Third members

Woody8201

Good afternoon fellas, new to the samurai world. So I have been doing some searches and haven?t really found the exact answers I?m looking for.  I bought a 87 samurai has a 92 tracker engine in it. The transfer case has the 6.5:1 gears and as far as the axles it has a tracker rear with the 5.12:1 gears and a locker. The front axle is stock and I was given 2 third members to which I am going to assume are stock gears with no lockers. which leads me to my main questions. 1st is there a way I can tell the gear ratio in the front without pulling it?
2nd if the front is indeed different ratio do I go with trying to find a third member that will work in the front with 512?s?
3rd and lastly if I go back to the stock set can I pull the locker out of the diff that has the 512?s and install into my stock sets.
by the way I am running 33x12.5x15. My plan is for it to be a trail/ drive rig. It will be mainly 45-55 mph. I really don?t plan on doing any massive amounts or rock climbing

Hummmmmm.
If whom ever built your samurai drivetrain, didn't put in the exact same gear ratio front and back.......things will go horribly wrong if / when you choose 4wd and lock the hubs. It *should* be safe to assume the front / back 3rds are the same ratio. If not.....you will know in a hurry  ;D

Before you start swapping 3rds........why not drive it as is.......at 55 mph for your intended allotted time on pavement, and see if you're happy with it.

If not.......you have some reconing to do.........

You will need to choose between pavement / 55 mph gears and optimum trail gears, as you prolly won't achieve both with that combo.......especially with those heavy boots.

Put your Zuk up on 4 jack stands. Put the tranny in neutral. Put a mark at 12 o'clock on a rear tire. Rotate your drive shaft 360 degrees and note where the mark is. Now lock the hubs on your front end and mark the tire at 12 o'clock once again. Rotate the drive shaft 360 degrees. Note where the mark is again. If they are in the same position your differentials have the same gears.  [thumbsup] 

I would say if you have 512 tracker gears it might have the hybrid rearend cause 512 won't work in a stock Sami rear out of tracker unless it has the entire axle under it ,was a tracker off set I can't recall if not it's a hybrid

I thought you could put 512 in it just had to come from frt.of tracker                here's my ? I have hybrid rear 512 and a front one from same sidekick that's not installed yet, when do I need the rear side gears ,if I recall is it only if I upgrade to stronger axles with more spines or do I need rear sides in front regardless

I have two front geared trackick gears with cans on a Sammi housings. The trackick will work but they were aluminum, Sammi diffs ain't.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom