Suzuki Lj Design Principles??

ZOOK LJ

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Hi guys, My mate says that Lj's were Designed for Farm use and rual bush tracks, and exploring, NOT RECREATIONAL 4WDING????[/font]
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][ he has owns lj's for 30 years. he has owned heaps of them.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He said that the Suzuki sierra/samurai was Designed for Recreational 4wding that we all do now??[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Can anyone please explain??? [/font]
smile.gif
 just so I can get this clear.. :)

Actually, The LJs are as nicely-suited for offroading as SJs.  They are just a bit smaller...

The main problem with LJs - as I see it - are the engines.  They are small and difficult to maintain as most of them are 2-cycle units.  There is a Zuker named Smuz who has a nice LJ with a Samurai transmission and a 3-cylinder Suzuki Sprint (we call them Geo Metros) along with the usual suspension mods that does well on the trail.  There is a build thread here: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,30824.0.html

Check out http://www.lj10.com/.  It is the Internet go-to place for LJ-10 owners!

Also, HTML scripting in a forum post often does not work and makes the post hard to read.  Try using the tools at the top of the compose window to add effects/emphasis to your posts.  If you used "Copy Source" to duplicate an existing post here, next time, highlight the text and copy it (Control-C) then paste it into the new window with Control-V.  The process is slightly different with Macs...

Cheers!

The Suzuki LJ10, as originally designed, was intended as a utility vehicle rather than a recreational vehicle. The LJ10 and LJ20 was used a lot by Japanese utilty compnies for power line access roads in mountain terrain.

The LJ50 was an upgraded LJ20 with 3 cylinder s stroke with the same use.

In the LJ80 Suzuki made their first 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine, had a few more creature comforts, and began to enter the recreational 2wd market.

The SJ410 was their real enrty into the mass 4wd recreation market. That evolved into the Samurai.

So your friend was basically right.

Ack is right about the size, not so right about the engine, and wrong about the 3 cyl engine in my LJ10.
The little 2 cyl 2strokes only have 24-28 hp, but they're geared plenty low and run out of traction on a steep climb long before they run out of power. The top end, however, is only about 50mph at 6K rpm. Driving one on blacktop with your foot on the floor for 20 miles and the engine screaming can be a bit unsettling. ;D

The 3cyl Geo Metro engine in mine originally came from a Suzuki SWIFT. Geo Metros were rebaged Swifts. A Samurai trans and flywheel bolts right on, as it's a "G" block.

Prolly more than you really wanted to know...   :P

Smuz date=1401723729 said:
Ack is right about the size, not so right about the engine, and wrong about the 3 cyl engine in my LJ10.
The little 2 cyl 2strokes only have 24-28 hp, but they're geared plenty low and run out of traction on a steep climb long before they run out of power. The top end, however, is only about 50mph at 6K rpm. Driving one on blacktop with your foot on the floor for 20 miles and the engine screaming can be a bit unsettling. ;D

The 3cyl Geo Metro engine in mine originally came from a Suzuki SWIFT. Geo Metros were rebaged Swifts. A Samurai trans and flywheel bolts right on, as it's a "G" block.
Oh well, I was close.  The first letter in the name was right...  ::)

Less than two years and I'm retired, too....

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom