samurai a/c in a 1.9 aaz

Bubbazuk

Does anybody know anything about installing a samurai a/c in a 1.9 aaz I'm using the acme kit and maybe thinking about getting the rocky road a/c kit and is there a diagram for the a/c system to show where the orings are because I want to replace them all, i wouldn't even put the a/c in but I live in florida where the airflow is like a oven blast and this is going to be a dd.  The engine is in the shop getting a new modded d snout crank thanks :bluesamf:

The easiest way to run AC in your Samurai with a 1.9TD or 1.9TDI is to use your stock condensor, dryer and an aftermarket 4 seasons brand compressor. You have to have lines made-up for the high pressure and low pressure sides which any AC shop can do for you. You want to use this specific aftermarket compressor using these specific fittings so you can lay the lines down flat under the hood easily and clear everything.

Having AC in a Samurai requires using the stock AC fan as your regular cooling fan because there is no room for two fans front and back because of the radiator you need. The best radiator to use with AC is a V8 Mustang 3 or 4 core radiator as it is the same approximate size as your condensor and fan set-up and is a simple modification to mount with the AC stuff in front. You will have to have the coolant pipes modified to the drivers side to work for your diesel since Ford made them for their application.

Find a 1.6 Diesel Alternator Bracket that DID NOT use AC and you can use that as your mount to hold the AC Compressor up top. It will bolt up to your block. Cut off the lower portion of the bracket that is in the way of hoses and frame stuff at the bottom. You will need to weld an adapter between the compressors mounting tabs and the 1.6 bracket tabs and then make an adjuster. Run your AC compressor off of your water pump pulley with an additional pulley on the same bolt pattern.

Its expensive to do it right especially if your 30 year old components have failed or are failing. Make sure all your O-rings are replaced (wherever there is a fitting in the AC line, thats the location of the o-ring) along with your dryer before you go through the trouble. CLEAN ALL your tubing with a cleaner and blow out with an Air Compressor and absolutely make sure no metal particles are present from your old compressor. Add new PAG oil. Put a vacuum on your system and then recharge with 24 ounces of freon after it holds vacuum for the appropriate time.

Suggestions: don't use a used compressor. Be prepared for a lot of time to get it right so that its durable. Samurai AC systems are not that great at cooling because the condensors are too small. If you want to really have it cool better, use a larger condensor and do the necessary modifications to get it to fit in there.

Attachments

• IMG_3076.webp
    IMG_3076.webp
    178.8 KB · Views: 153
  • AirPower2.webp
    AirPower2.webp
    83.5 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for writing me back I've been busy at work so I forgot about my post. So the acme adapter radiator  kit wont work with the a/c i was planning on using the stock a/c compressor but you said that's not a good idea I'm in Florida so I definitely need a/c this is my first engine swap so I'm taking my time to do it right oh and I'm not running power steering if that makes a difference

My bad, I shouldn't have assumed you have power steering. All my AC set-ups have been used with sidekick/tracker power steering.

So, if you don't have power steering, then you can continue to use the ACME radiator kit with the dual fans in addition to your stock Samurai AC set-up up front. However, you will need to modify the length and angle of your condenser hard lines to clear the longer radiator. Again any A/C shop can do that for you. Then just make up your high/low pressure lines from those two adjusted points to the aftermarket compressor.

The 4 Season pressure line mounts are low because they come off the compressor from a horizontal mounting position. If you really want to use your original Samurai compressor, feel free to do that. BUT you will have to get the end of your hoses aluminum welded at angles that will fit under your Samurai hood. It takes some work to do that and you will incur more expense in creating the angles by a fabricator than buying the compressor...at least that's been my experience. You might get lucky and find some 4 season compressor style manifold mounts that you could bolt on your old compressor.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom