Really??

AHU, 1Z, AAZ, & 1.6TD engine cores are getting tougher to find, and ALH & newer are not an easy fit into a Samurai... That's part of the reason.  Lots of people on the Suzuki Diesel Facebook group but not as much activity there these days even. Lots on the TDI Swapped Trucks fb group, mostly Toyotas and Jeeps, a few Samurai swaps.

An SPOA Samurai on YJ/RUF or YJ leafs on all 4 corners with built Suzuki axles with a Low Range Off Road Align-Correct half high steer kit and a clocked engine installation with a Sidekick 4wd transmission or 1995 & older  Toyota 4 cylinder 22R/22RE/20R 5 speed 4wd transmission is a pretty viable way to swap a mild ALH into a Samurai. The Toyota transmissions can hold a lot more power than the Suzuki transmissions.

A full high steer kit makes it a really bad fit and a major struggle to swap an ALH or newer VW TDI if you want to keep your fenders and headlights in somewhat stock locations and heater box and firewall as well...

Toyota axles have no off the shelf half high steer kits available, so that nixes a Toyota axle Samurai from any easy swap of an ALH or newer TDI. I'm determined to make my Toyota axled Samurai swap work, but that's also a huge reason why it's been sitting in pieces for nearly 4 years! Because it's a massive undertaking with lots of custom fab involved to fit an ALH into a Samurai with Toyota axles...

Suzuki Dude's latest upgrade was an ALH into his 1.6 Sidekick in place of the old AHU TDI. With some custom TIG welding and fab on the oil pan and clocking the engine and transmission 12.5 or 15?, he said it maybe fits even better than the AHU! IFS Sidekick Trackers have less to worry about with the clearance since clearance doesn't equal available suspension travel.

westcoaster said:
Last post in this section was on January 28

It's now March 25......

Where did all the diesel guys go?
Driving to work and back 6 days a week. Changed the oil yesterday after 6 months. It just works. I'd like to put a new clutch in it but haven't seen one I like yet. Until then, nothing to do.

My poor little Samurai is sitting in a corner of the garage. Hasn't been on the road since 2018.

It needs cooling and steering correction (bump steer) probably some slightly larger tires as well....

I've been dealing with 10 hour days at work and a record breaking winter. I now owe 1900 bucks just for snow removal. I just got done getting my truck extracted by the Utah offroad recovery team. In. My. Driveway.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Winter has sucked donkey balls this year.

I'll weigh in here. After a near miss on a project some years back (Tintop and AHU with Toyota Axles), I have fallen for another Suzuki which I intend to make into a small pickup. Now that I have a widget I can measure again in the back yard, I am looking into the ALH swap.  Since I want to keep this pretty mild, I am considering how to fit this in given the location of the oil pump. With a RUF (rears leaf springs up front) the axle moves forward about 1-1/2 inches which may help so I am considering that.

Not having a ALH sitting around to measure, does anyone here on the boards know the dimensions of the oil pan for an ALH? Ideally the measurement from the engine end where the transmission normally bolts up to the far end of the oil pan (for clearance). I am guessing the main crank pulley then steps up a bit and then protrudes a bit more so that secondary (overall engine dimension) would help.

My hope is that clocking the engine around 11 degrees (as mentioned above) and moving the axle a bit will help stuff things in. I realize this will require some custom motor mounts and possible clearance issues with the hood but I'll do my best to share what I learn.

Seems there are plenty of ALH donors floating around and with the immobilizer delete, the electronics become pretty straightforward.

Myself also, having moved further north in BC, out in the country. But my Shop needs electric panel and wiring done, plus a cement floor poured. My 'Little Rig' needs a new head. I'll be pulling it off soon enough, and getting somewhat organized as I need it running. Health comes first, budget, next, then vehicles. The old Ford, pickup has been pulling it's weight now for ongoing 53 years, and needs a new body soon. Rusting to the ground... I'll be driving my 'Little Rig', while the Big Rig' gets some attention. I'll get the 1.6 td going hopefully as it lost compression in all cylinders and make a thread on it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom