Overhead CB Mount

MuddyBuddy

I thought I'd post a write-up on building an overhead CB mount.? All I used was a length of 1/4" thick x 4" wide aluminum and two pieces of 2x2x1/4" aluminum angle cut to about 1.5" long.?

I bolted mine to the factory windshield frame supports using one 1/4" bolt on each end.? Clamp the piece in place and drill through the alum bar and round windshield supports at one time with a 1/4" drill bit.? Otherwise it's difficult to drill through a round, thin tube without the drill bit walking on you.

CB6.jpg

CB2.jpg

Mock up the placement of the CB radio and mark where to attach the alum angle pieces.? Remove all the pieces and drill and countersink the long alum bar for a 1/4" flat head screw.? Drill and tap the alum angle for the same screw.? You could drill through both pieces and use a nut, but I wanted a cleaner look.? Drill a clearance hole for the screws that mount to the side of the CB.? Mine were 6mm, so a 1/4" clearance hole was perfect.?

CB3.jpg

Mount the angle pieces to the main alum bar.? Mount the CB to the alum angle pieces.? Mount the whole assembly to the windshield supports and run your wiring.? One thing that was a must for me was to be able to quickly remove the entire CB radio, so all my wiring is plug and go, rather than hard wired.? I mounted the radio as close to the windshield as I could and used a 90? adapter for the antenna wire to help reduce the amount of clearance needed.

CB4.jpg

One thing to do before mounting is deburr all the mounting pieces completely.? I used an angle grinder with sanding disc's to round off all the edges of the long alum bar.? This prevents it from rubbing through the soft top and it doesn't show through the top as much when looking from the outside.? You can also use a wood router to radius all the edges, I just don't have one.

I also made this nice antenna mount from aluminum to bolt to the factory spare tire mounting holes.? It's also removable with just two screws or just remove the antenna only.

CB5.jpg

I like the clean and simple aspect of this mount.? It only took about two hours to build and it was free (scrap material from work).? You could do the same setup with steel or even wood.? It was even strong enough to survive a full sideways roll unharmed and even unscratched (can't say that about my windshield and frame).

Dave

That looks sweet.  A forethought.  I was at Gonzuki this past fall.  I watched a guy lay his rig over on it's side.  He ended up gashing his head open on his overhead mounted cb.  Again looks sweet.  Jim

hey to all.....when i still had my zuk ( g8rzuk green ) i just took 2 stock header bars and mounted them in the middle about 8 inches or so apart....my cb bolted to that and gave it a cage look when the top was off.. just mount it from the windshield to the targa just like the factory ones are...

g8rzuk

i did this same mod.  works purdy sweet. i wedge the mic between the mount and the roof and im in no danger of bein knocked out by it.  [blacksamside]​

g8rzuk said:
hey to all.....when i still had my zuk ( g8rzuk green ) i just took 2 stock header bars and mounted them in the middle about 8 inches or so apart....my cb bolted to that and gave it a cage look when the top was off.. just mount it from the windshield to the targa just like the factory ones are...

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?g8rzuk
    Hey man....Why don't you upgrade your profile?  Got pics for ya.  Jim

it's an old post from 2004

Might have got deleted with the old gallery. Pm the guy see if he still is on the board and has the pics that he can repost them.

HTH
Steve

I've been toying with doing a high mount CB too, but am concerned about having another hard thing overhead to hit hit my head on.  So I'm thinking of making a sling-type mount out of nylon straps stretched between the round windshield support bars.  In theory it could reduce the amount of road vibration going into the CB, too.

Pics if I ever get around to it.

D

i love the location this is wut im planning on doing when i get a cb. but i was thinking about the antenna on the side but that is a pretty cool spot 2

bims most wanted said:
whats the length of the shortest antenna or are all antenna the same length?

12" is probably the shortest.  48" is probably the most common.  I've seen some looooong whips too.  The antenna length is not important.  What's important is how much is exposed ontop of your truck.  If the antenna is hidden by the walls of your truck, you won't receive a good signal.  You want the signal to be able to bounce off the roof (or even the hood) and hit the antenna.

MuddyBuddy said:
12" is probably the shortest. 48" is probably the most common. I've seen some looooong whips too. The antenna length is not important. What's important is how much is exposed ontop of your truck. If the antenna is hidden by the walls of your truck, you won't receive a good signal. You want the signal to be able to bounce off the roof (or even the hood) and hit the antenna.

the length and type of antenna is very important, the best for zuks is a 4' firestick or something along those lines, mounted to the rear and as high as you can get it.

don

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom