Tow Pig 2.0

bad zuki

Well then end of the first era in tow rigs.  The red Dodge will be missed, but new ones are here to stay. The 2wd is the only thing I hated about the res dodge, even with a ton of duece engine in the bed. It would get stuck on flat ground.  So the new truck had to be 4wd.  And I've been looking high/low/west coast. Trying to  find a legendary truck.  A 1998 QCLB 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 truck.  Only made for 4 months. And one popped up last December.  And it was 20 minutes away.  Sure enough it needed work. But for the price I couldn't pass it up.  I present to you a truck I bought in the dark and have not seen it run!  So into the shop it goes .   The plan is to build a 2nd. Gen Dodge that as good or better than a 4th gen Dodge. It is to be the old man mobile. 

Attachments

• KIMG2983.webp
    KIMG2983.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 98
So onwards I went.  The kdp had popped out and broke the timing cover. So I decided to pull the head off and make dowel rods to help get the cam.  FSM tells you to do that.  Swapped the new timing cover. Put the cam back in and sent the head off to the machine shop.  Head had to be decked .019!!!! So I got a new Cummins .020 over head gasket and new arp head studs for it. The new valve springs from pac brake and 4k govener springs. Milled the rocker arm assembly's down and put the top end back together. 

Attachments

• KIMG2947.webp
    KIMG2947.webp
    86.4 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG2944.webp
    KIMG2944.webp
    62 KB · Views: 71
  • KIMG2945.webp
    KIMG2945.webp
    73.1 KB · Views: 79
  • KIMG2932.webp
    KIMG2932.webp
    76 KB · Views: 79
  • KIMG2926.webp
    KIMG2926.webp
    70.3 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG2920.webp
    KIMG2920.webp
    73.9 KB · Views: 85
Aids10 date=1548033184 said:
Most people only own a dodge once, you're a brave man :P

Dodge makes a great  engine stand.  I had a lot of luck with the last one.  The trick to having a Dodge is to have one with the least amount of Dodge products.

bad zuki date=1548080212 said:
Dodge makes a great  engine stand.  I had a lot of luck with the last one.  The trick to having a Dodge is to have one with the least amount of Dodge products.

That?s gotta be why Sean is into the Fummins stuff! I?ve been wanting to swap a 12 valve into an excursion, or possibly an OBS Chevy!

Diesel_Zuk said:
That?s gotta be why Sean is into the Fummins stuff! I?ve been wanting to swap a 12 valve into an excursion, or possibly an OBS Chevy!

I want a crew cab square body dually. But Sean's Truck is completely awesome. He just won't let me drive it.  IDK why. 

Still dealling with some leaks from the ps coupler, thermostat housing., And I think one injector.

beekiller said:
And miss the sweet pun? Dambit man. ;D

Pun not missed.  But giggled at. The goal of this build is a direct shot at the ricer diesel community. Way to many funny looking 1/2 jacked up, 24 inch rims mobiles around here.  Want to build a truck like dodge should have done years ago.

Well good and bad news.  I have 2 leaks hopefully pinned down.   Pulled the vacuum pump And the thermostat housing. Back off.  Gaskets won't be in till tomorrow. 

But I did throw on the sweet arse headlights. 

Attachments

• KIMG2988.webp
    KIMG2988.webp
    75.5 KB · Views: 86
You need to swap that engine into a 2500 OBS Chevy. Here in Utah I?ve been seeing 1993-1998 suburban 2500?s going for $800-$2,000 in good shape, maybe not running, but usually pretty good shape.

Well I'll try and update this thread in the correct order.   The Dodge was running!!  Leak free I might add.  Thing pulls like a freight train.  And rolls coal like one too.  This was built to have towing twins down the road.  Drove it to aftermarket 4x4s 4 hours away and I was happy to be done with it.  Or so I thought.  Sooo was helping a friend pick up a set of axles 2 hours north of home.  And of course my luck showed up and the transmission blew up an hour from home.  

Attachments

• KIMG3661.webp
    KIMG3661.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 74
  • KIMG3624.webp
    KIMG3624.webp
    96.8 KB · Views: 73
  • KIMG3760.webp
    KIMG3760.webp
    166.1 KB · Views: 85
  • KIMG3774.webp
    KIMG3774.webp
    147.9 KB · Views: 72
Since my luck showed up after I had just gotten back from vacation and I was low on funds. I waited a month or so at mom and dad's shop to recoop some funds to build this trans.  In the process of this a friend shows up and asked what happened to my truck.  I told him what happened and he told me he was selling his truck with all the options I wanted. So I became the owner of a V10 gas truck for $1500.  

So, I took the trans, heavy duty transfer case, and limited slip rear axle and put them into the green Dodge.  Made the parking brake work. And every other drivetrain mod I could do. 

Attachments

• KIMG3759.webp
    KIMG3759.webp
    166.4 KB · Views: 77
Well since it's been driving Ive slowly been collecting parts for the interior. Seat foam and new covers.   I'll be ordering a new dash next week to fix the hole that a cattle guard put in the old one.... Other than that.  I got a topper yesterday. And will be fitting it into a camper for this weekends float trip in Penn/Jersey. 

Old man status has been achieved!!

Attachments

• KIMG3793.webp
    KIMG3793.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 65
  • KIMG3792.webp
    KIMG3792.webp
    109.1 KB · Views: 75
bad zuki said:
Since my luck showed up after I had just gotten back from vacation and I was low on funds. I waited a month or so at mom and dad's shop to recoop some funds to build this trans.  In the process of this a friend shows up and asked what happened to my truck.  I told him what happened and he told me he was selling his truck with all the options I wanted. So I became the owner of a V10 gas truck for $1500. 

So, I took the trans, heavy duty transfer case, and limited slip rear axle and put them into the green Dodge.  Made the parking brake work. And every other drivetrain mod I could do.
How did that work out for you? I was under the impression the transmissions had different ratios in the gasser vs diesel transmissions?

Diesel_Zuk said:
How did that work out for you? I was under the impression the transmissions had different ratios in the gasser vs diesel transmissions?

V10 and CTD where the same.  The V10 truck even had the 241 dhd tcase. Instead of the lighter one in mine. Even used the same bell housing and clutch off the V10

Found a cheaaaap contractor topper and mounted it up. Made a tool box out of one side and an access into the camper from the other side. Added 3rd gen rims and mounted up some 285/70/17 nitto mts and they sound good. Also put a new radio in and 2 3.0 USB port instead of one of the cigarette lighter.  And am touring around Philadelphia with it this weekend.

PS
Turns out I had a bad ujoint from the trip to my place. So that's new too

Attachments

• KIMG3808.webp
    KIMG3808.webp
    52 KB · Views: 77
  • KIMG3807.webp
    KIMG3807.webp
    102.1 KB · Views: 81
  • KIMG3817.webp
    KIMG3817.webp
    220.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20190524-145240.webp
    Screenshot_20190524-145240.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 108
Well the frame plates came in the mail, so I just threw them on until the box tubing I ordered comes in.  :welder:

Attachments

• KIMG3897.webp
    KIMG3897.webp
    118.9 KB · Views: 83
  • KIMG3898.webp
    KIMG3898.webp
    117.4 KB · Views: 91

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom