different eras. I am almost 25 now, and my generation has been raised on the entire "If part of it's broke, just replace the entire thing" philosophy. Heck, pretty much EVERYTHING manufactured anymore, is made with that in mind. Even cars for the most part. They seem to be 75% plastic.

That said, I do enjoy repairing mechanical things too, to an extent possible.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom