Trail Gear 6.5 Gear Installation

samuraiguytn

I've always wanted to do a "how to". SO Seeing as how I just recieved an upgrade for my T-case. I wanna show how the Trail Gear Installation of 6.5 gears works. So stay tuned. :)

sami65gear-225.jpg

Every thing you see here comes with the Kit. One thing that is not shown is the Out put shaft I had ordered. You can deffinitly see a difference in size. unfortunately I don't have pictures yet to show a comparison.

Start with removing the Shifter from the case. Mine required just a phillips head screw driver. And Two larger screw drivers to help twist out the cap holding the shifter in place.

On the under side using two 12mm wrenches i removed each drive shaft and a 14mm wrench to remove the nuts holding the T-case arms in place.

Next remove the drive shaft flanges.

After removing the T-case bolts place them in a baggy or some other way as to not forget their location. I placed mine in another T-case shell.
P1010801.jpg

Keep in mind the placement of your current gears. It helps to take a picture of there original location. Clean the case of any dirt and old oil.

Start gear placement with the center gears. Keep the original shaft and bearings in place to prevent contamination of the new shaft and bearings. Simply slide the new gear in place with the smaller end first. Note where the Gear meets the side of the T-case
P1010794-1.jpg

Remove the gear and old shaft and carefully grind away enough material to allow room for oil and gears to move freely. ( I used an angle grinder )
P1010797edited.jpg

P1010798-1.jpg

After the gear is in place and moving freely, you can now focus your attention on the Low/ high gear shaft. The high gear came off relatively with ease. The Low end gear had to be removed with a puller. Currently I do not have pictures of this process but should have some soon. 
The Best way to go about this process is to heat up each part to be removed. The larger/Low gear has several pieces pressed on to hold it in place. These parts face to the rear of the vehicle. ( you will need a bearing Press to place the new gear and smaller rings back into place.) Also keep in mind the Shifter rings when you place shaft and gears together.

Currently I am trying to get the old input shaft to come out. But I am having trouble removing the drive shaft flange.
If yours is more friendly then you should be able to continue. Using a press(or BFH) remove the shaft and bearing.
P1010799-1.jpg

Press the new bearing onto the new shaft and new shaft back into the previous location.
At this time you Can put your T-case back together.

(Note I'll return to edit this Post as I continue)

whats the diffrence in the rro 6.1 to the 6.5.1 ? can i run 33" tires if i put a set of 6.5.1 gears?
or do i have to do the 5.12 3rds also. because RRO said that. High range reduction with both gearsets is 24% which happens to be dead perfect for 33" tires without having to touch the ring and pinions.

You should be able to run 33's without touching the ring and pinion. I will be. But at the same time you have to keep in mind that the rest of your drivetrain from the T-case on down will be taking alot of stress. Im going this rout so When I move over to toyota axles Im not out a bunch of money when I get rid of the ones I have now.

UPDATED

samuraiguytn said:
sami65gear-225.jpg

Every thing you see here comes with the Kit. One thing that is not shown is the Out put shaft I had ordered. You can deffinitly see a difference in size.
P1010796.jpg

Start with removing the Shifter from the case. Mine required just a phillips head screw driver. And Two larger screw drivers to help twist out the cap holding the shifter in place.

On the under side using two 12mm wrenches i removed each drive shaft and a 14mm wrench to remove the nuts holding the T-case arms in place.

Next remove the drive shaft flanges.

After removing the T-case bolts place them in a baggy or some other way as to not forget their location. I placed mine in another T-case shell.
P1010801.jpg

Keep in mind the placement of your current gears. It helps to take a picture of there original location. Clean the case of any dirt and old oil.

Start gear placement with the center gears. Keep the original shaft and bearings in place to prevent contamination of the new shaft and bearings. Simply slide the new gear in place with the smaller end first. Note where the Gear meets the side of the T-case
P1010794-1.jpg

Remove the gear and old shaft and carefully grind away enough material to allow room for oil and gears to move freely. ( I used an angle grinder )
P1010797edited.jpg

P1010798-1.jpg

Also check the middle  gear against the other cover, for it too needs to be ground down some.
P1010802-1.jpg

After the gear is in place and moving freely, you can now focus your attention on the Low/ high gear shaft. The high gear came off relatively with ease. The Low end gear had to be removed with a puller. Currently I do not have pictures of this process but should have some soon.
The Best way to go about this process is to heat up each part to be removed. The larger/Low gear has several pieces pressed on to hold it in place. These parts face to the rear of the vehicle. ( you will need a bearing Press to place the new gear and smaller rings back into place.) Also keep in mind the Shifter rings when you place shaft and gears together.

Currently I am trying to get the old input shaft to come out. But I am having trouble removing the drive shaft flange.
If yours is more friendly then you should be able to continue. Using a press(or BFH) remove the shaft and bearing.
P1010799-1.jpg

I was able to finally remove the D-Shaft Flange.
Press the new bearing onto the new shaft and new shaft back into the previous location.
P1010795.jpg

Check for fitment. Make sure gears move freely.
P1010794-2.jpg

Final Instulation.
When placing T-Case back together. Use this Section of the T-case to place gears on. I found that it made it so much easier to install everything.
P1010804.jpg

Finished
P1010803.jpg

While rotating the input shaft, I noticed how slow the output would spin.  ;D

i got my puller from autozone when i did my rebuild. and it isn't hard at al just remeber were the bolts came from and how the gears were on the shafts

yeah the puller was easy to use. I also heated up all the parts with a torch. when the parts are sitting in cold temperatures,  they become harder to pull apart.

s2daddy said:
what type pf puller and just like a propane torch???? and what other common things do you need....

I borrowed the puller, but it looks like to thin wedges that are bolted together as you tighten the bolts, the bearings or rings seperat a little. then utilizing a press  or the like remove the bearings. as far as heating it up a propane torch is what I used. YOu don't want to heat it up to red hot because you could worp the bearings. I just reused mine, I had just replaced them less  then 3000 miles before.

Hope this helps. You can always go and go to Auto zone to get the puller. Actually you may not even need one if you have a press. 

Or

You can send your T-case and gears to me along with some $ and $ for shipping and I'll do it. ;D

100.00 plus 20 for return shipping. or Shoot me a PM with an offer.
for me to do the install.

But if your talking about the puller I can't imagine it being all that much.

How long did it take you to get your gears? I ordered mine two weeks ago. I can't wait! I ordered mine directly from trail gear though because they had free shipping. Low range is cheaper but the shipping puts it exactly the same price. They just become another vendor between me and the original vendor for the same price. I have heard good things about low range offroad though!  [red_s]

I think it took around a week and a half.  I too went with them because of the free Shipping. oh no, I think it took just over a week. I called Trail Gear and asked about my order. The guy that answered the Phone was nice and told exactly when to expect it. He was right, came the day he said it would. [approve]

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom