Speed Bleeders: The real one man brake bleed kit!

morganm

Spent I don't know how many hours and quarts of fluid doing the two man method.... hold pedal, loosen bleeder, and hope your friend closes it before the pedal hits the floor!  Yeah, I've tried the 'one man bleeder' kits before; the crappy plastic nipples, the bottles, and weak magnets to hold them.  Like most I'm not going to drop the money into a real nice pressure bleed system or have the time to make one from a fertalizer pump and spare parts.  All a thing of the past.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
They are rarely listed and often over looked at parts stores.  You may have to dig them out yourself or find a parts guy willing to do more than stare at the computer screen. 

For the Samurai you want SB#1010 for the front calipers.  This is a direct replacment for your stock bleeders.  Like I said; they are rarely listed by their SB part #.  Go by the size; M10x1 threads and 1.34 inches long.  Look on the back of the package to find out the specifications.  Sometimes it says on the front.  I usually find them in those red HELP! packages. 

Here's a really bad pic but you can see the shiney new gold speed bleeder replacing my old rusty stock one.  Right above that blury brake line
speedbleeder02.jpg

By now you're thinking; well thats great for the front calipers but what about my rear drums?!  You'll have to make some custom speed bleeders for that.  This little trick will work on almost any stock bleeder; depicted below is what I have done for my old Subaru and now my Samurai

Here you can see the tools needed and the package the bleeders came in. 
custom_speedbleeder01.jpg

I recomend using hose clamps at both ends!  I tried it with just the one end clamped to the stock bleeder.  The speed bleeder screwed into the hose tight but the pressure of the hydrolic brake system shot the speed bleeder out! LOL  Here's one I made with clamps at both ends.
brake_bleeders_006.jpg

I actually just leave them clamped on in the rear.  Here you can see them on my Subaru's rear calipers.  I offroaded the piss out of this thing; never lost one. 
brake_bleeders_07.jpg

Incase you didnt read the package; here's how you use them.  Crack open the bleeder just a quarter of a turn, pump the brakes freely about 5 times, then tighten it back up... its really that easy!  There's a check valve in the speed bleeder, fluid goes out and air can't come in.  Also don't forget to top off the master cylinder inbetween each slave cylinder; dont wanna have to bench bleed the MC whlie your at it now do you? :)

Enjoy!

Biggerhammer said:
Are you using the hose and clamps because the bleeder has the wrong thread pitch for the rear wheel cylinder's?

On my old Subaru; they were wrong thread pitch, diameter, and length.  On the Samrua, honestly, I didnt even check!  Maybe if I get some time in the garage this weekend I'll see if one of the front SB1010 bleeders fits in the rear.  Pretty sure I gotta bench bleed the MC and subsequently all the slave cylinders again anyway so whats a litte more air in the system  [smirk]

When I checked last they didn't make them for the Sammy rear.  The ones for the front are the same size as the ones for a Toyota caliper also.

The hose and clamps on the rear would be fine for the trails but I wouldn't run it on the street. If the clamp lets go you would be feeding crackie or worse!

ddement said:
The hose and clamps on the rear would be fine for the trails but I wouldn't run it on the street. If the clamp lets go you would be feeding crackie or worse!

I don't think you would be feeding your own "crackie"... But you would be feeding someone else's "crackie: real quick! Your "crackie" probably wouldn't have time to start the feeding frenzy.  :-X

Biggerhammer said:
I don't think you would be feeding your own "crackie"... But you would be feeding someone else's "crackie: real quick! Your "crackie" probably wouldn't have time to start the feeding frenzy.  :-X

When the brake pedal goes to the floor while I am trying to stop,  MY crackie is gonna have a buffet !  :o

ddement said:

It's just fine, street and trail.  If a clamp lets go and these pigtails fall off; you wouldnt even know untill the next time you look.  There would be NO adverse effect on braking or hydrolic pressure.  The hose clamps arent hold ANY pressure what so ever during normal operation.  You leave your stock bleeders CLOSED at all times.  There is no difference in leaving thse pig tails on vs stock bleeders during normal operation.  The ONLY time the pigtails are used are for bleeding brakes; when your stock bleeders are open a quarter turn.  When you are done bleeding you CLOSE the stock bleeders and its just like it was before anything was touched.

===============

This weekend I compared a stock rear drum bleeder to one of my front caliper speed bleeders; thread pitch is identical and length is VERY similar.  I threaded in a stock, rear drum, bleeder into my front caliper.  The stock rear bleeder in the front caliper screwed in fine and seated.  While I didnt actually thread a front speed bleeder into a rear drum slave cylinder; I would conclude however that the front speed bleeders would work in the rear. 

I'll have to pick up another set and verify.  This would nullify the pigtails I contstructed for the rear but only on a Samurai; they would still be necessary on other applications that have no replacement speed bleeders. 

That's a pretty versitle little invention you have made. I was going to buy 4 of those for my Pontiac at home until I realized that I could use one SpeedBleeder with the hose attached to it to bleed one wheel at a time. Then it could also be used on the Zuk as well!
Thanks for the pictures and tips!

87tintopzuk said:
That's a pretty versitle little invention you have made. I was going to buy 4 of those for my Pontiac at home until I realized that I could use one SpeedBleeder with the hose attached to it to bleed one wheel at a time. Then it could also be used on the Zuk as well!
Thanks for the pictures and tips!

Great, I'm glad this helps. 

Great idea man.  [thumbsup]  This will come in really handy when I got to put my longer brake lines on.

One question:  Is the hose only attached to little bleeder valve nipple?  With you hose on I assume you can still get to the stock bleeder valve hex head to turn it, or do you have to take the hose off and open it then put the hose back on?

it still is somewhat difficult to tell if bubble free fluid is flowing without someone to watch while you pump isnt it  ::)  :P  ??? ... lol  ;D

I got one of these, hope it works like it's supposed to : http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3378&mfrcode=APO&mfrpartnumber=T71658

morganm said:
This weekend I compared a stock rear drum bleeder to one of my front caliper speed bleeders; thread pitch is identical and length is VERY similar.  I threaded in a stock, rear drum, bleeder into my front caliper.  The stock rear bleeder in the front caliper screwed in fine and seated.  While I didnt actually thread a front speed bleeder into a rear drum slave cylinder; I would conclude however that the front speed bleeders would work in the rear. 

I'll have to pick up another set and verify.  This would nullify the pigtails I contstructed for the rear but only on a Samurai; they would still be necessary on other applications that have no replacement speed bleeders. 

So, have you verified this yet?

dabomb5756 said:
So, have you verified this yet?

OK, since noone responded, i figurerd i could help the zuk community! I went and bought 4 Speed Bleeders, from HELP!. Part Number 12706. Thread Size M10 x 1.0 with a 33mm overall length.

I know they will work in front becuase of this thread, i am going to try them in the rear drums tomorrow. Wish me luck!

BTW, i got them at Orelly Auto Parts for $12.84.

dabomb5756 said:
OK, since noone responded, i figurerd i could help the zuk community! I went and bought 4 Speed Bleeders, from HELP!. Part Number 12706. Thread Size M10 x 1.0 with a 33mm overall length.

I know they will work in front becuase of this thread, i am going to try them in the rear drums tomorrow. Wish me luck!

BTW, i got them at Orelly Auto Parts for $12.84.
FRONTS WORK IN FRONT CALIPERS, OR REAR DRUMS!  And they work great. I had my system COMPLETELY empty, and it took maybe 3 or 4 minutes to bleed all 4 corners.

You can order them online at

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=eadvsearch.asp&SearchType=Make

Part # RUS-639630

They are Russell brand and have the same m10 x 1.0 - 33mm measurements. $20 for all 4 bleeders.

Russell makes them in two length, with the right thread and pitch  639560  (3956)  and 639630 (3963)    The 56's are 35mm long, and the 63's are 33 mm long..  same applications as a 94 Cobra...  I think....

Ebay has them now and again too..

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom