SCREW REMOVAL

Robzuk

I was stripping the guts out of my 88.5 today so I can send it to the paint shop and stumbled across an easy way to remove stuck screws.
You'll need a 3/8 drive ratchet, 6" extension and phillips head bits to fit on the extension. Buy a Craftsman or Snap-on, I busted a cheapo and almost mashed my finger and when you snap it off you can return it.
Start out by taking a soft faced hammer and tapping the bit into the screw so it's seated and you can put the most torque on it. I only had one that I had to use the impact driver on.
This works good for all of the interior bolts that hold the targa, roll bar and seatbelts in place. They are a real PITA to get out, probably the worst ones in the truck are the roll bar in.
ROB

I used another method I drilled a small hole in the edge of ech screw used a punch and hammer to get the first turns to beak loose the factory thread lock ( can you buy that suff?? damn i could use some lol) then i used the method withthe rachet and philips head to take them out. I then replaced all the screws with Stanless metric hex head ( looks trick and makes it easier to replace parts!

On the pretty ones that I don't want to bust up ;) (after the paint shop) I use a soidering iron to heat the factory lock tite, Then they just back out like normal...

For most of the stubborn zook screws, I've found that a pencil/micro butane torch makes short order of them. Seems like the heat softens the OEM thread locker and makes removal pretty easy.... Now ask how many screws it took to figure that out...LOL!
If that fails, I use the several methods previously mentioned......

Crow Horse said:
For most of the stubborn zook screws, I've found that a pencil/micro butane torch makes short order of them. Seems like the heat softens the OEM thread locker and makes removal pretty easy.... Now ask how many screws it took to figure that out...LOL!
If that fails, I use the several methods previously mentioned......
Crow,
It took me 17 Samurais to figure that out, you'd think a Ph.D. would be smarter than that !! ???
ROB

Whats even worse is when bolt heads start to strip. I see that alot due to salt water corrosion in the marine bunsiness. Fortunately for that situation Snap on makes a set of sockets that have a rounded design in them and they make stripped heads a breeze. For 300+ bones for a set of about 10 sockets I'd be pissed if they didnt.

If the heads are really boogered up. Take a grinder and gently cut a groove into the head of the bolt. this can be done carefully so as not to mess up the paint or body. then use a large flat screwdriver or flat chisel. I did this with most of mine and replaced them with stainless steel. Jim

I really easy and quick way to get screws out such as the ones that hold the door hinges to the body, Is to take a cold chisel and small hammer and place the edge of the chisel on the edge og the head of the bolt, then tap it to tap the screw around. That is what idid to the factory bolts when i had to replace my windsheild frame and supports at my work during my hour lunch break....worked great and was very quick, if only i could get the squiter hose to hook back up!

Came back to this thread to see if I missed anything, and I'll be trying the heating method. Either by torch, or soldering iron. I have run into some nasty mean screws on the new Blue Mule, that I just purchased.  If these methods fail, then it's back to the good 'ole 1/8" drill bit.  ;D I really hope that I don't have to drag out the drill. It's such a PITA to have to drill, then easy out umpteen screws for the windshield frame. Not to mention that I don't have the heat going in my garage yet.  :(

try an impact driver thingy....dont know what its called, but  it has a socket wrench end and every time you hit it, it turns the socket end....this prevents from stripping out any screws because it drives the force into all the threads of the bolt instead of on the head

heres a pic of the tool i used

screw_removal_tool.jpg

going back to the dude who used stainless hex heads.. where can u get them? what should i look for? i'm in australia and all the auto shops ive tried only have phillips head screws  :(

going back to the dude who used stainless hex heads.. where can u get them? what should i look for? i'm in australia and all the auto shops ive tried only have phillips head screws 

G-Day!  Wow the board has become truly international!

They are pretty easy to find over here.  I have purchased stainless steel hex heads from our local hardware store, and I know Home Depot also has them

Probably not something you would find in an auto shop

I got them at a fastener store (sampson fastener in  Hampstead, NH) hardware store have a hit or miss selection I was just lucky at the time to have a distributer that sold to the public down the street

cam said:
going back to the dude who used stainless hex heads.. where can u get them? what should i look for? i'm in australia and all the auto shops ive tried only have phillips head screws? :(

You should be able to source the stainless screws or  bolts  from a Marine / Boating shop. 

Well I got stripping out one of my '88.5 Zukis tonight and tried the impact driver......gave up on that idea after I dented the doors around the hinges.  I finally just started drilling off the heads and I will replace them with stainless bolts when I get reassembling the Zuki.

Zippy

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom