samurai speedo gear removal (transfercase)

westcoaster

Edit July 1/17 due to Photobucket changing it's terms of use and wanting $400 a year to host photos....
They can go pound sand up their *** for that kind of money....

So, your speedo has stopped working and you have determined that the speedo gear is faulty. (tab is broken)

You wander off to your trusty factory service manual and see the guy removing the speedo gear with a pair of pliers. Now, that SOB is working on a snazzy NEW transfer case, not one that has been sitting under a samurai for the last twenty years.

Here is how I made my puller.

xfercase008(1).webp

I started off with a carriage bolt and ground down the head to fit down the speedometer cable hole.

I then drilled a hole through the end of the bolt.

xfercase007.webp

I then scrounged through my parts drawer to find a hardened steel pin that would fit through the bolt hole for the 10mm retaining bolt  (that secures the speedometer cable to the transfer case). I then ground the length down so it would be a little longer than the diameter of the speedometer gear hole. This makes the large carriage bolt grab on to the cylinder via the already present retaining hole and miss the transfer case housing.

xfercase009.webp

place the bolt head in the gear hole and poke the pin in through the bolt hole for the 10mm retaining bolt using a small screw driver.

xfercase010.webp

I then hung a trailer spring on the bolt  and threaded on a nut and washer.

xfercase011.webp

The spring was simply there to give me something to hit with the hammer....

A couple whallops with the hammer later.....

xfercase013.webp

genious!  [idea]

I'm sure I'll be needing to do this soon.

Is is possible to do this with the case still installed or does it have to be removed?

Bingo Jed said:
genious!  [idea]

I'm sure I'll be needing to do this soon.

Is is possible to do this with the case still installed or does it have to be removed?

According to the factory service manual, the speedo gear can be removed with the transfer case still in the vehicle.

The only "problem" I can see with my puller is that it may not work on functioning speedo gears with out cutting a notch in the head to clear the tab that drives the speedo cable....

westcoaster said:
The only "problem" I can see with my puller is that it may not work on functioning speedo gears with out cutting a notch in the head to clear the tab that drives the speedo cable....

...and your pin would fall out. ;D

Surly said:
...and your pin would fall out. ;D

Just got to keep the pressure on it.... ;)

on another note, I was about to attempt the puller on the tcase that was in the samurai. I pulled the retainer bolt and started tugging on the speedo cable. I'll be darned if the gear didn't simply pop right out with the speedo cable still attached.

westcoaster date=1222037979 said:

I realize this is an old old thread, not sure if the OP is even still hanging around.  But if  he is may I say a big THANK YOU SIR!!!

His idea on the little puller really saved my bacon on getting the speedometer sleeve and gear out.  

I cut the head off a 5/8" bolt which turned out to be the perfect size,  and I drilled a .180 hole through the end similar to what he shows.

His  post, quoted above about the drive tab being too tall,  and thus in the way is in fact a problem.   The tab sticks up higher in the bore than the retainer bolt hole.   As he mentioned, it can be resolved it by cutting a 3/8" or so deep notch in the end of the 5/8" bolt with an abrasive wheel and this notch then fits over the tab.  I did that and then I only drilled through on one side of the notch.   I ground a little bolt down to .175 dia and cut and ground it to about .375 long to use as the connecting pin.

Put it together like he says by pushing the pin through the retainer bolt hole, through the 1/2 of the 5/8" bolt and it bottoms out on the side of the drive tab.  I adapted the threaded end of the 5/8" bolt to my slidehammer and 3 or 4 hits and it popped out.  Probably the first time since 1987.

texas87sami date=1405440709 said:
I realize this is an old old thread, not sure if the OP is even still hanging around.  But if  he is may I say a big THANK YOU SIR!!!

Your Welcome!

Still hanging around... Still have the samurai...

Glad you found this useful and were able to adapt it to your situation. That is what makes it worth the effort to do a wright up...

Hmmmm... My gear is stuck and it has no hole for a pin. It's just solid tab that the speedo has a C that fits over.

Is mine different? 94 t case

[member=20118]WarTowels[/member]? 

I used Channelocks on the outer lip of the housing and was able to work it loose.

Hope this helps

So far I've tried 3 days of PB Blastering and Vice Grips and so far all I've achieved is crunching up the metal.

JG suggested using a 5/8" chisel, which apparently you smash into the hole and then try and use that to twist/pull it out.

Other thought I had was maybe drilling a hole (seems like there's enough on the lip) which I could then insert a steel rod into and then use that to pull on the whole unit easier... doesn't seem like that would effect the overall functionality / could fill in the holes after.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 5.26.29 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 5.26.29 PM.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 362
I think the OPs post is still valid, I think the pin he is using is just big/long/small enough to grab onto the housing but miss the tcase housing

Attachments

• AA5C0399-6A88-474B-885D-B2C4E3E75B4C.webp
    AA5C0399-6A88-474B-885D-B2C4E3E75B4C.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 258
Seems the hole is in the bullet which retains the gear.

Is your screw that secures the bullet snapped off down in there?

http://www.suzukisamuraiowners20.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199

Zuki4x4, Aids10  - thank you.

I totally misunderstood what they were doing. I thought the pin slotted into a hole on the piece that spins for the speedo,  and then you pulled it out from that. Now I see instead, it's using the hole for that 10mm retaining bolt and just grabbing on to the cylinder via the already present hole. Neat. I can replicate that now that I get it.

Thanks!

WarTowels said:
Zuki4x4, Aids10  - thank you.

I totally misunderstood what they were doing. I thought the pin slotted into a hole on the piece that spins for the speedo,  and then you pulled it out from that. Now I see instead, it's using the hole for that 10mm retaining bolt and just grabbing on to the cylinder via the already present hole. Neat. I can replicate that now that I get it.

Thanks!

I have shamelessly borrowed some of your verbiage in this post and modified my original how to, to hopefully make the instructions clearer.

Thanks,

Looks like the post got lost, but the welding did the trick.

I had a giant stake/nail that i got to fit just inside the cylinder, then put two little welds on it, welded a little tab at the end of the stake to hit and came out easy peasy after that. I had spent about two hours fiddling with the pin and bolt gadget with no luck, so I'd say the weld method is a great alternative, especially if you intend to get a new cylinder, but even if you plan to reuse a little grinding and it was good to go again... had the thing out in under a half-hour.

Cheers~

Struggle with the removal under the car till my trusty blow lamp heated the gearbox case just a bit and out the bullet came with my small grips. Happy days off to the bar now to test it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom