Picked up an LJ20V

erik the red

Ok....finally in the game!! This showed up in my driveway yesterday; a 1972 Suzuki LJ20V.
SSPX1888.jpg
SSPX1891.jpg
SSPX1903.jpg

It's got some serious rust in the driver's rocker panel
SSPX1895.jpg

and both fender flares are rusty as well.
SSPX1899.jpg

SSPX1892.jpg

The inside tub needs to be cleaned and evaluated for rust...
SSPX1953.jpg

SSPX1919.jpg

some there for sure but not sure quite how badly rusted through. Battery "compartment" is completely rusted through. Currently the battery is wired up in a box under the passenger seat. (RHD)

SSPX1918.jpg

Someone in Alaska owned it, and put on a STOUT homebrew Dozer bumper cut to fit. Suspension looks rough...springs have negative curve. It isn't currently running....PO was uninformed about the oil injection system and fed the motor mixed gas. Probably fouled the plugs, not to mention goobered up the carb. Came with a box O' spare parts....water pump, carb, radiator and most of an engine rebuild kit. Got a screamin' deal on it, AND the PO loaded it up on a trailer and dropped the LJ off in my driveway!!!! 

SSPX1977.jpg
SSPX1973.jpg

Lookin' forward to a resto. project with the kids! Let me know what you think. Any tips/advice with the body and engine work are much appreciated, and I am super stoked to finally be a part of the LJ craze! 

How is the restore coming? Also wondering, are the inner rear fenderwells available anywhere to purchase?

lhess date=1360347225 said:
How is the restore coming? Also wondering, are the inner rear fenderwells available anywhere to purchase?

Things are going well, thanks for asking. Currently she's in the garage on stands; the axles are out and prepped for a knuckle rebuild. I have swapped in a set of Samurai springs and TT shackles. The turn signal assembly was broken, so I swapped in another one. I've sanded down and painted the gas tank as well as removed the door and interior paneling to prepare for a new piece of glass (only 1 of 2 NOS pieces of glass for LJ20's left in the world!!!!) Next up, re-install the gas tank and figure out if I am getting fuel to the carb. Gettin' close to actually firing her up for the first time in several years.

As for fenderwells...I highly doubt that any are available anymore unless you buy a parts rig. Once I get her running, I plan on having someone cut and weld new fenders and a new floor.

Attachments

• SSPX1995.webp
    SSPX1995.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,485
  • SSPX2038.webp
    SSPX2038.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,503
  • IMG_0593.webp
    IMG_0593.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,478
Been a while since I've had a chance to work on her. Finally got around to pulling out the engine to take a look at it. Wow are these things tiny! 

I've got some carbon and oil to clean off the pistons.

Attachments

• LJ 025.webp
    LJ 025.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • LJ 026.webp
    LJ 026.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,052
  • LJ 027.webp
    LJ 027.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 995
Here is the engine bay feeling spacious :P
I pulled the engine initially to look at the transmission. I had a hunch that the previous owner did not assemble the transmission correctly by making sure that the transmission input shaft oil seal was in place. (It wasn't). Glad I looked! While it's out I may as well clean her up and install new gaskets.

Starting the knuckle rebuild at the same time...Got the inner axle oil seal and kingpin bearing races installed. Those were a bit of a pain, but not TOO bad.

Attachments

• LJ 035.webp
    LJ 035.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 990
  • LJ 038.webp
    LJ 038.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,040
Thanks guys. Switching gears while waiting for king pin shims. Worked on the cylinder head..cleaned both up and swapped the cleaner one in.
Moved to the cylinder block and cleaned the surfaces. Next was the water pump assembly.  Picked the best looking one and cleaned, added a new gasket and reassembled. Also threw a coat of paint on the pulley.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 921
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 874
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    30.8 KB · Views: 918
Carb and reed valves cleaned, new gaskets applied and bolted back up.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 880
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 875
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 948

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Top Bottom