Trail Gear 6.5 Gear Installation

I bought this kit few days ago and try it when it comes to Ukraine 8)))
May be I will need 1.3 t-case for it 8(((

podarok said:
I bought this kit few days ago and try it when it comes to Ukraine 8)))
May be I will need 1.3 t-case for it 8(((

Post some pictures of your T-case up and let us take a look at it. And if you can crack it open so we can see the inside of it.

MIDZUKI said:
Do you need to remove the output shaft if you are not replacing it, when you install the gears?

The ouput shaft for the front can remain in the case. You may be able  to get away with just cracking open the main case for the gear swap. just keep in mind  that it is easierto remove adn replace all the gears with front of the t-case fasing down. The larger case should be whats removed.

The input flange and rear ouput flange will have to be removed. because the shafts will be replaced.

Hope this helps  ;)

I was able  to drive my samurai around the yard a few weeks ago and the gears are wicked low. I still have just the 31's on, my 33's are waiting their turn. I can deffinitley tell I need a gear drop in the axles now. So I can't wait until I get some yotas with 4.10's. I'd be able to get bigger tires then  ;D

Biggerhammer said:
Where are you in Tennessee, samuraiguytn?

Im in Kingsport tn,  I think About what 200+ miles away from crossville.
your neck of  the woulds has some nice scenary.

I put my 33's on and the low range is still incredible. I can rev it up to around 4000 RPMS and still only do 1 MPH  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kingsport is rather nice also.

Have you posted up in here yet? http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,56873.0/all.html

There is a Tennessee board here once you ask to join, you will have access to it (it's hidden till you post up and ask to join).

I just installed my 6.5 gears also.  Wasn't a big deal at all.  The hardest part for me was getting the speedo bullet out (Im in Ohio and they salt here, etc.).  I followed these directons below, and didn't have any issues.  Hopefully I can get the case back in the Zuk this weekend  ::)

http://www.trail-gear.com/tech/zuk65gears/index.html

Ebernard said:
I just installed my 6.5 gears also. Wasn't a big deal at all. The hardest part for me was getting the speedo bullet out (Im in Ohio and they salt here, etc.). I followed these directons below, and didn't have any issues. Hopefully I can get the case back in the Zuk this weekend ::)

http://www.trail-gear.com/tech/zuk65gears/index.html

yeah those directions are almost as good as mine.  ;D  He did take better pictures then I did.

Very Informative for those of us that haven't been inside a Sammy Tcase... I do have a question or 3 for you tho.... Was that a set of 4.16's that you were removing? If so,would you be intrested in selling them and if so,for how much? And lastly, you said you swapped from 31s to 33s, how did your Sammy perform on the 31s with the old gears on the road at speed?

Thanks....David

BamaSammy said:
Very Informative for those of us that haven't been inside a Sammy Tcase... I do have a question or 3 for you tho.... Was that a set of 4.16's that you were removing? If so,would you be intrested in selling them and if so,for how much? And lastly, you said you swapped from 31s to 33s, how did your Sammy perform on the 31s with the old gears on the road at speed?

Thanks....David

The Gears I removed were Trail Toughs 4.16:1 gears. I had 31's and The 4.16'2 were great. It still seemed a little under powered for my taste. But thats because I still have a stock engine. On the street there was a noticable difference in performance over stock. But I still used 4th gear on the highway over 5th. The 4 wheel low was where it was at. I ended up trading the gears  to Bama Zuk, so you may ask him about buying them.

Thanks man,I am about to SPOA my 87 and it is supposed to be about 4.5" so I am figuring on 31's.Everyone I have talked to with a Sammy so far has told me to go with 4.16's or the 5whatever to 1 set. I am not new to mechanicing at all,just new to the SAMMY and the way the drive train is set up. I do appreciate the info that I recieve,and I do put it to good use.
David

BamaSammy said:
Thanks man,I am about to SPOA my 87 and it is supposed to be about 4.5" so I am figuring on 31's.Everyone I have talked to with a Sammy so far has told me to go with 4.16's or the 5whatever to 1 set. I am not new to mechanicing at all,just new to the SAMMY and the way the drive train is set up. I do appreciate the info that I recieve,and I do put it to good use.
David

My suggestion to you would be  to get the lower of the two gear drops. mainly because  the cost is similar and for any future modifications you may and probably will do you'll want to change to a lower gearing. With you having 31's and the lower gear ratio you should deffinitly be able to use your 5th gear on the road and you will have the torque needed to climb supper steep hills off-road. Either gear ratio you chose make sure you get a beifier T-case mount. or get the one you have beefed up. The mounts for the T-case were not designed to take the amount of Torque the gear drops put out. If you don't, you will eventually torque the mounts or possibly cracking your Tcase.  Trail Tough makes a good one as well as another company that makes a bucket like mount that doubles as a skid. Which is what I would get. Hope this helps even more.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom