Trail Gear Rock Assault Rear Axle

pattersonja

Hello all,
I did a search & there isn't much info on this upgrade for yoda axles. I've been wanting the proper off set rear axle for a while & just ordered it yesterday! If anyone has experience with this install would be great to check it out pics/stories... I'll definitely post some pics and details of the install. Looking like 6 weeks minimum before it lands here. 

Attachments

• Sami 37s.webp
    Sami 37s.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 44
I'm on Toyota axles with an offset custom rear built from an OEM Toyota housing, but not Trail Gear Rock Assaults. I've been lusting after a pair of Rock Assault housings for quite a while though.... The toughness & extra bit of clearance is really great.

Your install shouldn't be much different than any other Toyota axles.
So you're already on Yotas with a centered rear diff, but got a Rock Assault rear for the Samurai offset?

Are your current axles 79-85 track width, or IFS rear and 79-85 front with IFS hubs etc to widen it?

ZZZ

I have 1985 yota rear in there there now with a spool. Guess my main thoughts would be if the rear disc brake kit will swap over, if not pretty easy to make new caliper brackets.
What are you running for a drive shaft? I have a double cardan at the T case but always have vibration & harmonics so hoping the off set pumpkin will help, my splines are a bit worn so that's not helping ha ha.. Once this last mod is done I'm going to order a Tom Woods custom drive shaft.

Lot's of upgrades coming this winter I'll post my progress! 

That's gonna be an awesome upgrade. Do you have more pictures of your truck anywhere? I'd like to see more of the build, particularly the body stuff.

Can you share your driveshaft measurements? Tcase output to pinion, vertical offset, angles, etc? I'm curious to know how it all works out (or doesn't) with your giant tires.

I?ll see what I have for pictures, the diesel is great complete long block rebuild, Giles pump and injectors. It has the t-case 6.5 gears and 5.29 in the axles. It turns the 37?s really well. Been building this Sami for years and it?s my daily driver when I?m back from camp.

With the driveshaft offset to match the centered housing, you're gonna get vibes. The rock assaults should fix that as long as you point the pinion at the transfer case. I like to have the u-joint angle down at about 3 degrees off of the driveshaft angle. this helps keep the needle bearings from fretting the caps while cruising and will account for a bit of leaf spring wrap while under load when vibes would be most noticeable. Just keep in mind that if you're running a CV driveshaft, the single u-joint end needs to be nearly dead straight to not have vibes. That includes left to right as much as up and down. 

Much appreciated sir! All excellent info I?ll double check all that before burning the leaf perches down! Those vibes are driving me crazy. I rebuilt the  trans and transfer cases last winter don?t want to hammer out the seals

pattersonja said:
Been building this Sami for years and it?s my daily driver when I?m back from camp.

No kidding. That's one hell of a daily driver.

BTW I did find some more pictures, thanks to k1n3k's link to your photobucket album in the main build thread. It looks awesome.

k1n3k said:
Just keep in mind that if you're running a CV driveshaft, the single u-joint end needs to be nearly dead straight to not have vibes. That includes left to right as much as up and down.

That's what I was thinking about earlier. With the new axle it'll be possible to make the CV driveshaft work properly, and if a CV shaft is required due to the lift, then that's that. But if a non-CV shaft fits without excessive u-joint angles, go for that. It's cheaper, stronger, allows more flex, and is less sensitive to changes in ride height, which might be important for a rig that is used as a daily and as a heavily-loaded camping trip vehicle.

Merry Christmas folks! I haven't received my axle yet but when I do I'll be sure to post the upgrade. Man I'm going nuts it was a prepaid purchase October 14, ha ha was going to be my holiday project. Luckily there is never a shortage of projects!!

Quick update?? no update ha ha still waiting for my axle! I really hoped to have this as a project for the nasty winter days. Soon I hope!

STILL!?! I think you might consider buying a pickaxe. It might be quicker to start with raw ore and build one from scratch.

Finally got around to getting this axle installed 😁🤟🤟

Attachments

• 117E8A54-9031-4F68-BC0C-B3582C0A3D1F.webp
    117E8A54-9031-4F68-BC0C-B3582C0A3D1F.webp
    209.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C1ED1886-D132-4285-8D13-9D7519CA455A.webp
    C1ED1886-D132-4285-8D13-9D7519CA455A.webp
    157.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E0F2875E-01D8-4FFB-B72B-499C5BAB93C0.webp
    E0F2875E-01D8-4FFB-B72B-499C5BAB93C0.webp
    199 KB · Views: 10
Having the diff off set again I figured to completely lose the vibs I’d replace the worn TG drive shaft. The splines were shot and the bearing caps pretty loose. Drive nice and smoothly now. Great upgrade! Tom Woods 🤟

Attachments

• 5E4F399C-3A6A-4B02-B2F4-AC028D643D5A.webp
    5E4F399C-3A6A-4B02-B2F4-AC028D643D5A.webp
    194.9 KB · Views: 10
  • C2CACCC8-6F57-4B3B-8318-964D8209E2C6.webp
    C2CACCC8-6F57-4B3B-8318-964D8209E2C6.webp
    219.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom