Rear drums

bunruh

I started to replace the drums on the rear today and bought all the pieces that I thought I needed from Rockauto. Got everything ready to go back together and removed the old studs out of the drum, but the new drums have larger holes for the studs. They also don't have stops built in, so I am guessing I'm going to need some serrated studs to go with the new drums. The new holes are 12.5mm roughly. I think I need these studs. Has anyone else run across this? How did you end up doing these? Did anyone find drums that had stops in them?

Attachments

• old drums.webp
    old drums.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • new drums.webp
    new drums.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
I started to replace the drums on the rear today and bought all the pieces that I thought I needed from Rockauto. Got everything ready to go back together and removed the old studs out of the drum, but the new drums have larger holes for the studs. They also don't have stops built in, so I am guessing I'm going to need some serrated studs to go with the new drums. The new holes are 12.5mm roughly. I think I need these studs. Has anyone else run across this? How did you end up doing these? Did anyone find drums that had stops in them?
Can you just get those turned? The Zuke drums are thick. Jim

Can you just get those turned? The Zuke drums are thick. Jim
I'll try to give that a shot considering I would like to keep the stops that the OEM has to keep the studs from turning. I don't think the drums have ever been turned down, so I will see what a shop can do.

X2 on the knurled studs. I once spent a night drilling every stud out of a samurai. The nuts were rusted on the studs, which turned past the don't stops. Ground those things off, replaced with knurled studs, and never had another issue. YMMV.

Well I think since I already have the new drums, depending on how much it cost to get the old ones turned down, I might just buy some knurled studs and put them in the new rotors. They are only like $25 and then I have a backup of either depending on whichever I want to use at that point.

Sounds like a very workable plan and will serve as a guidance for others that follow in your footsteps.

As parts become more scarce or extremely expensive, other options or adaptations must be taken. Sites such as this one become more important.

Without people like @beekiller we would be struggling even more.

Ray

I'm still looking for an "affordable" rear disc upgrade with an emergency brake using the existing E-Brake handle.

Sounds like a very workable plan and will serve as a guidance for others that follow in your footsteps.

As parts become more scarce or extremely expensive, other options or adaptations must be taken. Sites such as this one become more important.

Without people like @beekiller we would be struggling even more.

Ray

Ray, I appreciate the props. I try to keep the lights on here, people have contributed so much knowledge over the years it would be a shame to let it go.

I'm still looking for an "affordable" rear disc upgrade with an emergency brake using the existing E-Brake handle.
I don't know about affordable......and I'm sure it's been shot down and or already tried.......BUT......the 1995 Mustang GT has rear disc with ebrake and the handle was in the same location as the Sam. It's a small caliper 1 piston but having had a 95 GT 5.0 I can tell you it stopped very well.

Maybe modify the Sam conversion disc bracket to work with the GT calipers.......Or I think the Cobra rear calipers for that same year are bigger....,,,,

Tim

I don't know about affordable......and I'm sure it's been shot down and or already tried.......BUT......the 1995 Mustang GT has rear disc with ebrake and the handle was in the same location as the Sam. It's a small caliper 1 piston but having had a 95 GT 5.0 I can tell you it stopped very well.

Maybe modify the Sam conversion disc bracket to work with the GT calipers.......Or I think the Cobra rear calipers for that same year are bigger....,,,,

Tim
Well that's a new one. The kit I saw was from overseas and used a Mitsubishi caliper. The kit + shipping was Expen$ive and you still had to source the caliper and pads.

Well that's a new one. The kit I saw was from overseas and used a Mitsubishi caliper. The kit + shipping was Expen$ive and you still had to source the caliper and pads.
None of the kits I've looked at have an ebrake provision. Most talk about a T-case drum brake off a 410 ? Ford used them for a while on their pickup's.

Also the brake proportioning on the Sam will not work right the rear disc so the old system will need to be reworked and new valve added. Maybe new master too. Most drum masters have a residual pressure valve built into them to keep some pressure on the drum brakes. The will not work on disc's they will frag and burn down......

Tim

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom