The Facts about Swapping Kick gears

The ring gear spacer is relativly thin and is used to avoid threading the adjusting colar in max travel (5.125:1 ring gear is thinner).  I have heard of guys machining the spacer from left over Tracker / Kick carrier pieces.  Sorry but it is all I've got. 

In general, The spacer doesn't need to be exact it just needs to be flat.  You will adjust out the difference when you set the lash.  I'd say penny to nickle thick should work.  It has been a few years since I've played with them so my memory is now foggy.

BIGBADJMY said:
will a mini spool from a rear sami third go into a kicker third? ive got 512s iam planning on doing this tommorow

I would like to know that as well.

Also what is the wiring plugged into the rear third member I have?

this is the kit i purchased http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1231/.f?sc=2&category=96 ........is it a good kit ??? and do i have to get the kit for the pinion down at the bottom for like $24.95 Thanks Ryan

so if i am correctly proccessing the info i could get the front carrier out of a 96 kick and bolt it right up to the rear end of my sammi and go. is this right???

weeeee said:
so if i am correctly proccessing the info i could get the front carrier out of a 96 kick and bolt it right up to the rear end of my sammi and go. is this right???

Negative.  It will bolt right into the front but you have to change side gears to bolt it into the back.

And seriously, anyone know what the wiring is going to a rear 3rd from a tracker?

Whitfield said:
Translated:  I have a 1996 Front 3rd.   95 and older front 3rd works good in the Sammy rear with swapped side gears, But I have a 1996.   So When i installed it it was a direct fit and I did not need to swap the side gears.

Just kidding with ya.    Glad it worked out. 

I rember when my fingers couldn't type what I was trying to say,  Think it was only 3 or 4 posts back...

so this guy was wrong??

Marshall said:
I didn't think any of the Track/Kick fronts were 26 spline, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.  Some trackick front thirds do have stock 26 spline sidegears in them.  I actually have a 5.12 front diff with stock 26 spline sidegears for sale right now in a package deal.  PM me, if you are interested.

Marshall said:
Also what is the wiring plugged into the rear third member I have?

Rear antilock wiring. 
Unless you have (or will be running) a hybrid rear axle, a trackick rear third (or its gears) will not fit a samurai axle housing or third.

skyhiranger said:
You are wrong.  Some trackick front thirds do have stock 26 spline sidegears in them.  I actually have a 5.12 front diff with stock 26 spline sidegears for sale right now in a package deal.  PM me, if you are interested.

Rear antilock wiring. 
Unless you have (or will be running) a hybrid rear axle, a trackick rear third (or its gears) will not fit a samurai axle housing or third.

What me wrong??? ::)
Cool, didn't know that about the front tracker 3rds. 

I have a set of 4.62s ready to go as soon as I get a hybrid.  I'm not using the aluminum front either, I'm swaping the gears over to the steel samurai carrier.

Marshall said:
What me wrong??? ::)
Cool, didn't know that about the front tracker 3rds. 

I have a set of 4.62s ready to go as soon as I get a hybrid.  I'm not using the aluminum front either, I'm swaping the gears over to the steel samurai carrier.

Are you making your own hybrid rear, or having it made somewhere?
Steel front...good choice, especially if you are running a locker and/or bash rocks.

skyhiranger said:
Are you making your own hybrid rear, or having it made somewhere?
Steel front...good choice, especially if you are running a locker and/or bash rocks.

I think I will pick up a hybrid from Sky.  I do plan to lock the front.  My housings now are all smashed up but not leaking yet so I need to get some diff caps on.

so which kick's came with the 26 spline side gears? is it just all of them from 96 on? or are there certain models with them?

weeeee said:
so the front from a 96+ will be a direct bolt in for an 86 sammi???

96+ track / kick front into an 86 Sammy rear yes, direct swap, but the drive shaft flange will not match up.  Replace or redrill it.  96 front is an aluminium 2-gear spider assy (86-89 Sammy front & rear is 4-gear), not meant for low gears or lockers.  They work ok with 31's to 33's and open diffs.

Whitfield said:
96+ track / kick front into an 86 Sammy rear yes, direct swap, but the drive shaft flange will not match up.  Replace or redrill it.  96 front is an aluminium 2-gear spider assy (86-89 Sammy front & rear is 4-gear), not meant for low gears or lockers.  They work ok with 31's to 33's and open diffs.

thanks for the info. i am not to worried about the aluminum housing cause it will be a daily driven concrete pounder anyways. i have a stripped down tub and chassis i will be building for the dirt.

Great article, but...I don't think I am capable in installing these properly. Whitfield, I am in Danville, Va., if I could get you the thirds, locker, side gears, etc.. what would it cost to fix a set that I could install? Thanks. Hope it is not bad form to bring up such an old thread, but it is what I found in a search.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom