So you rolled your sammi .... heres what to do

sammi_davis

The 1st thing to do is remember on your way over is to keep all of your appendages in your rig !
But this how to is not about the before the roll , but the after part .
DSC03489.JPG

The 1st thing to consider is how to get your sammi back on all four wheels . There are several ways to right your rig . The 1st is sheer manpower . It is as simple as it sounds ,get all of your buddies and lift the rig back over . This works fine for a flop but isnt so good for a full rollover . In the event of a full roll a winch cable or strap is the best way to go . If you use a winch make sure to throw an old towel over the line in case it breaks . The last way is to drive out of a roll . Sure it looks cool when the comp guys drive out of a flop , but they have sponsors to help out with all the carnage. So with this in mind its time to find a strap and pull your vehicle back on its side ,or your buddies if that method will work .
DSC03491.JPG

Once the strap or cable is secure slowly right the vehicle . Keep an eye on all of the participants to make sure they are clear of the area where the sammi is going to set back down .
DSC03493.JPG

At this point a little help will steady the sammi as it goes back down .
DSC03494.JPG

Once your sammi is on all fours take a good look around and underneath of it for damage .
DSC03495.JPG

Look beyond the obvious such as the windshield ... look for things like motor mounts , t case mounts , fluid leakage , bent wheels , and anything else that doesnt "look " right .
DSC03502.JPG

If you look closely you will see the motor mount seperated .
DSC03501.JPG

No cage equals a crushed targa and windshield .

And last but not least you stand a good chance of your rig not starting up after the roll . In the 3 cases we had in Moab this summer oil leaked into the cylinders and locked the motor up . The following steps will show you how to fix it .
DSC03497.JPG

First pull the wires . Take time to put them in order for when it all goes back together .
DSC03499.JPG

Here you can see the wires tucked back and in order
DSC03503.JPG

Next pull the plugs out . Here I had already broken them all loose and I was using the extenison to spin them out .
DSC03504.JPG

Inspect and clean the plugs ... one or more will be really nasty .Set them aside til later .
DSC03511.JPG

Have someone turn the motor over . This will blow the oil out of the cylinders and make one heck of a mess .
DSC03512.JPG

Reinstall the cleaned plugs taking care to put the plug wires back on in order .
DSC03514.JPG

Its time to start the sammi . It will smoke a good bit and this is normal . The smoke you are seeing is from the roll and it is simply burning off .

At this point we still had to fix the motor mount and the windshiled /Targa issue . The snpped rear axle wouldnt come out so Chip drove out with 1 axle pulling via the spool in the rear . The motor mount was unbolted and dropped back into place .
DSC03527.JPG

We removed the saftey glass and packed it away for the trip out .
DSC03518.JPG

DSC03520.JPG

DSC03521.JPG

Gary used his hi lift jack to lift the targa and the windshiled supports back up so Chip and Terry coud fit in the sammi . With this it was driveable and took a little over an hour from rollover to driving it again . We picked up all of the debris and put sand down on the few spots where oil hit the ground This roll taught me that we need to carry spillpacks for just this instance .

If this happens to you stay calm and let your frineds help out .. it will be a little overwhelming trust me on this . Have your friends keep an eye on you in case you have a concussion . If you feel anything other than normal seek medical help . Last but not least stay calm . Chip rolled with the flow and that made it easy on all of us to get him running again .
DSC03490.JPG

Beware of friends with cameras  ;D

Thanks to Geoff aka Zuks of Hazzard for the photos , Chip for staying cool , the wookie and Tusker for helping with righting the sammi and Gary for his hi lift mastery .

sammi_davis said:
Have someone turn the motor over . This will blow the oil out of the cylinders and make one heck of a mess .

when i rolled my sammy last time - http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,24017.0.html
we had to do this when we got the sammy back to the house, and i put a rag across the engine covering the spark plug holes, it didnt make much of a mess at all then, just soaked the rag

Awsome write up Greg. I would like to add one thing if it's ok, Make sure to lock the brakes and put the Zook in gear so it doesn't end up as a feature on Americas Funniest Videos!

Always have a fire extinguisher ready! Always!

Bullwinkle rolled at Shoe Creek earlier this year and gas went everywhere. BIG FIRE HAZZARD! Extreme care must be taken when rolling a vehicle leaking fuel back over. First thing is make sure the battery is secured properly. Don't make any moves that will cause sparks.  All it takes is a spark and BOOM! [nailbite]

ShoeCreekRun021305109Custom.jpg

ShoeCreekRun021305107Custom.jpg

Very Helpful information here!

I wouldn't have known about the spark plugs if I didn't see it for myself.

Maybe someone can get the video up of the engine Puking out oil?

I'm thankful that no one got hurt.

"I've got 2 of my best guys on it right now!"? ;D

How about some old towels or shop rags over the sparkplug holes so it doesn't blow oil all over the engine compartment and environment.  could be used to mop up spills on the rocks.      [idea]      Mel

Lift-Dr said:
How about some old towels or shop rags over the sparkplug holes so it doesn't blow oil all over the engine compartment and environment.  could be used to mop up spills on the rocks.      [idea]      Mel

If we had them it would have worked nice ......

Thats why I suggest a spill pak in one of the rigs in each trail ride from now on .

sammi_davis said:
If we had them it would have worked nice ......

Thats why I suggest a spill pak in one of the rigs in each trail ride from now on .

the spillpak is a good idea....I usually carry a BIG toolbox..prolly enuff room for one.
What is in a spillpak?

Matt 8)

My spill pack is a plastic container to catch drips , rags and cat litter . I am looking for some absorbent material that will suck up fluids too....

Someone commercially offers them but I havent seen them in a while anywhere.

why not go to sams club and buy a case of absorbant bed pads "underpads" like they use in the old folks home. they are basically like a diaper but only in a square pad. they absorb anything liquid and not to mention they store away easy and dont take up much space...

The reason i mention this is the company i work for makes them. our mechanics on the floor use them to clean up oil spills when doing PM work.

Jason

these arent really a depends....depends is basically an adult diaper....these are made just like a diaper but they look like an oil-dry pad. just square and normally they would go under the person lying in bed. not actually put on the person.

An issue we ran across this weekend was the spark plug area being filled with small rocks and mud.? Simply removing the plug would have dropped the junk into the engine.? Cleaning it out on the trail wasn't easy but was a necessity.? Plug socket wouldn't even fit down on 2 Tj 4.0l plugs for the small pebbles that had seated them selves in the plug well.

P8270250.jpg

P8270252.jpg

P8270253.jpg

And like SammyDavis said...? Note the firing order before stripping the wires off.? The more cyls the more complicated it gets.? ?+ People will be excited and not necessarily thinking clearly.? ?

Another thing is to wrap the strap OVER the rolled vehicle and hook as low/under as possible. This will help keep all the pulling force going towards uprighting it rather then dragging it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom