Shift Into First

RHWright

Hey.

Been a minute but the Suzuki has been running pretty good for almost a year.

Went out today and rode around with boys and on the way home it was progressively harder to get into first gear, to the point I broke some laws to stay in second and above to make it home. First gear was further and further up and to the left and the shifter was nearly hitting the dash. Shifts fine into other gears so don’t think it’s a tranny issue.

Was researching and heard about the 10mm locator bolt that seems to sheer off and was wondering if that is my issue? I will get the boot off tomorrow but wanted some initial opinions.

I may go ahead and get a stage 1 clutch too but just curious what you all think the issue is?

Here is some pics. The sheet had disintegrated and the locator bolt had sheered off. I decided to get a new shifter case too because there were deep grooves in the seat of it (first pic on the left of the case).
Today was nice! Was able to get in there. The locator bolt had sheered off. Already order the complete kit from LROR and replaced sheets too.

Thanks guys!

I took off all 4 10mm bolts connecting it to the tranny but cannot get it to budge even with a small pry bar. Any suggestions on getting it loose?

Attachments

• IMG_0804.webp
    IMG_0804.webp
    134.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0807.webp
    IMG_0807.webp
    367.3 KB · Views: 13
Here is some pics. The sheet had disintegrated and the locator bolt had sheered off. I decided to get a new shifter case too because there were deep grooves in the seat of it (first pic on the left of the case).

I took off all 4 10mm bolts connecting it to the tranny but cannot get it to budge even with a small pry bar. Any suggestions on getting it loose?
I put some PB Blaster on it and going to leave it over night. I still couldn't get it to budge. Its like it has JB Weld or something between the case and the tranny.

Alright. Just to button up this topic.

1. Couldn’t find first gear while driving. Shifter was up and to the left of where it should have been.

2. Diagnosed as a broken locator bolt in the shifter housing.

3. Ordered complete shifter repair kit from LROR and a new shifter and housing from SPUSA (much cheaper and it was the 12mm upgrade from 10mm)

4. Took it down, but couldn’t get the old housing to come off, so I applied some PB Blaster and let it sit. Still couldn’t get it off but realized I didn’t need the old housing and took a large pair of channel locks for grip and with a little force broke the housing free.

5. Had to remove the Shifter pins and springs to install in new housing. Was a bit of a pain but again delicately used the channel locks to compress one pin and remove the other pin. The larger pin has a steel ball that will fall out so don’t lose it.

6. Buttoned it all back together but now I have to get used to the much tighter shifter since I am used to the loosely goosey gear locations.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom