Samurai Mini Spool Installation

I got tired of seeing my mini spool sitting there lookin lonely, so i decided to install it today. After a few cold beers, i tore into it. The hardest part was getting the axle shafts out haha. They wanted to be a PITA, but a little persuasion with the lil' sledge got em out! All in all it took me about 4 hours to do this with a lunch break and some cussing along the way. Im of average mechanical ability, so if i can do this by myself, i know you can! dont be skeered! haha

how does the spool affect in on the street i use my sammy as dd but a friend of mine has a spool i could probably talk him out of would it ruin it on the road?

Errol said:
how does the spool affect in on the street i use my sammy as dd but a friend of mine has a spool i could probably talk him out of would it ruin it on the road?

A spool locks both rear axles......meaning they will turn at the same revolution all of the time. When making a turn on  pavement your rear tire might chirp, but it will be nothing major. I hade a full spool in Fletch with toyota axles and loved it. As light as Zuk's are I don't think you will see any tire ware.

David

i broke 2 spools from trail tough. im running 5.12 gears 33/14. 1/4 tread boggers holdin 7k rpms through mudholes. trail tough will warranty them up to 90 days of purchase. i got sick of sending them back so i welded a set and haven't had a problem yet

I got my TT spools in and installed them. No biggy. Easy install. I don't trust the method of just marking the side bearing adjusters and go with the measure method. Anyway there is a huge difference on the street over the Lockrights. I thought there wouldn't be because when under power the lockrights are locked and I seldom just coast through the corners. I was dead wrong. There is a ton of load on the street in any kind of turn. My turning radius was cut down by an easy 10 ft. My tires aren't chirping but leaving long rubber burnouts on tight turns. If I am coasting on a gradual grade and turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn the car stops. I can this hurting the fuel economy drastically on my DD. It is really predictable though and tight. I like that and will suffer with a huge amount of tire wear and gas mileage till I can afford to go ARB, which may be never. I will defiantly be driving it less on the street now.

as long as you dont mess with the pinion preload or depth(whatever u want to call it) theres no reason NOT to trust the mark and measure method. everything goes back together just as it came out. All the tolerances are the same as before...i did mine this way and it works perfectly.

X-jeeper said:
as long as you dont mess with the pinion preload or depth(whatever u want to call it) theres no reason NOT to trust the mark and measure method. everything goes back together just as it came out. All the tolerances are the same as before...i did mine this way and it works perfectly.
True but I measured mine before I took it out and it was out of tolerance so it needed to be adjusted. I ended up having to turn both adjusters by one hole..

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom