July 2010 ZOOM - 416 (Tim Pink)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genchaos

Congratulations for winning the July 2010 Zuwharrie Owner of the Month!

content

How does it feel being honored along with the past winners?
To be honest it is a bit of a surprise,

So tell us about you.  Who are you, where do you live, and what do you do for a living?
I am 51 years old and live between the sea and the Cambrian Mountains in Mid Wales UK. I work for an Organic Dairy company as Health Safety and Sustainability Manager.

Tell us a bit about your family.
I have been married to Sue for 25 years, I have 1 daughter aged 14 & 2 sons one aged 12 the other aged 11. My middle son has Asperger’s Syndrome, a form of autism

How did you get started in Suzuki’s? And/or how did you come across your current zuk?

I was working in the ‘80s as a farm manager and needed a 4WD to get about the farm, we settled on a Suzuki SJ413K, a LWB pickup. This was purchased new and I used the truck for 18 months until moving to another job. I had a Landrover D90 as a farm runaround for the second job; the 413K was better suited to what I was doing!

Alongside having 4WD for work I also used them for my hobbies. My parents had a Series 2A Landrover which was converted into a camper, this was used for family holidays and it was also the vehicle I learnt to drive in. Whilst I was at Agricultural College I became interested in off-roading, I joined one of the UK offroad clubs (The All Wheel Drive Club). Once I had sufficient spare cash I bought my own Landrover, selling it a few years later to buy a house when I got married. After a few promotions we were in a position to buy another 4WD so bought a 1957 series 1 Landrover, I built this up and started competing in Trials. Eventually I was persuaded to have a go at a speed event, one event and I was hooked. I competed in the Landrover until it hit a tree and shortened the chassis on one side by 3”. After this I built a race truck (a space framed Daihatsu F50) for a mate and we competed for 4 years in various championships eventually coming 2nd in class in the British Off Road Championship. We were beaten by a Samurai with a 1300 Twin Cam. As a result of this I made up my mind to build my own truck based on a Suzuki. When funds permitted I came across a LWB pickup not far from where I live, the deal was done & I started preparing it to race. The original intention was to

How long did it take you to build your Zuk to what it is today?
I have had my present Suzuki for 7 years, it has been constantly evolving in that time and it will continue to evolve until I can make it no quicker!

Any changes in store for your rig? And where would you like to see your zuk in 5 years?

The racer is currently undergoing a full rebuild and I am not competing at all this season so I can spend the time to do it properly. New engine (160Hp), new gearbox, new cage and new body. In 5 years time I suspect I will have been relegated to race engineer and my daughter will be racing the truck!

If you could have anybody else’s Zuk, who’s would it be and why?

I will be honest, I have spent so much time (and $) on mine coupled with the fact that what I use it for is almost unique I am perfectly happy with mine. There are a few of the extreme rock crawlers in the US that interest me plus there was a “Suzuki” that took part in the KOH race that I really like, however f

What has been your best wheeling adventure?
Sue and I were staying on her uncle’s farm in the mountains, we had taken our Series 1 Landrover and were driving the lanes and tracks around the farm. We were dared to drive on one of the disused tracks on their farm leading to a ruined farmstead. It was a switch back track running to the bottom of an isolated valley. We were the first vehicle down the track for 25 years, even with a competition spec cage we felt vulnerable as there was a 800’ roll if I got it wrong. It was a fantastic spot to drive to and after hiking about the valley for an hour or two we went to drive back. Getting back up the first part of the mountain was a real challenge as it was both steep and very slippery. A few days after the trip Sue’s uncles informed us that they had never driven past the 2nd switch back and that no vehicle had been to the bottom of the valley before. They could not believe that we had driven where we had and had got back without assistance.

If you could go to any place in the world to wheel, where would that be?

Baja, I would really like to compete in one of the Score races, it will probably never happen but one can dream

What other toys/hobbies do you put a lot of time into?

The racer takes up all the time I can spare and some so I only really have time for the one hobby. I also believe in putting back into a club what you take out so I get involved in helping out at races and try to act as Clerk of Course (equivalent of Race Director) at one event per year.

What is it about the Zuwharrie.com BBS that brings you back for more?

It is a welcoming community that is a lot more tolerant than other websites. The level of technical expertise is high and people are more than willing to spend time sharing this expertise.

What about the Zuwharrie Event would you like to see changed?
Unfortunately I have never been to the Zu, there are several thousand miles of water in the way

Contact Information:
Name: Tim Pink
Zuwharrie user name: 416
Nickname: 
Email:  timpink@btinternet.com

Main Vehicle Specs:
Year: 1986
Make: Suzuki
Model: SJ413K
Color: Black/Pink (it will be when it is resprayed)

Driveline: GM 2 liter Redtop engine (forerunner of the Ecotec engine with a Cosworth head) Getrag R25 5 speed manual box converted to hydraulic clutch, single plate paddle clutch with lightened fly wheel. 410 transfer box, Sammy housings, much modified to prevent the housings bending. Front axles are Trail Tough double toughs, rears are RS Manufacturing CrMo shafts with full floater conversion, and rear diff is welded.

Steering: Jimny PAS with Kick pump

Suspension: Rear: Landrover 2 leaf rear parabolic leaf springs, Fox 2” Reservoir shocks, FOA 4” hydraulic bump stops
Front: Landrover 3 leaf rear parabolic leaf springs, Fox 2” Reservoir shocks, FOA 4” hydraulic bump stops

Tires/Wheels : After market side kick wheels with 2” extra offset, tires are BFG mud terrain 215-75-15s

Armor : Very little (armor is heavy, for what I do I have to accept the occasional damage)

Interior : Completely stripped

Exterior : Currently in the process of changing the body for a complete GRP body from a 1980s kit car. Body has been stretched by 10” and converted to a pickup, bonnet has a 4” stretch, I will be using modified SJ wings molded in GRP to save weight.

Recovery gear : tow strap

Best Modification:  Parabolic springs, Fox shocks and FOA bump stops, each part complements the other and gives me exactly what I had hoped for when designing the suspension.

Worse Modification: Lowering the seat 1 day before a race which resulted in me not being able to out the windscreen. After 2 laps I sat on 4 or 5 coats piled above the seat bolsters so I did not crash!

Future Mods:  I am currently re-building the truck as the body fell apart and the 1600 16v was simply not powerful enough. The specs above are what I have done so far (or have purchased the parts to do) I plan to fit cutting brakes to the front and a spool in the back. Ultimately I may fit Landrover D90 axles with coil overs, a lot will be dependent on how the truck performs in the races next season.

Other Clubs: All Wheel Drive Club

content

content

content

content

ZOOM EDITOR:
Steve

Attachments

• IMG.webp
    IMG.webp
    25 KB · Views: 807
  • july 09 007.webp