my dual transfercase buildup

samilitant said:
If you'll still be using the divorced sammy t-case, will you have a problem with the intermediate shaft since the sammy t-case will be boucing around more so than the kick t-case??? I would think that could be a very bad thing since there is no slip or movement allowed there w/o the 2 u-joints of the stock intermediate shaft.? ?Also is it ok to use a kick 5 speed manual tranny?? Also could you drive the car on the street after doing this, or high range only go to 40mph with say 35-36" tires?

sorry, it's been awhile since I visited the site. to answer a few questions:

the intermedieate shaft should be alright as long as the sammi case is braced or married to the kick tranny/case. I actually decided to keep the original short intermediate shaft (with the two ujoints and 'shorty' shaft.) and keep the t'case divorced. I've already run this set up with a 5spd kick tranny on my previous truck and it works fine at hwy. speeds.

there are no differences in gear reduction when in high/high. the kick final drive at the t'case is 1:1 and the sammi one will remain at whatever kind you got in there. baby lobster,4.1, 6.1, stock etc.

as for the spline count, the sammi tranny slip yoke is not the same as the kick's. the kick is alot bigger so it's necessary to use the kick driveshaft.

I considered the OTT at one point and if i decided to build up my SWB I would've gone that way. luckily, I came across a LWB so the ghetto fab job was more ideal to me.

Just a thought, would the kick t-case fit without removing the fwd section? If so, that would be a nice PTO attachment point, just put the rear t-case in nuetral and the front in 4wd. I wonder if you could turn enough rpm's to run a winch or a seperate altenator for welding, etc?
R/T

I think the reason the front output was cut off was so that the front drive shaft from the second Tcase would fit

im concidering doing this in my lwb... ive got 2 parts trackers sitting here to pick off of, one 5 speed one auto, ive already stolen a 1.6 from one, adapted to my 1.3 tranny... if i were to use the kick 5 speed and case would it be any shorter of a setup? i havent looked at how long the 5 speed is compared to the auto... also these are both 89's and someone told me an 89 kick case is weird and doesnt work for certain things.. whats up with that?... ive also already dont the RUF/CJ mods but my axles are sitting in stock location

dirtdevil said:
im concidering doing this in my lwb... ive got 2 parts trackers sitting here to pick off of, one 5 speed one auto, ive already stolen a 1.6 from one, adapted to my 1.3 tranny... if i were to use the kick 5 speed and case would it be any shorter of a setup? i havent looked at how long the 5 speed is compared to the auto... also these are both 89's and someone told me an 89 kick case is weird and doesnt work for certain things.. whats up with that?... ive also already dont the RUF/CJ mods but my axles are sitting in stock location

not sure about the 89 kick cases being any different from the newer kick cases. I ran an 89 case and later put in a 92 case.  when I did the mod to them they were identical and same with there performance.  I do know the 4spd auto's are longer than the 3spd ones. the 3spd autos are the same length as 5-speeds.  my CJ/RUF were on dual shackles and I also drilled new holes further back to relocate them.  this may be why your CJ/RUF setup is different than mine.  my wheelbase was eventually 100" 

vitbits037.jpg

This is what i ended up with when i followed your idea's

It's a vit tcase mated to a sammy t case.
They were just temp ones while i lined it all up, made some beefy ones when i was satisfied with the set up.

its been on the truck for 6 months now with no probs.

suzota said:
It's a vit tcase mated to a sammy t case.
They were just temp ones while i lined it all up, made some beefy ones when i was satisfied with the set up.

its been on the truck for 6 months now with no probs.

Pics of it installed would be very nice ;)

hello again, been awhile but I got some more stuff I thought I should add to build up the thread.  here's a pic of the kick t'case welded up

tcase2.jpg

there was some warpage and to compensate I just screwed in a plate to keep it from leaking.  ghetto but functional.

before I install the unit I thought I'd lower the powertrain to reduce driveline angles and lower the COG.  cut off all the mounts and tacked them in place 1.5 inches lower from stock.
projectwintercrawler11.jpg

now I gotta build some new mounts for the tcases.  I might as well go all out here and beef it up. pre cut all the pieces for the sammi bucket.

transfercase2.jpg

miscstuff5.jpg

transfercase-3.jpg

tcasefrontview1.jpg

tcaserearsideview.jpg

hope this holds up!

I never had good luck with the sammi t'case rubber mounts and the kingpin design seems alot stronger but I thought this is the ultimate way to go.

tcasemountparts.jpg

can't beat poly bushings!

tcasemount.jpg

Nice bucket!  Did you make it all yourself?  It looks kindof like Rockrat's bucket, except I don't remember his having the upper rear plate with 4-bolts and all the fingers on the front.  :)  I'm building one similar right now.  Should have finished pics tomorrow.  I'm not doing all the front bolts, but I'm doing the three around the rear output, and possibly the four at the top rear like yours.  Basically, a big improvement of bracing on both mounts either way.  Nice job!  ;D

suzota said:
vitbits037.jpg

This is what i ended up with when i followed your idea's
Do you have any trouble with vibration @ road speed? also, would love to see pics of your permanent mounts that join the two cases....

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine
Back
Top Bottom